Rotterdam ATP500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotterdam ATP500

Did any of you see Janowicz/Bennetteau? Bennetteau played a pretty good match. Served 74% first serves. 24 winners vs 11 ufe's. But Jerzy played really solid on his serve. Only 2 df's total, both in the second set and one break point allowed in the last two sets, none in the third. Jerzy had 40 winners and 28 ufe's. He was also pretty fortunate on the let cords. It is amazing what the potential is there if he ever gets really mentally tough. Just imagine if he improves physically as much the next 3 years as Murray did at that age. But that's not the real question, except to keep him healthy. The question is mental toughness. I'd be working hard on his volleys and emphasizing he could afford to let the opponent touch his approach shots, ... if he is a good volleyer. Doesn't have to be great, just good. Rarity these days.

This is where I would disagree with hockeyscout. He really is not that mature for someone 23 years old. Relatively well traveled, but not mature. Getting better, but a long way to go in the next 3 years, at which point he could be amazing. I'm still hopeful.

Couldn't believe the commentator on TennisTV didn't know the net outside the singles stick is as much out as the umpire's chair or a light. What's the ruling if the ball actually hits the singles stick and goes in? I seem to remember that is a good ball. Anyone?

don
    Last edited by tennis_chiro; 02-11-2014, 10:48 PM.

Jury is for me thusfar...

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post

What's the ruling if the ball actually hits the singles stick and goes in? I seem to remember that is a good ball. Anyone?

don
    Yes it counts as the net sticks are a "fixed" oncourt feature, like the net posts. I hit the top of the net post in a match once...the ball bounced of the net post and went in...it counted.

I missed the match you referred to and have only seen Jerzy play maybe four or five times. The one thing that worries me which doesn't improve on each occasion I have seen him is his temperament. There is something petulant, manic...self-destructive about Jerzy. He has been self-destructed at key moments when I've watched him.

It's annoying because he's not stupid as far I can make out. The encouraging thing is Agassi was like that at times (though not so bad and not so often as Jerzy) during his youth and got through it. There are demons in Jerzy and he needs to deal with them.

I find his forehand incredibly powerful but struck so flat that his error count can be high. Murray soaked him up at Wimbledon last year and relied on the fact Jerzy would make too many errors. I think we could do with a tad more topspin here...

He is young yet, but Jerzy needs to make significant strides in the next few years in the temperament department.
    Stotty

Comment

Rotterdam...The Netherlands 2014

Great find tennis_chiro! Jerzy is certainly an interesting character and the potential is sort of scary. The question is why is he so immature emotionally and in his tennis game. Potential essentially means that there is room for improvement and if he were to glean every little crumb of his potential...the sky is the limit. It was only a first round match against a seasoned pro, but still he has got to start "rountining" these guys at some point. Certainly if they speed up the courts this will be one guy that should help. But a big liability for him is his two hand backhand. It should be a one.

Two very interesting matches at the top of the draw. Grigor Dimitrov vs. Ernests "Ernesto" Gulbis and Juan Martin "The Jolly Argentine" Del Potro vs. Gail Monfils. A possible Tomas Berdych vs. Jerzy "Joe" Janowicz looming just two rounds down the road. In the bottom half of the draw is a bunch of "snoozers" with UK's Andy Murray laying on the bottom of the whole thing. He is just beginning to reach his peak form right about now if all is going well.

Great find tennis_chiro. This will give us something constructive to talk about. Big thanks...Big Brother!
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

We are on the same page

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        Yes it counts as the net sticks are a "fixed" oncourt feature, like the net posts. I hit the top of the net post in a match once...the ball bounced of the net post and went in...it counted.

I missed the match you referred to and have only seen Jerzy play maybe four or five times. The one thing that worries me which doesn't improve on each occasion I have seen him is his temperament. There is something petulant, manic...self-destructive about Jerzy. He has been self-destructed at key moments when I've watched him.

It's annoying because he's not stupid as far I can make out. The encouraging thing is Agassi was like that at times (though not so bad and not so often as Jerzy) during his youth and got through it. There are demons in Jerzy and he needs to deal with them.

