Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serving to different locations: set-up, toss, and racket kinematics of the profession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving to different locations: set-up, toss, and racket kinematics of the profession

Serving to different locations: set-up, toss, and racket kinematics of the professional tennis serve.
    Machar Reid, David Whiteside, Bruce Elliott
    Sport Science Unit, Tennis Australia, Melbourne, Australia.
    Sports Biomechanics (SPORT BIOMECH)Publisher: International Society for the Biomechanics of Sport, Taylor & Francis ISSN: 1476-31410

Sports Biomechanics (Impact Factor: 0.74). 11/2011; 10(4):407-14. DOI:10.1080/14763141.2011.629206
    Source: PubMed
    ABSTRACT The serve, as the most important stroke in tennis, has attracted considerable biomechanical interest. Of its component parts, the swing has received disproportionate research attention and consequently, little is known regarding toss kinematics. Indeed, the age-old question of whether players serve to different parts of the court from the same toss remains unanswered. Six right-handed professionally ranked players hit first serves (FSs) and second serves (SSs) to three 2 x 1 m target areas reflecting the landing locations of T, body and wide serves, respectively, on the deuce court. A 22 camera, 250 Hz VICON MX motion analysis system captured racket, ball, foot, and h and kinematics. Repeated measures ANOVAs assessed within-player differences in foot, racket, and ball kinematics within the FS and SS as a function of landing location.

The positions of the front foot, ball zenith, and ball impact were significantly different in the FS, while kinematics across all SS were consistent.

Front foot position was closer to the centre mark in the T FS and players impacted the ball further left in the wide FS compared to the T FS.

This study discusses the findings in the context of the development of the serve as well as potential implications for the return.
    Last edited by julian1; 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM.

My comments

My comments about post#1 above:

1.The article is about a high performance only
    2.It discusses single play ONLY

Julian W.Mielniczuk
    Team Babolat
    Last edited by julian1; 01-29-2014, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Sampras always tossed at 11 oclock for flat serves, and 12 oclock for wide slices. My favorite server of all time. For those who never saw him play, any time he was in trouble, blam, wham, thank you ace.

Comment

I thought John had addressed these points in one of his recent articles...

Comment

Conclusions

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          I thought John had addressed these points in one of his recent articles...
          Phil,
          We're conclusions by John the same ?

Are you talking about an article from a January issue of 2014?
          It addresses the FIRST serve.

The abstract I posted talks about differences of toss between a first and a second serve.
          As you probably know I coach so the issue what/how to coach is important to me.
          Julian W.Mielniczuk
          Head Boys' Tennis Coach
          Catholic Memorial
          West Roxbury
          Last edited by julian1; 01-30-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Test

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8432 users online. 4 members and 8428 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X