The Junior Wimbledon Champion 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Junior Wimbledon Champion 2013

Here is Gianluigi Quinzi who won Junior Wimbledon 2013, playing a clay court tournament. The clip is decent clarity so you get a good look.

The first thing that stands out a few minutes in to the clip once you see him hit successive backhands, is how tiny his backswing is! Have you ever seen such a small backswing on a good player?

Oddly enough Quinzi lost this match 6-1 6-0.
    Last edited by stotty; 02-20-2014, 04:39 AM.
    Stotty

Thanks. I might have overlooked his tiny backswing had not you pointed it out. I am all for tight, compact backswings. It is possible to create tremendous power in a small amount of space, similar to the martial artist Bruce Lee's famous 1-inch punch, if technique is proper.

In today's game on the WTA & ATP, it is common for players to have tight, solid double-fisted backhands, but comparatively wilder, looser topspin forehands. Pros today usually miss their topspin backhands often because of wild follow-throughs, not because of their compact preparations.

Comment

Originally posted by worldsbesttenniscoach View Post
      Thanks. I might have overlooked his tiny backswing had not you pointed it out. I am all for tight, compact backswings. It is possible to create tremendous power in a small amount of space, similar to the martial artist Bruce Lee's famous 1-inch punch, if technique is proper.

In today's game on the WTA & ATP, it is common for players to have tight, solid double-fisted backhands, but comparatively wilder, looser topspin forehands. Pros today usually miss their topspin backhands often because of wild follow-throughs, not because of their compact preparations.

Simplicity can be a dangerous and effective weapon. No doubt Bruce Lee's 1-Inch punch came to my mind immediately as well. No need to have extraneous movements when there doesn't have to be. Good post!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

It would be one thing if that tiny/compact backswing produced a blistering ball; from what I can see it does not.

Comment

Impotent backhand...

Originally posted by dimitrios View Post
          It would be one thing if that tiny/compact backswing produced a blistering ball; from what I can see it does not.
          This is precisely the conclusion I came to. In the whole of the clip he doesn't hit one winner off the backhand wing. His racket face doesn't tilt slightly downwards, something that is becoming more common, and a desirable feature according to Macci. When I asked John why, he suggested it elevates the rear elbow that bit higher than the front elbow and creates greater flip.

I don't like his backhand. He looks like he is merely fending balls back. I find the shot impotent.
          Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8050 users online. 2 members and 8048 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X