I find his forehand incredibly powerful but struck so flat that his error count can be high. Murray soaked him up at Wimbledon last year and relied on the fact Jerzy would make too many errors. I think we could do with a tad more topspin here...

He is young yet, but Jerzy needs to make significant strides in the next few years in the temperament department.
        Feel pretty much the same way. I could barely watch the Australian matches he played. Then I found out he hadn't practiced until just a couple of days before the tournament began because of his injuries....But the attitude is troubling. Really immature for 23. But plus 12 against Benneteau is a pretty good ratio. And the winners were ridiculous. I think they might have been a little heavier with topspin, but ridiculous. He doesn't appear to be overswinging, but they are ridiculous.

And, don_budge, the horse has left the proverbial barn as far as the one-hander goes. That's not changing, but he could learn a more effective slice drive to mix with the drop shot. Most of all, I think he has to become rock solid at the net to take advantage of that reach.

And I have no idea how people who can reach a foot higher into the air than I can could not get more than 60% of their first serves in (or double fault). Benneteau caught him a couple of times blocking the big flat serves back. That's actually harder to do with a slower, heavier ball like Sampras's.

don

Comment

Consistency...The Hallmark of Great Tennis Champions

I really enjoy this ongoing conversation about Jerzy "Joe" Janowicz. An interesting character to be certain, but so far just a blip on the radar screen. Some speculation with regard to the fantastic potential but little substance with regard to the consistency of his performance. Consistency being the hallmark of great tennis champions. My dear old tennis coach Sherman Collins used to preach consistency to me. I was too young and too smart to listen as closely as I should have. Well...there was Vietnam and the scene that distracted me...in my defense. My excuse.

I remember when I turned 24 years of age or so...I was definitely inconsistent but showing some signs of brilliance with the occasional performance of playing out of my mind. But it wasn't a few years later that I started to understand what the term consistency meant in terms of being a tennis player. As I got older and I learned to rely on my experience that I was accumulating I found that my poor performances were fewer and farther between and they were not nearly so bad as the bottom was in the past. Even when I wasn't feeling up to par I knew how to find a way to win...at least I found a way to rise to the occasion.

But consistency in performance is about learning from the past, from good and bad experiences, from luck and fate. It is with regards to the big picture when it comes to what it takes to become a tennis champion. Jerzy at this point can consider himself somewhat of a champion as he is from Lodz, Poland and as far as I know there are not other tennis champions from that neck of the woods. If he wants to crack the top ten or reach final four status consistently in the Grand Slams...well that is another level of the game.

Jerzy Janowicz (a don_budge analysis)

Serve...

I am not completely sold on the motion and I believe there is something suspicious surrounding his grip. Sure he can hit the ball a million miles an hour but as soon as something goes mildly out of kilter you see double faults creeping into his delivery and something that looks like uncertainty. Sure he needs to serve with more spin. Make that...he needs to serve with more spin and intelligence. Give me a couple of hours to tinker with that motion to iron out some of the wrinkles and alter that grip to where it needs to be and then send him to the Stan Smith School of Serving (SSSS). The thunder ball is looking great when he is serving up a ton of aces but that ball is returnable if you can get your racquet on it. It defies the imagination that a guy of his height is not making more use of the space over the net instead of flirting with the tape so much. Jerzy has got another 35% potential of service development left in the bag. Too much potential and not enough rock solid stuff.

Forehand...

I like the flat forehand. You see...you can develop heavy spin from a flat forehand with some tweaking. However it is another story to go from heavy topspin to developing flatter and more penetrating shots. Strong grips and gargantuan backswings are not conducive to hitting underspin either. I think that you must be able to spin the ball both ways...particularly if you are going to go forwards to the net. You cannot rely solely on a flat forehand however because some days you are going to be better than other days...percentage wise speaking. Besides needing tactical options...you must build "margin for error" into your game. That is precisely what spin does...it gives you options and increases your margin for error. I love the flat forehands to attack...but what about defense. Does anyone believe that you can defend on a "consistent" basis without spin?

Backhand...

