No announcement yet.

2013 BNP Paribas Open...Indian Wells, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a bummer...never mind...on grass he could do it, for sure. Federer was amazing at times. Still passes up opportunities to seize the net, though.

It's been a great chat today, don budge. I'm glad we've termed culmination point. It needed a proper term.

Good night!
    Stotty

Comment

Rogerer Feder...typo. But it works...doesn't it? Nobody is perfect.

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      What a bummer...never mind...on grass he could do it, for sure. Federer was amazing at times. Still passes up opportunities to seize the net, though.

It's been a great chat today, don budge. I'm glad we've termed culmination point. It needed a proper term.

Good night!
      Yeah...great to hang with you Stotty.

A couple of thoughts on the match. First of all...I never realized that I was watching the match without the "assistance" of announcers. Now I know what they mean when they say "Silence is Golden". Actually I have always known that. That is why I live in the country...in the woods.

Rogerer played an excellent match...albeit a bit up and down. Novak may not have played as well...but he won. Strange...isn't it? I remember when I was competitive...when I began to get more competitive that I could feel less than 100% yet go out and find a way to win. That is Djokovic what did...he found a way to win without his best stuff. In fact neither player seemed to have their best stuff so it turned out to be pretty interesting. There was some tactical maneuvering going on.

I think Federer served extremely well the first set and as a result the level of the rest of his game was peaking. It wasn't "God mode" but it was enough to take charge of the match at the beginning. But alas...the culmination point occurred in the second set some time when it appeared that his service rhythm slipped just a notch and Novak had his foot in the door.

It was very encouraging to see Roger gut it out and fight back when he was on the ropes and Djokovic was serving for the set and the match. He broke back and got himself back in position to win the match in the tiebreak...and this is a very healthy sign. Reversing the tide...culmination point number two. He has to feel motivated in tough situations and just get down and fight. Fight he did. As a result it was a very entertaining match even though the level of play was spotty at times. But guess what...nobody's perfect.

Last week I started the week with the stomach flu and ended it with a bunch of little angels singing Happy Birthday to me in Swedish and English. In life, as in tennis, it is better to start on shaky footing and finish nicely. So it went for Roger...but he fought for that happy ending. He lost the shootout in the tiebreaker.

One more note...Roger approached with a sliced forehand and caught Novak by surprise as he hit a very weak passing shot. I hope that Federer puts that in his thinking cap...some day before it is too late. You know...someday he will be watching tennis matches late at night too. The wife snoring in the next room.

Great fun...as always. Tennis for the Bloody Fun of It.
      Last edited by don_budge; 03-16-2014, 11:24 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

A genius

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        It was very encouraging to see Roger gut it out and fight back when he was on the ropes and Djokovic was serving for the set and the match. He broke back and got himself back in position to win the match in the tiebreak...and this is a very healthy sign. Reversing the tide...culmination point number two. He has to feel motivated in tough situations and just get down and fight. Fight he did. As a result it was a very entertaining match even though the level of play was spotty at times. But guess what...nobody's perfect.
        Yes, it was an exemplary effort from Federer. I thought he might fold up. He showed real guts and determination. He was rampant for a spell...looked like anything was possible. He is a genius. He truly is.
        Stotty

Comment

Roger is moving up the ATP ranking from 8 to 5, hope he keeps it up...

Comment

I thought it was a very high quality match between 2 guys who were fully engaged and wanted it badly. As much as I like Roger's game, it once again showed what relentless defense, the kind that only Novak, Murray(when he is so inclined), and Rafa can bring to a match.

Comment

Game-style

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              I thought it was a very high quality match between 2 guys who were fully engaged and wanted it badly. As much as I like Roger's game, it once again showed what relentless defense, the kind that only Novak, Murray(when he is so inclined), and Rafa can bring to a match.
              What makes tennis so great is how one player's game-style can negate another's. Djokovic can unravel Nadal...Nadal can demolish Federer...Federer and Djokovic have even matches...Murray usually can't undo Nadal or Federer, but can negate Djokovic at his own game.

Federer was close last night. Had he gotten off to a better start in the tie-break, he might have pulled it off. A good start was all Djokovic needed. He battened down the hatches after that.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                What makes tennis so great is how one player's game-style can negate another's. Djokovic can unravel Nadal...Nadal can demolish Federer...Federer and Djokovic have even matches...Murray usually can't undo Nadal or Federer, but can negate Djokovic at his own game.

Federer was close last night. Had he gotten off to a better start in the tie-break, he might have pulled it off. A good start was all Djokovic needed. He battened down the hatches after that.
                Agree completely. I was thinking while I was watching Gulbis defeat Dimitrov for the 2nd time in a row in a big match. They are about the same age, both about the same size with top shelf athleticism,. The main difference to me in their games, what seperates them, is Dimitrov's vastly superior forehand. I would think that would be a difference maker in the outcome of their matches. Tennis is a great sport as you say.

Comment

Disappointing final for Federer. Started off with so much thrill and potential. Dictating, attacking, making Djokovic react. Then Djokovic locked in, started making Federer play that extra ball. Once errors started creeping into Fed's game you saw knew the second set was Djokovic. Third set was similar to 2nd set but Fed showed some guts and Djokocvic some nerves as the Serbian tried to serve for the match. Federer pushed to a 3rd set tie-break.

let's be honest, Djokovic needed this title more than Federer. Djokovic was delighted to get it. Fed still put in a great week.

Djokovic and Federer have respect for each other despite some past issues. This was apparent after match point when Djokovic gave a very subdued celebration as to not show Roger up. I enjoyed this reaction from Djokovic. Other players could learn a thing or two about the proper way to celebrate and show respect.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Roger Federer's recent success and the bigger racquet

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Djokovic and Federer have respect for each other despite some past issues. This was apparent after match point when Djokovic gave a very subdued celebration as to not show Roger up. I enjoyed this reaction from Djokovic. Other players could learn a thing or two about the proper way to celebrate and show respect.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    I'm not big on the curtain calls...to say the least.

Not one comment about the "8 square inches". That was all that it was. For years now Federer has been getting bullied about by guys with bigger racquets. It was always obvious to me.

Now he will have some renewed confidence and perhaps he will be able to play with the confidence of old if he can summon the skills of his yesteryears. It may be too late as those skills have atrophied from disuse. What a shame...he must feel robbed and violated of several years at his prime. Cheated...it's a terrible feeling. It's hard for normal people to understand why he clung to a losing game...afterall one of the Tilden commandments is "Never change a winning game...always change a losing game". Life's like that. You live and learn. I know how he feels.

Roger has been resurgent since switching to the bigger frame...it is no coincidence. Eight square inches. Same shark...different clothes.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 03-18-2014, 11:34 PM.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8151 users online. 6 members and 8145 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X