No announcement yet.

Building A World Class One Hander: Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure what the teaching models are (Spanish, traditional, current pro technique, whatever), but to hit a 1-handed topspin backhand well ( that is, hard sometimes, and/or with dipping spin), there are certain fundamentals that must be followed.

Fundamental: You can't reach out to the side too much as you make contact with the ball. Look at Federer's weak backhands as his contact point is toward the sideline. He hits much better as he gets behind the ball & contacts closer to his body, more at front. (The junior players in the video here were taught to contact the ball too far to the side. Their swings are more of an "around swing," rather than an explosive swing in which power is directed in line towards the target.)

Fundamental: You shouldn't hit it too much with a comparatively straight arm. Look at the backhands of Kuerten, Wawrinka. There are a lot of right angles between racket & forearm during the swing. Hitting close to body, out front, with right angles for leverage provides power & control. [Kuerten has a big swing, but his swing also starts with a tight, compact foundation with proper leverage.] (The junior players in the video here are too stiff-armed. Their arms are comparatively too straight throughout the swing, with contact too far to the sideline. It's easy to see their swings don't have natural power or the natural control to make the dipping topspin.)

Fundamental: The elbow should not be too far away from the body. Look at Kuerten & Wawrinka. As they start their 1-handed topspin backhands, their elbows have the feeling that their is a connection with the body. Certainly at contact point with the ball, their elbows feel a solid connection with the body. It is somewhat like lifting a box. You can't lift a box well if your arms are stretched too much from your body. Similarly, bad things happen if your arms are stretched too far away at contact point on the 1-handed topspin backhand. (The juniors position themselves for a stroke in which the elbow does not have a close enough connection to the body. One thing a coach could do is use a speed gun to measure the juniors' backhands, & prod them to hit ever harder. In that way, perhaps the kids could teach themselves, figure out a way to hit harder. Right now, with the swings they have been taught, those kids can't really blast a topspin.)

By the way, these fundamentals should be followed also when players attempt 1-handed topspin backhands in which the strings grab the ball well, with the resultant dramatic topspin dip during ball flight.

Earlier I mentioned the backhand punches that are illegal in boxing, but that are really the basis for a great 1-handed topspin backhand. If these junior players put on boxing gloves & hit a heavy punching bag with backhand punches, it would give them the proper idea of how to hit great 1-handed topspin backhands. It would significantly (& quickly) facilitate their development for that stroke. (The junior players here are pretty good, but they dream of becoming great. Why not teach them a little better?)

Comment

What is important?

Taking a detour...

I know a young man who recently graduated from Ferris State University (Michigan) that works for Chris Lewit at his academy. He speaks highly of Mr. Lewit, his teaching style and management of staff. So it doesn't surprise me that Mr. Lewit responded to numerous posts in a fair, intelligent, insightful and respectful way.

This thread has been great in the discussion of teaching the one-hander. The breadth and depth of information shared makes us all better. How boring would it be if we all agreed? It is these differences that help us learn. I can only speak for myself when I say all the frequent contributors on this forum have helped provide me with better teaching and understanding of the game. I hope they can say for same about me.

Getting back to this article. What teaching philosophy is the best for the one-handed backhand? There are many ways to hit a tennis ball and numerous paths to take to get to the final destination. Is there a better way?

Great coaches have the ability to adapt and flex their teachings to suit the student's capabilities, while still getting the student to execute what the coach truly wants. Students learn differently and all have their own quirks.

Some say what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Coming from a food and cooking background, I can tell you what is good for the goose is actually 3 hours in a roasting pan at 375 degrees with olive oil, thyme and a sprig of rosemary. But I digress...

The true stars and topic of this article should be the kids. These kids at 8,9,10 years old have better one-handed backhand technique than most kids at their same age that we've seen and taught. Their strokes will change with their bodies and games. With that said, the real thrill in this One-handed backhand piece is the look of intensity, fire and interest in their eyes as they prepare to hit their shots. I love to see that passion in kids this age. You just know they love tennis. Hopefully that tennis bug bit them pretty hard. A good coach can make that tennis bug attack their students pretty hard.

This may be heresy on this forum but I don't want to talk about these kids' development into the pro game and how their technique needs to be shaped up to do so. These juniors are setting up for a nice career, maybe in pros, maybe in college tennis. That is certainly a credit to Chris lewit. But I think a bigger credit to any coach is developing juniors that have great technique that causes no injuries and a greater motivation to keep playing long after their competitive careers are done. having students that still love the game and play well in to adulthood is something really special. Talented players and kids with pro level talent are great, and we've all been around those players, but give me a player who truly loves this sport and thats a gift that will keep giving.

A great idea for a future article on tennisplayer.net is for Mr. Lewit to keep us posted on these kids development for the one-hander in 3, 5, 7 years. I'd love to know how the shots progressed, evolved or changed, either dramitically or not.

Long live the one-hander.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Thank you to Chris Lewit for a very clear and well-written series on the back-handed backhand.

I had two questions, which I'd be grateful if Chris, or anyone else, could answer :

Where Chris writes in the article "I like strong grips. A strong grip is the basis for developing the one-hander as a weapon, with velocity and spin", does "strong grip" refer to how firmly one is holding the racket? Or is it referring to how rotated the racket is (ie. does a strong eastern grip mean a grip halfway between an eastern grip and a semi-western?).

Also, since it's not mentioned in the article: how firmly should one be gripping the racket, particularly at the point of contact with the ball?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          Thank you to Chris Lewit for a very clear and well-written series on the back-handed backhand.

I had two questions, which I'd be grateful if Chris, or anyone else, could answer :

Where Chris writes in the article "I like strong grips. A strong grip is the basis for developing the one-hander as a weapon, with velocity and spin", does "strong grip" refer to how firmly one is holding the racket? Or is it referring to how rotated the racket is (ie. does a strong eastern grip mean a grip halfway between an eastern grip and a semi-western?).

Also, since it's not mentioned in the article: how firmly should one be gripping the racket, particularly at the point of contact with the ball?

Thank you
          By "strong" I meant Eastern to Semi-Western grip structure for topspin and power. I think more extreme grips help to mitigate the classic weakness of the classic one handed backhand--which is high bouncing balls. I think in today's heavy topspin game, the extra grip helps keep the one hander relevant and effective.

Grip firmness is a personal opinion but I believe in general that the hand should squeeze a little firmer at impact and should be relatively relaxed otherwise. Let me know if you have any other questions

Chris Lewit

Comment

Hi Chris, thank you very much.

I've been struggling with trying to keep a relaxed grip on the backhand, so I'l try what you suggest.

At the moment, I find that if I grip very firmly, from the start of preparation for the swing, it puts me in mind for an aggressive top-spin shot, and generally gives me confidence that I can predict what will happen in the execution of the stroke. I become very unsure when the grip is more relaxed in the preparation (but I've been aiming to have it relaxed at the contact point too, so I hope your suggestion might help there - thanks you).

I had the same problem when trying to stay relaxed on the forehand stroke, and have had some success by persevering, but seem to be finding it more difficult on the backhand.

Thanks again. I did have one more question - any plans on a Kindle or electronic edition of the "Tennis Technique Bible"?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9425 users online. 5 members and 9420 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X