Kings of Tennis...Stockholm, Sweden 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings of Tennis...Stockholm, Sweden 2014

Reporting to you from Stockholm Sweden...none other than don_budge. Nothing to report so far except some extremely beautiful, long legged blondes at the train station. I hope to get close enough to Mats Wilander to give him my logistical analysis of Swedish tennis. Keep me posted on Indian Hills...would you? I see Dimitrov lost...rats!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Enjoy the train station. Wishing I was there.

As for the tennis, keep us posted on that front. My money is on Moya.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Bob Brett...

Sitting here listening to Bob Brett. Snooze alert. Just kidding...I'm beat from the flu and the 6:18 AM train journey. He's pretty laid back though. I want to ask him what he thinks of my coaching paradigm but I think I will just hold off...if I can keep my mouth shut.
      don_budge

Comment

Stotty...

What about Bob?
        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          What about Bob?
          Bob coached our very own Golden Boy, John Lloyd in the 80s. John rated him highly both as a technician and a tactician. Of course, he was also coach to Goran and Boris. John Lloyd said he was a great coach on the serve.

Bob is being recruited soon to evaluate the performance side of British tennis. It's going to be interesting to hear what he thinks. He'll certain have his work cut out if he's kept on to change things.

He's should be certainly worth talking to if you've got the balls to barge in. My knowledgeable friend in his 70s (I've told you of him before) always barges in. "You only usually get the one chance to do it", he's fond of saying.

Good luck...and don't take no for an answer. Tell him Stotty says the British performance system needs a right shake up.
          Stotty

Comment

Mats Wilander...

Listening to Mats Wilander...shhh!
            don_budge

Comment

Listening to Mats Wilander...shhh!
              Stotty

Comment

More Mats...

I got two questions in...more later.
                don_budge

Comment

Engagement...

Engaged in conversations with both Mats, Bob and a fellow I had seen doing tennis commentary on television in BÃ¥stad. He asked me if I wanted to do a TV show with him.

Not bad for a guy who hugging the porcelain god for dear life 36 hours ago...don't you think so? Head up...stay in the game.

Full report tomorrow.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 03-12-2014, 03:43 PM.
                  don_budge

Comment

Say Don, by any chance do you know Michael Grindfors?

Comment

What about Bob Brett...well I can vouch for a couple of things

Sitting here listening to Bob Brett. Snooze alert. Just kidding...I'm beat from the flu and the 6:18 AM train journey. He's pretty laid back though. I want to ask him what he thinks of my coaching paradigm but I think I will just hold off...if I can keep my mouth shut.
                      Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                      Bob coached our very own Golden Boy, John Lloyd in the 80s. John rated him highly both as a technician and a tactician. Of course, he was also coach to Goran and Boris. John Lloyd said he was a great coach on the serve.

Bob is being recruited soon to evaluate the performance side of British tennis. It's going to be interesting to hear what he thinks. He'll certain have his work cut out if he's kept on to change things.

He's should be certainly worth talking to if you've got the balls to barge in. My knowledgeable friend in his 70s (I've told you of him before) always barges in. "You only usually get the one chance to do it", he's fond of saying.

Good luck...and don't take no for an answer. Tell him Stotty says the British performance system needs a right shake up.
                      One moment he was this little mild mannered Australian fellow giving a rather calm and tame presentation about what it takes to become a tennis player...real tame. I don't think it was so much that it was a snoozer...or maybe it was.

We had a conversation that I will write about in front of the 120 or so participants. We had a really nice conversation between the presentation and the lunch for ten minutes or so that I will write about later.

Then he transformed himself into Harry Hopman. Here was this 60 year old rather small soft spoken guy with this evil smile on his face just flat out torturing this 15 year old hot shot and before he was done with him he reduced him to a puddle of mush. I will tell you exactly how...tomorrow.

