The Extreme Closed Stance: The Pro One Handed Backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Extreme Closed Stance: The Pro One Handed Backhand

Would love to get your thoughts on "The Extreme Closed Stance: The Pro One Handed Backhand"

Perfect article. Tennisplayer.net is really reaching whole new levels. Keeps getting better and better.

This article should be required reading for all subscribers and for young tennis teaching professionals in our industry. Incredible detail and explanation on many key aspects of world class one-handers as well as elements we can teach our students. I'm glad that reading this information is justification for the correct way I've been teaching my students for all these years.

I do love the Tommy Haas backhand above all the other ones. Just an aesthetic thing for me.

I do have one question though. Forgive me if we have gone over this before. What is truly the role of the non-hitting arm after contact? Should it swing back and up as a counterbalance? Can it stay down and relatively silent on the same side like the Muster clips? Should it do something in between? Is there an associated technique with the non hitting hand depending on the racquet hands grip, stance, spin. Do we see players change the actions of the hitting hand based upon on the actual shot they are hitting?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Hips act as a block

Yet another thorough article that covers some good stuff. It's the thoroughness of the articles that make this website so compelling.

The article, in one aspect, actually goes against what I have more than once been told on LTA courses. Over here many leading coaches maintain that in closed stances (forehand and backhand) the "hips act as a block" and offer more limited power compared to neutral stances.

I'd like throw this "hips act as a block" theory over to both John and other coaches on the forum. It seems like it might be a myth after reading John's article.

I have to say, as an amateur player, the neutral stance has always generated a little more power for me...or maybe I just bought into the myth.

But pro tennis is a totally different level. As my late father was always very fond of saying: "They do things differently up there, son".
      Last edited by stotty; 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

Damn, Yandell's on a roll. I really, really, like the trail leg explanation. I think many miss the boat on this one. For all the talk, about the left arm position (and i think it's a contributing force) keeping the left leg back is what keeps the hips from spinning out/over rotating.

Comment

10s player thanks!

Stotty,

The forehand is completely different obviously. Closed stance only on the dead run...

But backhand--the hip and shoulder rotations are less on the one-hander and even the two hands and never come to completely open. Compare the additional rotation though to the neutral strances.

BUT it requires the ability to rotate the body in that fashion. Not everyone can do that.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7802 users online. 4 members and 7798 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X