X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footwork and Sanchez-Casal Academy

You are invited to Sanchez-Casal Tennis Academy
    you may see

There is a trainer in a background telling students what to do.

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
    you may see

The link seems to be broken!?
    Stotty

Comment

I will provide a fix

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      The link seems to be broken!?
      I will provide a fix
      Try
      xxxhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnmjeOzWCfs&list=PL561D8FCF7CCE18E9&index= 6

AFTER removing xxx from the front of the string.
      My E-mail juliantennis@comcast.net if needed
      Please let me know whether it works for you.
      Last edited by julian1; 01-17-2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Like it! Not sure my club could afford a set of state of the art treadmills...but it's a great way to train.
        Stotty

Comment

Very creative -- practically a performance! However, I'm not so sure in the end it's so great on the knees!

Comment

How long?

Originally posted by dimitrios View Post
            Very creative -- practically a performance! However, I'm not so sure in the end it's so great on the knees!
            It depends on the length of the session

Comment

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
              you may see

Yes, I am familiar with ACS and what they do. Americans have adopted much of the Spanish style of training. I did training with ACS Academy a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by DougEng View Post
                Yes, I am familiar with ACS and what they do. Americans have adopted much of the Spanish style of training. I did training with ACS Academy a while back.
                Like Doug I was there that day this was taped doing the course. Great exercise for co ordination and balance, but obviously geared more towards high performance players.
                www.mcctennisacademy.com.au

Comment

Question for Julian1

Julian,
                  I have recently come across your treadmill post, showing the Sanchez-Vicario video. I'm personally love their work, have seen and used that video before. You didn't include much reason or comment on why you added it. Would you mind to share a little of the background and why you thought to share it?

Greg Lumb
                  InsideOut Tennis

Comment

There has been a lot of talk about the state of American tennis in contrast to the approach taken by the Spanish...What I see, in the simplest of terms, is a training approach that centers around work ethic, desire, and a "by any means necessary mentality". The Spanish TF recruits, invests, and promotes kids who exhibit these attributes. (I think they've said as much).

I don't necessarily see anything revolutionary in these videos, except that the kids are willing and able to run around in a circle until the coach calls them off...Fortitude, attrition, making the game a physical battle, etc is synonymous with Spanish development. Here in the US, much of the "first strike" emphasis, has sought to make the game "less physical" by developing skills that dictate points, big weapon development, shortening points etc. And it probably has come at the expense of defense, and a "grinding" mentality.

What we know definitively, is that the best are not one trick ponies..They can get it done both on the offensive and defensive ends.
                    Last edited by 10splayer; 02-19-2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I think it's true that Spanish tennis places great emphasis on the points you make. And I'd agree with the first strike orientation of American tennis. And while others here are far more qualified than I am to speak to it, I'd also add that the double rhythm footwork pattern, the uniformity of teaching methods used in Spain, the incredible emphasis on competition being part of the equation are only a few more specific points that differentiate how players are brought up here versus there. I've been working lately with someone well versed in the latest USTA early development stuff, and to be honest, to me it's a bunch of fluff! I believe in every child from 4yrs and up to have FUN while doing anything related to tennis...but it's about hand-eye coordination, it's about balance while moving....it's about learning how to turn ect. I'm scheduled to go to a conference in a couple of months, and maybe I'm seeing it poorly executed...but in contrast to what Luis Mediero demonstrates is their process of introduction, catching the ball against the racquet while holding the throatl-move to the grip ect, ours "sucks ass" pardon my french! I've suggested to John Yandell to have Emilio or Luis to do a piece here. I'm hoping that still is a possibility. I think it would generate an incredible discussion. Chris isn't a bad second though in regards to this philosophy!

Greg Lumb
                      InsideOut Tennis

Comment

Sergio Casal

Originally posted by tntenniswhiz View Post
                        I've suggested to John Yandell to have Emilio or Luis to do a piece here. I'm hoping that still is a possibility. I think it would generate an incredible discussion. Chris isn't a bad second though in regards to this philosophy!

Greg Lumb
                        InsideOut Tennis
                        I went on a course last year taken by Sergio Casal and his team. The Spanish often come to the UK to deliver coaching courses. It was a great course and well delivered. The Spanish put huge emphasis on footwork and fitness. They also put great emphasis on playing points correctly, and most of their basket drills (they always basket feed) replicate the patterns of correct decision-making a player should use in points. I think this is significant.

A good section of the course was spent showing coaches how to basket feed to great effect; the timing of releasing balls and how to increase and decrease difficulty...clever stuff. Often they drop balls by hand for the player to hit. I enjoyed the course a lot.
                        Last edited by stotty; 02-20-2014, 03:09 PM.
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by tntenniswhiz View Post
                          I think it's true that Spanish tennis places great emphasis on the points you make. And I'd agree with the first strike orientation of American tennis. And while others here are far more qualified than I am to speak to it, I'd also add that the double rhythm footwork pattern, the uniformity of teaching methods used in Spain, the incredible emphasis on competition being part of the equation are only a few more specific points that differentiate how players are brought up here versus there. I've been working lately with someone well versed in the latest USTA early development stuff, and to be honest, to me it's a bunch of fluff! I believe in every child from 4yrs and up to have FUN while doing anything related to tennis...but it's about hand-eye coordination, it's about balance while moving....it's about learning how to turn ect. I'm scheduled to go to a conference in a couple of months, and maybe I'm seeing it poorly executed...but in contrast to what Luis Mediero demonstrates is their process of introduction, catching the ball against the racquet while holding the throatl-move to the grip ect, ours "sucks ass" pardon my french! I've suggested to John Yandell to have Emilio or Luis to do a piece here. I'm hoping that still is a possibility. I think it would generate an incredible discussion. Chris isn't a bad second though in regards to this philosophy!