Amazing performance. We continued our conversation in front of the group with some nice banter between us. Friendly stuff. I wasn't shy...everyone else was intimidated. He found me interesting and in the end...he knocked it dead. Out of the park. It was rather incredible. Imagine that...Harry Hopman. The coach in my paradigm. I told him about my coaching paradigm. He got a big kick out of it. He was twiddling a Head racquet around while we were talking with this little quizzical smile on his face. Before he changed. Lady Mercy won't be home tonight.

I'd be real curious to what his estimation and analysis of the British tennis system is. One thing for certain...you will be getting old school, tough guy with a wicked little smile on his face. I only wonder if his words will match the nasty little darts he was throwing at the kid that had him busted.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge

Comment

Bob Brett...a direct coaching descendant

One moment he was this little mild mannered Australian fellow giving a rather calm and tame presentation about what it takes to become a tennis player...real tame. I don't think it was so much that it was a snoozer...or maybe it was.

We had a conversation that I will write about in front of the 120 or so participants. We had a really nice conversation between the presentation and the lunch for ten minutes or so that I will write about later.

Then he transformed himself into Harry Hopman. Here was this 60 rather small soft spoken guy with this evil smile on his face just flat out torturing this 15 year old hot shot and before he was done with him he reduced him to a puddle of mush. I will tell you exactly how...tomorrow.

Amazing performance. We continued our conversation in front of the group with some nice banter between us. Friendly stuff. I wasn't shy...everyone else was intimidated. He found me interesting and in the end...he knocked it dead. Out of the park. It was rather incredible. Imagine that...Harry Hopman. The coach in my paradigm. I told him about my coaching paradigm. He got a big kick out of it. He was twiddling a Head racquet around while we were talking with this little quizzical smile on his face. Before he changed.

I'd be real curious to what his estimation and analysis of the British tennis system is. One thing for certain...you will be getting old school, tough guy with a wicked little smile on his face. I only wonder if his words will match the nasty little darts he was throwing at the kid that had him busted.
                        Seems like you had a good day.

Bob Brett worked under Harry Hopman and learnt the trade through him...he's a direct coaching descendant. There has to be a lot of Harry Hopman in Bob Brett. He's strict, apparently, as Hopman was. Your coaching paradigm wouldn't have been lost on him, that's for sure.

It's really cool to have you Stockholm updates...very appreciated...can't wait to hear more.
                        Stotty

Comment

don_budge,

I appreciate the Stockholm coverage. Love the fact that you were able to speak with Bob Brett. Huge amount of respect for him and his tennis mind as well as his professionalism. Great guy to talk with and listen to. I'm very jealous don_budge.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Hammer to Fall...Queen The King's of Tennis Tennis Trainer Symposium

Seems like you had a good day.

Bob Brett worked under Harry Hopman and learnt the trade through him...he's a direct coaching descendant. There has to be a lot of Harry Hopman in Bob Brett. He's strict, apparently, as Hopman was. Your coaching paradigm wouldn't have been lost on him, that's for sure.

It's really cool to have you Stockholm updates...very appreciated...can't wait to hear more.
                            Originally posted by klacr View Post
                            don_budge,

I appreciate the Stockholm coverage. Love the fact that you were able to speak with Bob Brett. Huge amount of respect for him and his tennis mind as well as his professionalism. Great guy to talk with and listen to. I'm very jealous don_budge.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            Put the women and children in the house coaches. don_budge speaks...no holding back this time. This time it was live and real. Not some theoretical lunatic tapping out some nonsense on a keyboard. Some crazy don_quioxte. Out of the woods of rural Sweden into the big city of Stockholm. Mats Wilander, Bob Brett, Johan Porsborn and little old me...don_budge.

Whatever...I don't have time for that flimsy tact. Do your homework...put it to the test. I've done mine. I've got a paradigm...I will live with it. I will die with it. My convictions are unwavering...as is my love for the true sport of tennis. Some things are worth fighting for. You wanna fight...just wait. The Hammer will fall.