I believe that at 6' 8" inches tall and 200 pounds this tennis machine is designed to be propelled forwards. Too much side to side motion is going to have destructive results on the joints of such a physique. Has there ever been a player that consistently moved aggressively forwards that had a two handed backhand. I know a thing or two about horses but this has nothing to do with this anomaly in the Jerzy Janowicz game. The two hand backhand limits the mindset to be an aggressive net player and I refer you to Kyle's series on the serve and volley tactic. The only player that I can think of that played a two hand backhand and pressed the net was Björn Borg...and I firmly believe that he actually had a one and a half hand backhand. I swear that I cannot tell if he releases just before or just after he hit the ball way back when...maybe the timing of the release of the hand changed. Whatever...Jerzy at 6' 8" inches does not need a two hand backhand to go forwards...or at any other time. I recommend a two month overhaul to the one handed drive...followed by about six months of taking his medicine on the tour and then see what you have. A perfect machine designed to go forwards...not side to side. He is not a grinder...he is hit or miss. Might as well as take your chances going to the net or otherwise ending things rather quickly and decisively. Grinding things out with that physique is going to end his career quicker than anything else. It is probably why he is experiencing all of the physical problems at such a young age. To go two steps forwards...he is going to have to take a step backwards.

Maturity...

Intelligence? You have to wonder. Plus...who are the "mentors"? Obviously they have had the time and opportunity to make an influence on the game but is it headed in a direction that is going to make this talented player with such huge potential a more consistent performer? More consistent in terms of match to match...or tournament to tournament...or year to year? When you look at the Big Four and ask yourself about the consistency of their collective performances it is pretty amazing isn't it? Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and now Murray who has raised the level of his consistency in the past couple of years. Maturity should bring some kind of illumination to this young man quite soon. He has come of age to be on the big stage so quickly but the question remains...what is he going to have to do to attain that level of consistent performance to hang with the big boys on a day to day performance. Murray showed him a bit of a lesson about maturity at the Wimbledon semifinals last year. Murray was Jerzy's for the taking in that match...he had everything to gain and nothing to lose yet his margin for error and poor serving lost that match for him. While on the other side of the coin...Murray was rock solid in the face of immense pressure. He was facing the dark horse in front of crowd with huge expectations of him. Jerzy had him in his sights if he had the level of maturity and the margin for error built into his game that such a situation demands. That moment was his if he had thought his way through it. What was the game plan? Blast Murray off of the court? As it stands now...he doesn't have it. At least it doesn't appear that he does.

Currently ranked #20 in the world...start answering some of the above question marks and watch his fortunes grow. No answers? He is still an interesting character and a threat to anyone on any give day. Answer all of the above question marks and you have the hallmark of a great champion...potentially speaking.
          Last edited by don_budge; 02-12-2014, 03:03 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

Great thread started by Don.

ABN AMRO Tournament in Rotterdam is one of my favorites. May have something to do with Richard Krajicek being the tournament director or that the Netherlands is one of the few countries I feel at home in due to most people there also being tall. I don't stick out nearly as much. Rotterdam is a damn good city as well as the largest port in Europe and some pretty good restaurants, But I digress...

The ATP Tour event in Rotterdam has always attracted some great players to the event including the big four.

I saw bits and pieces of the Janowicz-Benneteau match. Benneteau is a very smart player and was a former finalist in Rotterdam in 2013. Janowicz has the game and firepower. For Benneteau, who lacks the firepower, many of his matches are left to the hands of his opponents. Can they deliver the goods and come up with the shots or litter the stat sheet with unforced errors. Janowicz did what he had to do and got enough free points from his game. If he wantes to makes a run at the top 10 he needs to dispatch of players like Benneteau in a clinical manner.

He can improve his forehand. His serve, his backhand and all other shots. But one thing he has that you cannot teach...his height at 6'8". The best coaches in the world are unable to teach that. The future is bright, but for Jerzy, it's all between the ears.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Rotterdam...The Netherlands 2014 (See a man about a dog)

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Great thread started by Don.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Yes...it is a great thread. It is what you would call a developing story in the news grid. The item of the day just so happened to be an up and coming Austrian with a laser like one hand backhand.

