Indian Wells in 2014: New Dining, New Virtual World, Actual Real Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Wells in 2014: New Dining, New Virtual World, Actual Real Tennis

Would love to get your feedback on my latest on Indian Wells, "Indian Wells in 2014: New Dining, New Virtual World, Actual Real Tennis"!

Gotta love the high end food and dining options. This is right in my sweet spot. Nobu is spectacular. Depth of flavors presented in a restrained and dignified way. Letting ingredients and flavor profiles speak for themselves.

No doubt Indian Wells has stepped up their game in every single category. It's also great they have a guy that is a billionaire (Larry Ellison) that is willing to spare no expense to make it his own tennis utopia. Tennis is lucky to have him.

Indian Wells has become the legitimate "5th slam" and has surpassed the event in Key Biscayne. I go to the Key Biscayne event every year to work, play, watch and I enjoy myself, but deep down, I know it's not as good as Indian Wells. One year I will make the journey to this tennis oasis in the desert. Hope to see all of you there.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 03-05-2014, 03:42 AM. Reason: all about details

Comment

I suggested an article, with 10,000 fps, to show what happens to strings, same frame, different string jobs, ie, such as gut/alu, gut/l-tec, spiky shark/l-tec, etc, with higher tension and lower tension string jobs on the same frame, same string, with jet stringing method versus normal stringing methods. Also a high speed comparison that would show the exact amount of ball deformation/compaction, string bed elasticity, compared with the same frame/different strings and tensions, and the player's evaluation of pocketed feel, amount of accuracy experienced, power/spin, and an rpm study of edged strings/hybrids, same frames. What about it, John?

The be all and end all of string articles. String is 70% of any players' effectiveness. Versus frames. Give Fed a T2000 strung with gut at 20lbs, and I would win some games off him.

The mains to give best results have to be going up in pitch slightly to the outside edges, and crosses have to be tighter at top and bottom, and a few lbs less than the mains in the main section versus reference tension. The crosses also should have a similar tension loss as the mains, or they will go out too soon, and the hybrid job will not last long in the right pocketed feel. And that my friends, has been obtained knowledge after many thousands of hours testing and trying many experiments. I find it strange that no one cares about strings as I do, when they mean so much to your enjoyment, and pocketed feel, and power, and spin, and touch, and feel, and comfort, and you name the thing you love most about the game!
      Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-06-2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Thousands of hours...of practice

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
        And that my friends, has been obtained knowledge after many thousands of hours testing and trying many experiments.
        I wonder what the difference may have been if you had spent that time practicing instead.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          I wonder what the difference may have been if you had spent that time practicing instead.
          A less interesting dude.

Comment

Do you know what's interesting? Improving beyond your belief. That's interesting.

There is no way to test string without practicing. That is something very obvious. Those who stay with one string, one frame, one tension are basically unexcited by change. I play for fun and experiment for fun. It's fun to see what will happen with a new scheme, and that has led me to find the best control, spin/power/touch/etc. combinations and techniques, on my own terms at the cost of many thousands of dollars and hours training with new string/frames/experimental techniques.

Some prefer to play for fun after all, not for victory. I don't enjoy competition as much as I do cooperative hard training. Too many cheater, bad refs, etc. that taint the whole experience of tournament play. Win at all costs and dominate at all costs is all to common here. I don't know about elsewhere, but I suspect it's a world wide taint.
            Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 03-08-2014, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
              The be all and end all of string articles. String is 70% of any players' effectiveness. Versus frames. Give Fed a T2000 strung with gut at 20lbs, and I would win some games off him.
              You must be kidding, right? With all respect, compare your strokes to Federer's strokes. No way.

Maybe, if you gave him a coke bottle....

Moreover, this is an overemphasis on strings, rackets are also important.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8155 users online. 6 members and 8149 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X