Greg Lumb
                          InsideOut Tennis
                          Yeah, Chris's article's are great, and i too would like to see something written by Emilio or Luis. But hey, it's tough to demand more here, as the content here really is grade A.

As i'm leaving the profession soon (after 25 yrs) Ive found myself quite reflective, on the subject of American tennis. Our development emphasis, recruitment, what we did right/wrong etc on both an industry and personal level.

For the first two thirds of my career I worked in high level jr development, and i can tell you the whole "first strike" , big weapon development, dictatating points, etc. were the the conventional wisdom of the day. And for the most part, i bought into it. Upon reflection, i wonder whether it was a good idea (not just personally but industry wide) I just don't know.

On one hand, we (U.S product) have not produced one current successful prototype (defender and offensive) Hell, with the exception of Chang (more out of necessity) we haven't even produced one great defender, grinder.....

And yet.....Who's to say Agassi would have been any good, if his father EVER allowed him to step backwards to play a shot. As I've mentioned before, i consider him one of the best ball striker's I've ever seen. Would he have been better with a different development style? I know a guy like Roddick would have never been the kind of player he turned out to be if not for the weapon development...His first serve/forehand combo was lethal. Certainly much better then average..and the only reason he was world class. He was (tennis specific wise) not a natural mover and capable of out grinding or moving, defending anyone at that level. Was he better or worse off learning the more of the American style? You tell me.

And then there's Davenport. Just for the record, I consider what Lansdorp did with her, to be the single greatest coaching feat in tennis history. This girl, had the athleticism of a librarian. There was only one way for her to be world class, and that was to hit it MUCH better then the rest. Which she most certainly did. I've seen her person a few times, and have never seen a woman hit the ball like that. Just laser after laser. Unbelievable. Lindsay may not have even been a good college player if not for her ability to dictate points, with the fire power she developed....

I find it a very interesting topic.
                          Last edited by 10splayer; 02-21-2014, 03:23 PM.

Comment

A shame for tennis...

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post

As i'm leaving the profession soon (after 25 yrs) Ive found myself quite reflective, on the subject of American tennis. Our development emphasis, recruitment, what we did right/wrong etc on both an industry and personal level.
                            It would be a terrible shame for tennis to loose a coach like you, 10splayer. All that experience and coaching knowledge is hard to replace. You seem to understand the science/mechanics of the game so well. Did you loose heart for the job, or just fancy a change? I told stroke if American had a hundred coaches like you, you'd have better players over there. He agreed.

I agree about Davenport. I saw her at Wimbledon. I think she is the best striker of a tennis ball I have ever seen...and I'm including the men in that. This what I try to get across to forum members. Some players you have to see players live to really appreciate what's going on.
                            Stotty

Comment

A Coach of coaches!

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              It would be a terrible shame for tennis to loose a coach like you, 10splayer. All that experience and coaching knowledge is hard to replace. You seem to understand the science/mechanics of the game so well. Did you loose heart for the job, or just fancy a change? I told stroke if American had a hundred coaches like you, you'd have better players over there. He agreed.

I agree about Davenport. I saw her at Wimbledon. I think she is the best striker of a tennis ball I have ever seen...and I'm including the men in that. This what I try to get across to forum members. Some players you have to see players live to really appreciate what's going on.
                              10splayer,

I too am saddened by the prospect of the tennis landscape losing you as a generator of skilled tennis players! I thoroughly enjoy your contributions here, without which I wouldn't have nearly the confidence I do when I practice my trade as an independent teaching professional. I have come to this profession from a non-traditional place, having spent only a couple of years at area country clubs. The pros at those facilities haven't modified their instruction in 15 yrs, and found myself at great odds with their methods and the general restrictions of a club. So, it's only through mediums like this and my other adopted mentoring heroes that I've been able to be educated in a way that I truly believe I am able to one become a world class tennis teaching professional! I have many bridges to cross before I make that self-declaration of arrival (JY hasn't created a certification process yet via TennisPlayer), but I at least see a path on which to trod! Your contributions here have been a great assistance.

It's my hope, that when you say, "leaving the profession soon" that you really mean only a certain aspect of the profession. Our industry needs experienced people like yourself to teach others how to become the next high level junior development coach! In my opinion, it's another huge hole in American tennis player development. USPTA, PTR, and the USTA all have a growing number of certification programs all containing some very good material. As I work to improve my own knowledge base, develop a more effective progression for my students, I struggle with who to align myself with ect. Tennisplayer, and people like yourself on this site, have become in many ways my filter for information obtained elsewhere. I say all this only to encourage you to "hang around", simply because I, and others like me,(I think there are some out there like me), who need to have people like you to help us find the road to teaching excellence. I'm currently applying to one of the local clubs that seems to be genuinely interested in creating a quality tennis program. I need them for their indoor facility which my lack of having prohibits me from accomplishing anything significant in our area. They are really impressed with how I taught, what I seem to know, but in the back of their mind, they are wondering, who the hell is this guy? He didn't come up through the ranks of a club! In my mind, I know so much more because I didn't! And there needs to be more like me! But it's a scary place, without a proven path of to the ranks of "high level jr. development". Have you seen what it takes to get into USTA High Development? It appears to me to be an act of Congress, yet one of the issues is lack of coaching quality. A bit of an oxymoron. I say all this to encourage you to continue contributing in some capacity. If nothing else on here as you have at TennisPlayer, but to possibly consider ways to position yourself to be a coach to coaches. You've been doing it already, I'm proof of that. But if you're limiting some of your other player responsibilities, the next generation of coaches needs your experience and wealth of knowledge!!!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7886 users online. 3 members and 7883 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X