Ordered the Zepp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered the Zepp sensor

I ordered the Zepp sensor, should have it next week. Will test it and report.

Good deal. Want to know exactly what it measures...

Comment

Just got my Zepp sensor yesterday, installed it on my tennis racket, and got game statistics on the Zepp iPhone app!

I found it very easy to use. The sensor is inserted in a racket extension (see photo). I thought it might be disturbing while playing, but it isn't. Hardly notice it.

You first load the sensor with a USB connection on, say your PC. When loaded it is good for a couple of hours. You press the sensor for a couple of seconds till led lights begin to blink, then it is ready to record strokes. It works offline.

After the training session, you turn the sensor off by pressing it again.

When you want to see the information from your training session, then you press the sensor to turn it on. In your iPhone settings menu, you activate Bluetooth, and will see that the sensor gets detected after about 15 seconds. You select the Zepp tennis app. This will vocally inform you that the Zepp sensor has been detected, and will begin to synchronize, loading data from the sensor to the Zepp tennis app. After a minute or so, ready to go.

A menu point in the application informs you of all available (including past) training sessions listed on a date/time basis. You select the one you want, and then the statistics are available:

Shot type:
      A pie diagram showing percentage of forehand/backhand/serve/smash shots played, total nr of strokes. For each stroke, breakdown in percentage of spin type: topspin, slice, flat.
      Power
      A graph depicting Power on the y-axis, and strokes over time on the x-axis. Has a point showing the maximum power achieved for a shot during the session.

The power measurement is relative with the racket speed. Due to the difference of racket sizes and shapes, the speed of the sensor is indexed to the ‘power’ number from 0-100. A power of 100 represents a pro men player that uses full power to play forehand/backhand/serve.

Look here for more info.

Comment

Phil, Does that power data seem helpful at all? What can it do re: spin??

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Well, not as much as I hoped for. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I hoped for rpm data and serve speed data. Have taken this up with Zepp if possible and if a later release might include it.

Actually, this looks more promising:

http://www.shot-stats.com/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/20/53...d-availability

These will be available soon, so I expect Zepp will have to improve to compete...
          Last edited by gzhpcu; 01-24-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Babolat tool

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
            Well, not as much as I hoped for. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I hoped for rpm data and serve speed data. Have taken this up with Zepp if possible and if a later release might include it.

Actually, this looks more promising:

http://www.shot-stats.com/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/20/53...d-availability

These will be available soon, so I expect Zepp will have to improve to compete...
            There is a Babolat tool as well.
            See couple of my posts

Comment

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
              There is a Babolat tool as well.
              See couple of my posts
              Did not mention it because it does not offer more than the Zepp sensor.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6TDQCDA3s

Comment

moving targets

Did not mention it because it does not offer more than the Zepp sensor.

See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6TDQCDA3s
                Phil,
                I believe Babolat Play Pure Drive has richer functionality comparing to Zepp.
                Babolat has some additions in the pipe coming as well.
                One of aspects discussed was a location of a ball on a face of a racket
                for a serve (for example).
                There are multiple threads on Tenniswarehouse Forum about Babolat Play Pure Drive

If you have any questions please address them directly to
                dbecker@babolat.com
                I will NOT have a subscription of TennisPlayer after Feb 3.
                If you have any questions/comments you may contact me at
                juliantennis@comcast.net

Julian W.Mielniczuk
                Team Babolat
                USPTA
                Courtside Tennis Club,Bedford,MA
                Last edited by julian1; 01-25-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Spin

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  In the case of a corresponding Babolat product called
                  Babolat Pure Drive the proper person to contact/talk is dbecker@babolat.com
                  Julian W.Mielniczuk
                  USPTA
                  Team Babolat
                  Last edited by julian1; 01-25-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks Julian. Will look into it. I would really find mph very helpful (even if I can't quite figure out how these sensors can do it...).

Comment

Spin

Thanks Julian. Will look into it. I would really find mph very helpful (even if I can't quite figure out how these sensors can do it...).
                      Phil,
                      try to think how can an electronic device distingush between underspin and topspin and sidespin.

Comment

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                        Phil,
                        try to think how can an electronic device distingush between underspin and topspin and sidespin.
                        Swingpath... but mph? unless you enter weight of racket as a parameter. maybe also string tension...

Comment

Mph

Swingpath... but mph? unless you enter weight of racket as a parameter. maybe also string tension...
                          A Babolat device calculates your power in percents.
                          Say your power is 60.
                          You know that max corresponds to 100 miles per hour (stolen from Babolat,say)
                          So your mph per given stoke is 60 miles per hour.
                          I could be wrong but it is my understanding about a Babolat device.

Comment

Racket weight

In the case of a Babolat device it is sold only with one kind of a racket
                            so the device "knows" the weight of the racket.
                            I am NOT sure whether the device knows the string tension.
                            The device is physically in a handle.

Comment

Tenniswarehouse has a video

Please find a video and a customer blog (two different items).
                              Please go to www.tennis-warehouse.com
                              Go to rackets
                              Click Babolat rackets
                              Click Babolat Play Pure Drive
                              Click TW video.
                              The blog indicated by a link.
                              Please let me know whether you had any problems finding a blog AND a video.
                              one of links
                              Last edited by julian1; 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8137 users online. 2 members and 8135 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X