Clear All

• Vic Seixas: Full Life, Happy Man

Would love to get your thoughts on Lee Tyler's latest, "Vic Seixas:
    Full Life, Happy Man"

What a career

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Would love to get your thoughts on Lee Tyler's latest, "Vic Seixas:
    Full Life, Happy Man"
    I really enjoy these articles about players from bygone eras. They evoke great memories of how tennis used to be. I love their stories. It's amazing to think a player like Vic had to quit at 34 and take a regular job. These days a player of Vic's ranking would be made for life.

And how anyone survives the whole day on a bowl of cereal and fruit in the morning right the way until supper time is beyond me. Surely his diet wasn't like that in his playing career?!

I'm with him on the time taken between points issue, but then that goes back a long way now...right back to Connors.

But I wonder if players like Vic really see how much the game has changed. By that I mean how much the "vicious spin and velocity" of today's game has made it so difficult to play the type of tennis Vic played in the 50s.

Until you see Nadal hitting his forehands live, you can really have no idea what someone like Federer is up against. It doesn't come across the same on TV.
    Last edited by stotty; 02-08-2014, 03:30 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

Until you see Nadal hitting his forehands live, you can really have no idea what someone like Federer is up against. It doesn't come across the same on TV.
      Right, that is why we need the back, groundlevel view again for TV.

Just an aside: I read that Pancho Gonzalez would also starve himself during tournaments and drink coke during changeovers...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        Right, that is why we need the back, groundlevel view again for TV.

Just an aside: I read that Pancho Gonzalez would also starve himself during tournaments and drink coke during changeovers...
        No need to sell me the benefits ground level filming...I'm on your page.

If I did a Gonzales or Seixas diet, I'd flake out after 15 minutes play. I just need my food. How do people do that.
        Stotty

Comment

I don't find it HAPPY that Vic Seixas stopped "picking up a racket" c. 70 . The most fun this late bloomer has had in tennis has been between 70 and 74 .

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            No need to sell me the benefits ground level filming...I'm on your page.

If I did a Gonzales or Seixas diet, I'd flake out after 15 minutes play. I just need my food. How do people do that.
            32g of sugar in a 16 oz bottle.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8004 users online. 5 members and 7999 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X