I haven't read the news in the "interesting links" thread but I intend to. Right after I write this post. It seems there is another "New Kid on the Block" and his name is Dominic Thiem. He lost to Andy Murray last night 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. It was a decent match but the only thing really lacking was a dogfight for the third set. I would have liked to have seen a bit more fight...something on the side of primal. But that's ok. It is modern tennis and it went according to script...just like Big Time Wrestling. Andy brushed him aside to advance against Marion Cilic...back on the tour after a much needed rest. Or was it a suspension.

Things are a bit more compelling in the top half of the draw however as "The Jolly Argentine Giant" has won a couple of matches in straight set style...just as a potential member of "The Big Four" club should. He has defeated a couple of French players in the process including "Mr. Purple Haze" himself and he now faces "Ernesto" Gulbis who took out "Kid Gallivant" in straight sets himself. Grigor Dimitrov won the first six points of the match and as soon as the man in the booth mentioned that as if it was going to win the match for "The Kid"..."Ernesto" got his feet under him and rather routinely dispatched Grigor back into the loving arms of Maria...Sharapova. Good Luck...Grigor!

But all eyes on tennisplayer.net are on the quarterfinal immediately below Del Potro vs. Gulbis. It's a forum extravaganza. It's klacr's boy vs. tennis_chiro's. Tomas Berdych vs. Jerzy Janowicz. Does it get any better than this? Ok...if you are a betting sort you have to give the nod to Tomas Berdych but if you bet with anything other than your brain you are apt to go with the loose canon. Berdych is currently ranked #7 in the world on the basis of his incredibly consistent results...consistency being the hallmark of great tennis champions. Or at least I heard that once said...someplace. I can't remember where. But anyways...the other side of the coin is our compelling Pole from Lodz. On any given day he can give anyone in the world a hard time. Is it today? That remains to be seen.

That is what makes Jerzy such an interesting character. You can talk about his margin for error or perhaps his lack of tactical choices or strategies. But the thing about this big lug is that he is so unpredictable. Rather inconsistent as it is. But you have to start someplace and why not here and now. But somehow I don't see it ever happening. Not like we would like to believe. Personally I don't feel that his sort of powerful tennis is much more entertaining than the current heavy weight slugfests from the backcourt. The dropshots give it a bit of "touchy feely" but get to the heart of the matter he is going to have to conclude things at the net more often...he should listen to tennis_chiro in this regard. He should listen to me and lose the two hand backhand. His willingness to fight is too questionable. When it get dicey he starts to act up too much. I have yet to see him really contest something of meaning. Dogfighting in the last set for something of substance is another hallmark of tennis champions.

But here is the kicker about the book on Jerzy "Joe"...if the ITF concludes after that little experiment at the Australian Open in January that it will be profitable for tennis to "slick up the courts" this is one player that is going to benefit from it. With more slice and spin on the serve and a backhand suitable to play the approach and net game...this loose canon is transformed into a force to be reckoned with.

But he is a character and all of the surrounding question marks along with his remarkable talent make him a compelling character in the planet of "Big Time Tennis". Just see how the conversation steered away from "Mr. Consistency". #20 in the world vs. #7 in the world...and #7 just can't seem to get the respect he so richly deserves. That's life. That's Big Time Wrestling...I mean Tennis. Sadly...I am going to miss the match. I have to go and see a man about a dog.
              Last edited by don_budge; 02-13-2014, 11:59 PM.
              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Personally I don't feel that his sort of powerful tennis is much more entertaining than the current heavy weight slugfests from the backcourt. The dropshots give it a bit of "touchy feely" but get to the heart of the matter he is going to have to conclude things at the net more often...he should listen to tennis_chiro in this regard. He should listen to me and lose the two hand backhand. His willingness to fight is too questionable. When it get dicey he starts to act up too much. I have yet to see him really contest something of meaning. Dogfighting in the last set for something of substance is another hallmark of tennis champions.
                This what I concluded in another post last year. The first set against Berdych today bore this out...crash, bang...boring. The best I could describe it would mindless percentage winners. He surely gives opponent no rhythm which could be useful in today's tennis.

I still think Jerzy needs to develop more time on the ball. I wish he would vary the position he serves from more, give opponents a different look. Does he lean slight towards a forehand grip on his serve...looks that way?