So I am going to listen to this performance by Freddie Mercury about 10,000 times...then I am going to try and relate to you what happened to me yesterday. It won't be easy...today I have a "happiness" hangover. Thanks Stotty and klacr. Thanks to the rest of you. bottle...tennis_chiro. 10splayer too. Tell 'em Freddie. The Hammer will fall. Until then...Tennis for the Bloody Fun of it! Everyone! Just feel those guitar riffs.

Hammer to Fall...Queen

Here we stand or here we fall
                            History won't care at all
                            Make the bed, light the light
                            Lady Mercy won't be home tonight.

You don't waste no time at all
                            Don't hear the bell but you answer the call
                            It comes to you as to us all
                            We're just waiting
                            For the hammer to fall

Oh every night, and every day
                            A little piece of you is falling away
                            But lift your face, the Western Way -
                            Build your muscles as your body decays.

We're just waiting
                            For the hammer to fall

Tow the line and play their game
                            Let the anaesthetic cover it all
                            Till one day they call your name
                            You know it's time for the Hammer to Fall.

Rich or poor or famous for
                            Your truth it's all the same
                            Lock your door but rain is pouring
                            Through your window pane
                            Baby now your struggle's all vain.

For we who grew up tall and proud
                            In the shadow of the Mushroom Cloud
                            Convinced our voices can't be heard
                            We just wanna scream it louder and louder

We're just waiting
                            For the hammer to fall

What the hell are we fighting for?
                            Just surrender and it won't hurt at all
                            You just got time to say your prayers
                            While you're waiting for the Hammer to Fall.

At one end of this continuum is the ditherer; at the other...Ghandi. But you can only be a Gandhi if you are absolutely certain...crystal...unwavering. Few coaches are knowledgeable enough to be crystal about their trade, and of those perhaps only a handful turn out to be right. At least this is my experience.
                            Stotty...you get it.
                            Last edited by don_budge; 03-13-2014, 11:22 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge

Comment

Yesterday...inauspicious beginnings and the best laid plans of mice and men

The day began a bit inauspiciously. Plus don't forget only 24 hours early I was pinned down on the toilet in my own little miserable hell of nausea. My international puke fest. Sorry...I told you to get the women and children inside. This is no time to be cute.

So I am up at 4:30 AM to catch the 6:18 AM train to Stockholm. Never slept a wink. The night before was a wreck as well. I was camped out on a recliner outside the bathroom door. Just in case.

I had missed Monday and Tuesday at the club...depleted. Nothing inside...clean as a whistle. Blow on one end air comes out the other. Vacuous. I told the director that maybe he should send my partner...but oh no. It was time for me to go. So up at the crack of dawn...as Tony Orlando used to say...I went out to warm the car at 5:20 AM to melt the frost off of the windows.

In ten minutes I was in the car with a fresh mug of Starbucks...a gift from a friend in the States. In order to get pointed in the right direction I had to open the side door to look to see where I was going...so that I wouldn't back into the corral. Fortunately for me. My wife was shouting after me to come back. Annoyed I got out of the car only to find her there with my train ticket. If I hadn't opened the door I would have driven off without them.

Ok...back in the car. Once again...I had to open the door to look back of me. Once again she is hollering after me...this time she has locked herself out of the house. I take my keys and then I realize that I don't even have a house key on my johnny_tango Argentine key chain. I never carry a house key. We never lock the house except to take the key out of the front door at night. She had slammed the door behind her in her hurry to get my train ticket to me. SNAFU! Locked out.

You know me...a man of action. Not just of words...theories aside. I leap out of the car and find the suitable window to smash and open the door to the fire room in the back of the house. A primal man in action with a shovel...smash! Reaching inside like a burglar...muttering the most vile swear word repeatedly over and over. I never said I was a saint. Back in the car. Off to the train station. In a hurry now.

To be continued...
                              Last edited by don_budge; 03-13-2014, 02:54 AM.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4082 users online. 5 members and 4077 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X