Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd like to see an article on body fly shots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
    Becker played at 395g or so. Edberg at 405 or so. Sampras at 389g. Mac was up there. Tough to hit a heavy serve with a light frame. Ask Nadal about that! He's at 341g or so. Interesting that the best serve volleyers in the world were all at what would be now considered suicidal weights. Borg was at 410g. And he came in a lot at Wimbledon. I will bet that Kyle has a heavy serve!
    Thanks Geoff. My serve is certainly a shot I look forward to hitting. Perhaps we can all check out our racquets and you can feel the that heavy serve first hand when we organize a tennisplayer.net forum get together. perhaps Indian Wells...maybe Miami?

Also, stroke is right about the swing weights. My racquet is 380g but most players and other teaching pros that pick it up and swing marvel at the "heft" when they take some practice swings.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 04-03-2014, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Kyle's Serve

Having hit with Kyle recently I can attest to the heaviness of Kyle's serve. Very much a weapon!

Comment

Thanks Ed! Great to host you at my facility. We probably could have stayed on court all day to hit. Big fan of your classic indoor court game. Flat groundies and a sweet one-hander.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

VEry few of us can lay claim to any type of heavy shot whatsokyleever. When I drop down to a lighter frame, my heavy shots go bye bye. Lightness favors only spin.

Comment

Ed Weiss's Serve?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            Thanks Ed! Great to host you at my facility. We probably could have stayed on court all day to hit. Big fan of your classic indoor court game. Flat groundies and a sweet one-hander.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Just curious about Ed's serve...are you authorized to give an opinion? I did some collaboration with him some time ago...virtually speaking. How did it look?
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              Just curious about Ed's serve...are you authorized to give an opinion? I did some collaboration with him some time ago...virtually speaking. How did it look?
              Out of deep respect to Ed, not sure if I'm allowed to discuss his serve in great detail without his authorization, but I can say it's one of the things we discussed. In general terms, his motion looked good, we mostly spoke about the kick serve and the teaching philosophy on the serve. Probably better if you ask him directly. With that said, I think 99% of the tennis playing population would be very happy with Ed's serve

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Out of deep respect to Ed, not sure if I'm allowed to discuss his serve in great detail without his authorization, but I can say it's one of the things we discussed. In general terms, his motion looked good, we mostly spoke about the kick serve and the teaching philosophy on the serve. Probably better if you ask him directly. With that said, I think 99% of the tennis playing population would be very happy with Ed's serve

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Kyle,

Speaking of serves, can we take a look at yours? I posted mine some time ago (still in the forum somewhere) and it would be great if others posted theirs. So far, only Phil and myself have ever posted their serves. It would be fun if other posters could overcome their shyness. You seem the sort of bloke who might be up for it.
                Last edited by stotty; 03-29-2014, 02:42 AM.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                  Kyle,

Speaking of serves, can we take a look at yours? I posted mine some time ago (still in the forum somewhere) and it would be great if others posted theirs. So far, only Phil and myself have ever posted their serves. It would be fun if other posters could overcome their shyness. You seem the sort of bloke who might be up for it.
                  Great idea. I'd love to and to be honest, I wish I would have years ago. Kicking myself that I didn't. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with some complications from neck surgery I had at end of 2013. I could post but it would not be emblematic of my true service motion and therefore not something I want to showcase. But when my serve is capable...I adore it. Although, I say the same about my backhand and my volleys.

However, when I'm fully recovered and my 5 part serve and volley series commences (articles coming up in the next few issues) I will gladly post my serve and maybe my other strokes as well, especially my forehand. God I wish I had a decent forehand!!!!

I will promise you that Stotty. I'm a man of my word. I look forward to it. Thanks for the inspiration and support.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Snap it back. Coil. Fly forward into the shot, or learn how to.

Comment

Yes Stroke, It's a very solid stick. I have 4 of them and a few more waiting to be customized with the same. It may seem heavy at first, and maybe it is, but I use it and can swing it freely with no problem or fatigue. Then again, Being my size has its advantages.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Head prestige customized:

Approximate specs include: Headsize: 93 sq.in. String Pattern: 18x20. Unstrung Weight: 13.2oz. Unstrung Swingweight: 373 (RDC). Unstrung Balance: 4 points HL. Standard Length. STrung: about 385g. I'd string these with two methods, to see which feels the best: #1 L-tec 1.18mm mains/vs touch crosses: 59/61
                      #2: vs touch mains/L-tec 1.18mm crosses: 61/59lbs. Both with mini jet stringing method.