He's 1-2 in the third against Berdych as I write. Let's see what he's got for the dogfight. It's a dull game but having come this far I may as well see it through.

__________________________________________________ ______

Berdych rode out the winner in the third by being solid...a good ploy against Jerzy...ride out the storm, play solid.

Jerzy showed he has fight but simply would not sacrifice his game style one iota. Sometimes you just HAVE to get the ball in.

Interesting how the post match analysis team also think Jerzy needs to alter the position he serves from. They're right..... But I think he should VARY it rather than just alter it to the more standard position...vary as McEnroe did is best.

The jury is still out for me on Jerzy. Nadal and Murray were far quicker learners at this point in their careers.
                Last edited by stotty; 02-14-2014, 06:39 AM.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Yes...it is a great thread. It is what you would call a developing story in the news grid. The item of the day just so happened to be an up and coming Austrian with a laser like one hand backhand.

I haven't read the news in the "interesting links" thread but I intend to. Right after I write this post. It seems there is another "New Kid on the Block" and his name is Dominic Thiem. He lost to Andy Murray last night 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. It was a decent match but the only thing really lacking was a dogfight for the third set. I would have liked to have seen a bit more fight...something on the side of primal. But that's ok. It is modern tennis and it went according to script...just like Big Time Wrestling. Andy brushed him aside to advance against Marion Cilic...back on the tour after a much needed rest. Or was it a suspension.

Things are a bit more compelling in the top half of the draw however as "The Jolly Argentine Giant" has won a couple of matches in straight set style...just as a potential member of "The Big Four" club should. He has defeated a couple of French players in the process including "Mr. Purple Haze" himself and he now faces "Ernesto" Gulbis who took out "Kid Gallivant" in straight sets himself. Grigor Dimitrov won the first six points of the match and as soon as the man in the booth mentioned that as if it was going to win the match for "The Kid"..."Ernesto" got his feet under him and rather routinely dispatched Grigor back into the loving arms of Maria...Sharapova. Good Luck...Grigor!

But all eyes on tennisplayer.net are on the quarterfinal immediately below Del Potro vs. Gulbis. It's a forum extravaganza. It's klacr's boy vs. tennis_chiro's. Tomas Berdych vs. Jerzy Janowicz. Does it get any better than this? Ok...if you are a betting sort you have to give the nod to Tomas Berdych but if you bet with anything other than your brain you are apt to go with the loose canon. Berdych is currently ranked #7 in the world on the basis of his incredibly consistent results...consistency being the hallmark of great tennis champions. Or at least I heard that once said...someplace. I can't remember where. But anyways...the other side of the coin is our compelling Pole from Lodz. On any given day he can give anyone in the world a hard time. Is it today? That remains to be seen.

That is what makes Jerzy such an interesting character. You can talk about his margin for error or perhaps his lack of tactical choices or strategies. But the thing about this big lug is that he is so unpredictable. Rather inconsistent as it is. But you have to start someplace and why not here and now. But somehow I don't see it ever happening. Not like we would like to believe. Personally I don't feel that his sort of powerful tennis is much more entertaining than the current heavy weight slugfests from the backcourt. The dropshots give it a bit of "touchy feely" but get to the heart of the matter he is going to have to conclude things at the net more often...he should listen to tennis_chiro in this regard. He should listen to me and lose the two hand backhand. His willingness to fight is too questionable. When it get dicey he starts to act up too much. I have yet to see him really contest something of meaning. Dogfighting in the last set for something of substance is another hallmark of tennis champions.

But here is the kicker about the book on Jerzy "Joe"...if the ITF concludes after that little experiment at the Australian Open in January that it will be profitable for tennis to "slick up the courts" this is one player that is going to benefit from it. With more slice and spin on the serve and a backhand suitable to play the approach and net game...this loose canon is transformed into a force to be reckoned with.

But he is a character and all of the surrounding question marks along with his remarkable talent make him a compelling character in the planet of "Big Time Tennis". Just see how the conversation steered away from "Mr. Consistency". #20 in the world vs. #7 in the world...and #7 just can't seem to get the respect he so richly deserves. That's life. That's Big Time Wrestling...I mean Tennis. Sadly...I am going to miss the match. I have to go and see a man about a dog.

