Hello friends, I'm back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello friends, I'm back...

Hi John and friends, Sorry for having taken a break. I was also taking blood pressure medication which was dragging me down. I reduced the dosage using isometric handgrip excercises and also had hip replacement surgery, but am now finally 100% back (better than before actually, because of no pain and more flexibility in my left hip....).

Welcome Back Phil. Glad you are feeling better. We missed you and your insights on the forum.

Looking forward to all your great contributions to come.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
      Hi John and friends, Sorry for having taken a break. I was also taking blood pressure medication which was dragging me down. I reduced the dosage using isometric handgrip excercises and also had hip replacement surgery, but am now finally 100% back (better than before actually, because of no pain and more flexibility in my left hip....).
      Good news...and what a great time to make a comeback...just as 2014 is about to commence. Are you managing to play tennis yet?
      Stotty

Comment

Yes, back to tennis again.

Serving two months back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxMc1nDgvnM
        (Still problems with the racket drop...darn...)

and rallying indoors last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBUiXrrL8HE

P.S. don't forget I am 68....

Comment

Wonderful!! Welcome back Phil.
          You've missed out on all the discussion of the ATP vs WTA forehand and Brian Gordon's work on that ATP forehand which is right in line with the flip you were advocating long before he published his research. If you haven't already seen it, be sure to catch up on Brian's work and Macci's lessons on same.

And what's wrong with 68?!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

don

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
            Yes, back to tennis again.

Serving two months back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxMc1nDgvnM
            (Still problems with the racket drop...darn...)
            Can't we get a look at this in slow motion?

Are you by chance using a grip that is leaning slightly towards a backhand grip? I notice you adjust your fingers as the serve commences. Is this just a habit or are you resettling the grip in another position? All these things are too distant to be sure of so can you confirm them...or better still, do some clips in slow motion and closer up? Doesn't matter how old you are, we can always tweak something here and there that may or may not make a difference.
            Stotty

Comment

Phil,

Regarding your post on John's thread, I don't think there is anything significant to be gained by keeping the swing on one side of the body, since many good players seem to do this without detriment.

I'd work more on improving the rhythm if I were you. Doug Eng's three articles on service rhythm are an interesting read...here's part one:

You might want work on initiating the start more smoothly...get both arms working more smoothly together. A longer, deeper swing may give you more rhythm, and if you're lucky your drop may improve as a result also.

Just some thoughts....
              Stotty

Comment

Thanks Stotty, will try...

Comment

Welcome back...Phil!

It's just great to have you back and posting. The more the merrier! For instance...it's wonderful to wake up here in Sweden to see that you, DougEng, GeoffWilliams, julian1 and klacr have been busy. Along with the rest of the crew here it is super to have more different ideas and opinions about every single facet of the game including Federer's backhand to Wawrinka's tattoo...just to mention a couple of Swiss fun facts in honor of your comeback.

Keep up the good work and it is just great to have you back. Notice how I waited a bit...just to add to the suspense. But as for it being weird that the the little country of Switzerland is excelling at tennis...I have heard that the Swiss people are a bit strange as a whole. It must be something to do with all of that neutrality business or the water. Culturally speaking...weird. Weird as in something that is different to one's own culture. Sort of like I find the Swedish culture...weird is not quite the word. Maybe "quirky". bottle likes that term better. When I moved here I "discovered" that Björn Borg wasn't just quiet and modest...he was just being "Swedish".

I remember once I said that Marion Bartolli's service motion was unorthodox and he took somewhat exception to that, in a good natured way, he suggested it was quirky. I went along with that...as far as I possibly can. You see...when it comes to teaching tennis I find that it is more a matter of being Fundamentally Correct (FC). But with regard to Stanislas Wawrinka and Roger Federer you couldn't find two players that are more FC than these two. Two sides of the same coin. One more of a slice and dicer (or at least he should endeavor to be) and the other a modern day classic pounder of the tennis ball. Guess which is which.

What is it about Swiss people that others might find them weird? You would know the answer to that because of your years in America. Talk about weird...culturally speaking. But at any rate...it is great to have you back. You and your "weird" take on things. Sometimes I use the word "weird" to denote that it is an idea of someone else's other than my own. Just kidding by the way...sort of. Afterall...as one forum contributor suggested to me to "stop being so full of myself" or something to that effect...to which I retorted...if I am not full of myself what am I full of.

Hahaha...at any rate...welcome back.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 01-30-2014, 01:35 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks Don,
                    By the way, my two favorite tennis partners are a Swede and a Norwegian. Both very nice, laid-back guys. There is a very large Swedish colony here in Lugano, and they stage their own events.

Should you ever come South to Lugano some day, be sure to let me know and we can get together. Worth considering, because most of the Swedes who came here for a visit years ago, are still here...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8423 users online. 4 members and 8419 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X