John Elliot says:

"The Mini JET Method of stringing combined with L-TEC strings provide players with an equipment advantage delivering the best possible on-court results.
                      There are 3 major components of the method that should be implemented in unison to achieve optimal results.

Analyzing and calculating the player’s ideal string bed tension.
                      Choosing the best L-TEC Premium string(s) to improve the player’s game.
                      Applying the exact set tensions and the JET Method of stringing to achieve the precise overall string-bed tension required by the player.

There is a very precise methodology and tools that allow the stringer to string at lower tensions. The stringing technique/method preserves the elasticity of the string and ultimately allows the string bed to hold the desirable playing properties for an extended period of time.

REFERENCE TENSION :

Twenty-four hours after stringing a racquet the overall string-bed tension will measure from -4lbs to -6lbs lower than the tension that was originally set on the machine.
                      After 1 hour of play there will be a further loss of tension of at least -2lbs.
                      The JET Method of stringing progressively increases the overall string-bed tension up to 3lbs higher than the SET Tension on the machine for a 16*19 string pattern and up to 5lbs higher for a 18*20 string-pattern.
                      Therefore, to obtain a similar overall string-bed tension when using the JET Method, the Reference SET tension should be reduced from -7lbs to -10lbs depending on the machine and the string-pattern. The Reference SET Tension on the machine is much lower, but the feeling of stiffness in the string-bed will be quite comparable. The vastly improved comfort, power, control and spin, as well as the capacity to hold tension and maintain an initial playability for much longer than usual stringing methods, are the most evident advantages of the JET Method of stringing.

RACQUET PREPARATION :

If necessary, carefully use an awl to enlargen the grommet holes on #6 main (16 main pattern) or #7 main (18 main pattern) for tie-off. (This will be either top or bottom depending on where main strings end.)

Enlargen the grommet hole on the third cross from bottom of frame for tie-off. (Depending on pattern, this can sometimes vary. The objective is to tie-off as close to the 2nd to last cross as possible).

MAIN STRINGS :

String first four center mains on each side at reference tension.
                      Next 2 (on 16 mains) or 3 (on 18 mains) reduce tension by -4lbs.
                      On a 16 main pattern after pulling main #6 skip over to #8. Increase tension +4lbs (to reference tension) before tensioning. (#8 will be pulled at reference tension). On an 18 main pattern after pulling #7 skip over to #9. Increase tension +4lbs before tensioning.
                      Fill-in main #7 (on a 16 main or #8 on an 18 main) which will be the last main. Adjust tension by adding an additional 4lbs (reference tension +4lbs.)
                      Tie off on main #6 (16 mains) or #7 (18 mains).

CROSS STRINGS :

IMPORTANT: Each cross string must be held under tension at least 20 seconds before clamping off. We recommend weaving the next cross while the previous one remains under tension.
                      Start first three cross strings at same tension applied to the last main string tensionned before tie-off on each side. (+4lbs over the reference tension)
                      After installing 3rd cross string, reduce tension -6lbs and install the rest of the cross strings (This will be reference tension –2lbs)
                      After stringing 3rd last cross, loop over and weave final cross. Increase tension +6lbs.
                      For last cross string fill in second from bottom. Tie off on 3rd cross from the bottom.

Some points to keep in mind :