Berdych made it past Janowicz. As I hoped he would. Consistency wins out against the flashy, erratic style of Janowicz.

Glad to see don_budge bring up Dominic Thiem. The young Austrian may be on the short list for stars of tomorrow. Austria can look to the future instead of relying on the past (Thomas Muster). Here's a quick story on Thiem from ATP's website. Worth a read and talks about his change from two hands to one hand on the backhand side.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...row-Thiem.aspx

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

T-Berd with the ruthless efficiency of a Terminator!

Berdych made it past Janowicz. As I hoped he would. Consistency wins out against the flashy, erratic style of Janowicz.
                    Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Just watched T-Berd semis dismantling of Gulbis. I watched the first set of Janowicz/Berdych a couple of nights ago. Berdych is playing with the relentless efficiency of a "Terminator". The level of pressure is not coming back at him the same way it would against Djokovic, Murray, Nadal or Federer, but except for a couple of hiccups Gulbis played pretty well. It was interesting that in spite of his seeming discomfort with the basic required movement, Gulbis made going to the net look like a useful tactic. So did Berdych, but he was striking the ball so well, he really didn't have much left to clean up when he did get there; Gulbis actually had to cover some passing shots, ... and did.

I really love the way Berdych sets up to hit the ball. I particularly liked the way he ran down a ball over his head and gave no thought to a between-the-legs shot, but instead hustled and made a good forehand that ended up earning him the point. I think that relentless pursuit of his goal must be part of what Kyle likes so much about Thomas. I wish someone could infuse a little of that in Janowicz. By comparison, he gives away so many points.

don
                    PS Look at the height of these guys in the semis: 6' 3", 6' 5" for Gulbis and Berdych; 6' 3", 6' 6" for Sijsling and Cilic. 6' 5" and 6' 6" in the final.

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                      Just watched T-Berd semis dismantling of Gulbis. I watched the first set of Janowicz/Berdych a couple of nights ago. Berdych is playing with the relentless efficiency of a "Terminator". The level of pressure is not coming back at him the same way it would against Djokovic, Murray, Nadal or Federer, but except for a couple of hiccups Gulbis played pretty well. It was interesting that in spite of his seeming discomfort with the basic required movement, Gulbis made going to the net look like a useful tactic. So did Berdych, but he was striking the ball so well, he really didn't have much left to clean up when he did get there; Gulbis actually had to cover some passing shots, ... and did.

I really love the way Berdych sets up to hit the ball. I particularly liked the way he ran down a ball over his head and gave no thought to a between-the-legs shot, but instead hustled and made a good forehand that ended up earning him the point. I think that relentless pursuit of his goal must be part of what Kyle likes so much about Thomas. I wish someone could infuse a little of that in Janowicz. By comparison, he gives away so many points.

don
                      PS Look at the height of these guys in the semis: 6' 3", 6' 5" for Gulbis and Berdych; 6' 3", 6' 6" for Sijsling and Cilic. 6' 5" and 6' 6" in the final.

Berdych vs. Cilic in today's Rotterdam final. I've been pretty quiet all week. If Berdych wins today, you can expect to hear from me.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Berdych vs. Cilic...Finals to Rotterdam ATP 2014

Berdych vs. Cilic in today's Rotterdam final. I've been pretty quiet all week. If Berdych wins today, you can expect to hear from me.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton
                        Good luck with that klacr!

http://www.drakulastream.eu/tennis-l...ng-video.html#!

The schedule for the three finals today...

Berdych vs. Cilic (ATP Rotterdam) 15.00 (3 PM) European time

Ferrer vs. Fognini (ATP Buenos Aires) 18.00 (6 PM) European time

Nichikori vs. Karlovic (ATP Memphis) 22.00 (10 PM) European time

don_budge

Comment

Yes!

