Your teaching philosphies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
    This is great stuff guys! Superb stuff! I will read Tilden.

You know, I believe in patience in athletic development obviously, however, the most important thing I have learned is to be respectful of father time!

Ten years is a SHORT period of time.

- It's 3000 days of practice
    - 10,000 hours (if you go by that rule) totals 465 complete 24 hour day.

I always tell the young one, athletics is a tough route to go because you only have so many hours and days to first, and most importantly, eat properly, and then from there set up your functional mechanics - spirit and develop a winning game, and it passes by fast, and if you're not urgent in getting better with every ball you hit ... well ... as I put it, "If you don't want to be number 1 today, then okay, that's a choice, and someone else will be number one, and it won't be you." At the end of the day an athlete (or any of us in any field - business, fatherhood, whatever) really has to ask himself, was I number one today in what I did. If the answer is yes, then progress will come over the long haul."

It's great being a coach or businessman because you can peak at 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70's, isn't it?

Athletics goes by fast, just like kids go by fast. The wife and I just had a baby girl two days ago, and she's a twin of my first one, and it got me thinking today of how quickly life passed by over the past eight years with the first one! This first one sure became very independent quickly!

My dad once told me when I was young (14 or so I think) something interesting about woman. I saw a pretty girl. Dad told me: "Man up! Stop looking and go get her. If you don't get with her, some other guy will get with her. Is it going to be you or him? It should be you, don't you think?"

I learned. And one day I saw my Svitlana. 6'2". Blonde. Athletic. Strong. Spirited. Tough. The whole package. One day god decided, I must create the perfect Slavic woman, and he did! Yup, she was the one, and I wasn't going to let any other man be her # 1
    Complexity of Tennis as a Sport
    It is very difficult to succeed in professional tennis.Why is that?Because tennis as a sport is very demanding and difficult.It is one thing what you see on TV (glory and fame), and it is completely different thing what is going behind the scenes.To get in position where you can see if your child has shot at professional tennis career takes at least 10 years or 10.000 hours of quality practice (the best illustration of enormity of this is effort is to transform 10.000 hours in days of practice.This is 417 days of 24/7 quality practices).

Now, I will explain in short why tennis is so difficult and demanding sport:

- tennis is a sport in comparison to a game.For example golf is a game not a sport.Difference is that in sports physical component influences player¨s ability to perform; to show his acquired skills.50 year old is not able to play tennis at professional level even his skills are at that level because his physical component is not such to enable him to show his tennis skills at that level of play.

- tennis is not basic sport even thou it is based on two basic sports: track and field (running) and gymnastics.Biomechanics of tennis strokes is unnatural and demands specific coordination.I will give just one example – when a tennis player serves he tosses a ball up, and his body coils (going down and in).Illustration of what I am talking about is when on does not play tennis for sometime he looses skill, and in basic sports he looses physical component to execute a skill, and skill more or less stays in tact.Tennis skill is very difficult to learn because of awkward (specific coordination) movements.

- individual sports are always more difficult than team sports

- tennis is next to soccer probably the most played sport in the world

- from playing professional tennis can live very few players (first 100 on WTA/ATP) compared to other sports

- big prize money makes it even more competitive (more money attracts more competition)

- tennis is very demanding technically, tactictally, physically and mentally

- different conditions tennis is played under make it even more difficult (outdoors, indoors, on different playing surfaces,under different weather conditions, in different time zones, in areas with different nutritional habits)

- tennis is very expensive sport (tennis courts indoors, and outdoors, tennis equipment, tennis coach, conditioning coach, sparring partner, psychologist, masseur, doctor, travelling)

June 14th, 2009

Last edited by damir; 03-27-2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8156 users online. 6 members and 8150 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X