I've been a good boy all week on this Rotterdam thread. I complimented the city of Rotterdam and don for starting this thread. I have been respectful and I have not made any outrageous Tomas Berdych claims in this thread. Sure, he has superpowers. And yes, he was the true inspiration for the Dos Equis Beer Commercials for "The Most Interesting Man in The World" but let's just talk about the tennis. I posted earlier this morning that if Berdych won that you would hear something from me. Well, he won!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjBhsYzOKw4

Berdych defeated Marin Cilic 6-4,6-2. Dominating performance. I'm supposed to see Marin Cilic later this week as he arrives into my neighborhood for the Delray Beach ATP Event. I've met with Cilic before. Nice guy. Well spoken. Respectful. Bob Brett taught him right. Now he's coached by Goran Ivanisevic. Goran happens to already be in Delray Beach playing in the champions series event held in conjuction with the ATP event.

Back to the man of the hour...Tomas Berdych.

THE MONKEY IS OFF THE BACK!!!
                          Tired of hearing about how Berdych is a top 10 player but hasn't won a tournament since October of 2012. Some called it a slump. But Berdych is too good for a slump. Too good.

The Rotterdam tournament had a very deep draw. 5 of the top 10 players in the world chose to play. Berdych was the last man standing.

Berdych lost his serve just once the entire week. In his quarterfinal match vs. Janowicz. That's impressive.

After winning the Rotterdam title today, Berdych becomes the first player in 2014 to win both a singles title and a doubls title (Doha). Well-rounded.

Wirth the win, Berdych will move up to #6 in the ATP Rankings. Andy Murray drops to #7. His lowest ranking in 6 years. (Sorry Stotty). Federer stays #8.

Although the season is early I think it's important to remind everyone that as it stands now, Berdych has more titles than Djokovic, Murray and Federer...combined. . Ok, lame stat after most top players have only played 3-5 events but please let me just enjoy this.

Is this a sign of things to come from Tberd?

For those that wish to hop on the Berdych bandwagon, I've been waiting for a long time. Feel free to join me. I have the first 5 rows of the bandwagon reserved for you.
                          Let's hope for a bigger, better and brighter future for Berdych.

The Sky is the limit for Berdych.

Take it to the limit...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwASii2f5c8

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          Last edited by klacr; 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Tbird is too robotic in his fh and game emotions/style of play. He needs to be more human and feel more in his strings. Too bad he can't hire me to string/hypnotize him. More gloat screams. More racquet smashing. More out right clobbering of all and anybody in his way. More net attacks after a great shot. More net rushing on ad side serves if he develops a great american twister. More second serve fast slices to the deuce side. More movement in his return position, to get into the head of the servers. More down the line shots off short balls. At least his volley is better than Joker!

Less robot and more out right killing adjusting.

Comment

Enthusiasm's...Al Capone (Robert DeNiro)

I've been a good boy all week on this Rotterdam thread. I complimented the city of Rotterdam and don for starting this thread. I have been respectful and I have not made any outrageous Tomas Berdych claims in this thread. Sure, he has superpowers. And yes, he was the true inspiration for the Dos Equis Beer Commercials for "The Most Interesting Man in The World" but let's just talk about the tennis. I posted earlier this morning that if Berdych won that you would hear something from me. Well, he won!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjBhsYzOKw4

Berdych defeated Marin Cilic 6-4,6-2. Dominating performance. I'm supposed to see Marin Cilic later this week as he arrives into my neighborhood for the Delray Beach ATP Event. I've met with Cilic before. Nice guy. Well spoken. Respectful. Bob Brett taught him right. Now he's coached by Goran Ivanisevic. Goran happens to already be in Delray Beach playing in the
                              champions series event held in conjuction with the ATP event.

Back to the man of the hour...Tomas Berdych.

THE MONKEY IS OFF THE BACK!!!
                              Tired of hearing about how Berdych is a top 10 player but hasn't won a tournament since October of 2012. Some called it a slump. But Berdych is too good for a slump. Too good.

The Rotterdam tournament had a very deep draw. 5 of the top 10 players in the world chose to play. Berdych was the last man standing.

Berdych lost his serve just once the entire week. In his quarterfinal match vs. Janowicz. That's impressive.

After winning the Rotterdam title today, Berdych becomes the first player in 2014 to win both a singles title and a doubls title (Doha). Well-rounded.

Wirth the win, Berdych will move up to #6 in the ATP Rankings. Andy Murray drops to #7. His lowest ranking in 6 years. (Sorry Stotty). Federer stays #8.

Although the season is early I think it's important to remind everyone that as it stands now, Berdych has more titles than Djokovic, Murray and Federer...combined. . Ok, lame stat after most top players have only played 3-5 events but please let me just enjoy this.

Is this a sign of things to come from Tberd?

For those that wish to hop on the Berdych bandwagon, I've been waiting for a long time. Feel free to join me. I have the first 5 rows of the bandwagon reserved for you.
                              Let's hope for a bigger, better and brighter future for Berdych.

The Sky is the limit for Berdych.

Take it to the limit...
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwASii2f5c8

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              "Take It To The Limit"...The Eagles

All alone at the end of the of the evening
                              And the bright lights have faded to blue
                              I was thinking 'bout a woman who might have
                              Loved me and I never knew
                              You know I've always been a dreamer
                              (spent my life running 'round)
                              And it's so hard to change
                              (Can't seem to settle down)
                              But the dreams I've seen lately
                              Keep on turning out and burning out
                              And turning out the same

So put me on a highway
                              And show me a sign
                              And take it to the limit one more time

You can spend all your time making money
                              You can spend all your love making time
                              If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
                              Would you still be mine?

And when you're looking for your freedom
                              (Nobody seems to care)
                              And you can't find the door
                              (Can't find it anywhere)
                              When there's nothing to believe in
                              Still you're coming back, you're running back
                              You're coming back for more

So put me on a highway
                              And show me a sign
                              And take it to the limit one more time

Take it to the limit
                              Take it to the limit
                              Take it to the limit one more time

Hmmm...who does this remind me of?

A lot of boyish enthusiasm klacr. It's refreshing. It's genuine. I'm happy for you...and Tomas Berdych. What a great feeling to win a tournament! That feeling when they are handing over the hardware...the trophy. Just great. The song..."Take it to the Limit". The Eagles. Another good sign about you. Karma can be a good thing. It surrounds you...you know. You can make your karma too...not always. But you can influence it...with hope. With positive energy. With a lot of love. Passion. Tennis is a game of energy...and balance. Much like life.

Thomas was on his toes all week. He routined the field. He lost a set to Jerzy Janowicz but then turned around and showed him who's boss. Exactly the way a major player does...you take one on the chin. You get up and you knock 'em down. Class act and class performance. Other than that...as Vic Seixas said in the article...the tennis is boring.

I was imagining both players with wooden racquets strung with gut. Listening to the thud of the ball on gut. Everything slows down a bit so that the real beauty of the game permeates the scene. Berdych flows around the court very elegantly for a big man. I particularly like the way that he sets up on the forehand. I imagine him with a one handed backhand complete with all court tactics...approach game and volley. I see serve and volley...when I close my eyes. He volleyed a couple of times...it isn't beyond him or Marion Cilic for that matter.

He was on top of Cilic from the very beginning and never let him up. He buried him just the way that you should when you sense any sign of weakness. Once again he is the champion of the field after a relatively long drought. Can he compete with the big three or four? Why not? He's number six now. Confidence is a funny thing. What does it take for a man to have it? Experience...for one thing. Good experience and bad ones. Each is a teacher. Go ask Stanislas...when he is ten feet tall.

Hopefully for Berdych (and you) he will feed off of this experience. He beat sound players routinely every step of the way. Too bad that he didn't get a shot at Del Potro or Murray...if he had beat them this would really have been a feather in his cap. But as it stands he hoisted the hardware. He was the last man standing. He deserved it and won it fair and square.

Wonderful song too...I remember when "The Hotel California" came out. I remember visiting the Hotel California a number of times. I found it on the outskirts of Tucson, Arizona. Maybe it was all in my mind...I'm not certain.

You can spend all your time making money
                              You can spend all your love making time
                              If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
                              Would you still be mine?

Good luck and happy trails...
                              Last edited by don_budge; 02-18-2014, 01:38 AM.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2994 users online. 11 members and 2983 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X