This presentation of the JET Method is intended for stringers using an electronic constant pull stringing machine with fixed clamps.
                      In the quest for stringing perfection, this is not the ideal stringing machine. However, by using the JET Method conscientiously the results can be remarkably good.
                      If you have the choice of pulling speeds, always select the slowest.
                      Wait 5 seconds before clamping off each main and a minimum of 20 seconds before clamping each of the crosses. (weave in the following cross whilst the previous cross is being tensionned, this can save a lot of time).
                      To become a competant stringer capable of giving top quality string-jobs when applying the JET Method requires many hours to learn and to practice this craft. It is necessary to control the results obtained string by string with a Stringmeter to understand where you are losing tension and where you need to improve your techniques to overcome these weaknesses in your way of working.
                      To aim for the end results on the court for your player requires strong motivation and real passion for your profession. Without your will to improve as a stringer and the capacity to put into question your habits in the way you have been stringing for years, you will not be able to acquire the efficiency in this craft necessary to obtain JET Method Certification. You may well improve your results for your players and that would be a very good start, it may even encourage you to continue to learn to become a much better stringer, even a craftsman. Now it's up to you!
                      He advocates adjusting your normal main tens, say, if you are at 60, drop the mains to 56, and when you get to the two last mains on either side, (4 total) bump them up to 64lbs, and press down on them to equalize the bed after knot tie off. (Due to the higher tens. on the last mains, it raised the whole bed up to 60, but if you start at 60, and raise the last mains to 68, it's going to raise the whole bed up to 63 or so.) The tens. diff. migrates across the bed. He then says increase the crosses 4 lbs up, from 56 to 60, until you get to the last 3 crosses, which you bump up to 64lbs. Doing this will eliminate tension loss as you know it, but it also stiffens up the bed somewhat and drops power down.

The better the player, especially men in good physical condition and good tennis technics, will choose heavier, less rigid racquets with a mid/mid-plus frame and often thicker gauge strings, a denser string-bed at lower tensions. Instead of just playing with the arm, he will put much more weight on the ball by advancing all of his body during the strokes, often accelerating the head of the racquet with a "whipping effect from the wrist, and a generous follow through. The control of the length of the ball will be ensured by the spin generated by the contact of the stringbed to the ball, either by the angle of strike of the stringbed on the ball or the rotation of the racquet during the contact with the ball, and often a combination of both of these actions.

The result is a ball that is noticably slower as it leaves the racquet, the flight of the ball is more rounded but this initial speed will be maintained longer and even increase after the bounce of the ball. The physical effort to return this ball is far more important than in the 1st example, we say that this is a "heavy ball" it has a lot of weight in it, this is the power that has been transmitted to the ball by the player."

If using poly, they advocate a very slow pull, and min. constant pull (if using a cons. pull machine 30% only), and don't clamp off for at least 5sec., to let the poly stretch out. They also say poly performs better at lower tens. due to its stiffness, and the trajectory off the bed is not as high an angle as gut or multis which are softer and more elastic. That's why so many people like low tens. on poly, fewer string breaks as well.

In a nutshell there are a couple of important steps to follow. First, when pulling tension on a crank machine, pull extra slow. Be extremely gentle, almost slow-motionesque, until the tension head clicks into place. This will serve you well with the mains. On the crosses slow pulling is again essential. However, this is where some added guile is required. After you lock the string DO NOT clamp off or release the tension. Allow it to remain under tension while you weave the next cross string. Now come back. Grab the crank with one hand and hold it steady. Next release the tension head. Do not allow the string to release. Rather at this point you will pull until the tension head clicks and re-locks. Clamp off. You have now effectively recovered tension that was lost as the string relaxed. Follow this process for each and every cross string.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                        Head prestige customized:

Approximate specs include: Headsize: 93 sq.in. String Pattern: 18x20. Unstrung Weight: 13.2oz. Unstrung Swingweight: 373 (RDC). Unstrung Balance: 4 points HL. Standard Length. STrung: about 385g. I'd string these with two methods, to see which feels the best: #1 L-tec 1.18mm mains/vs touch crosses: 59/61
                        #2: vs touch mains/L-tec 1.18mm crosses: 61/59lbs. Both with mini jet stringing method.

John Elliot says:

"The Mini JET Method of stringing combined with L-TEC strings provide players with an equipment advantage delivering the best possible on-court results.
                        There are 3 major components of the method that should be implemented in unison to achieve optimal results.

Analyzing and calculating the player’s ideal string bed tension.
                        Choosing the best L-TEC Premium string(s) to improve the player’s game.
                        Applying the exact set tensions and the JET Method of stringing to achieve the precise overall string-bed tension required by the player.

There is a very precise methodology and tools that allow the stringer to string at lower tensions. The stringing technique/method preserves the elasticity of the string and ultimately allows the string bed to hold the desirable playing properties for an extended period of time.

REFERENCE TENSION :

Twenty-four hours after stringing a racquet the overall string-bed tension will measure from -4lbs to -6lbs lower than the tension that was originally set on the machine.
                        After 1 hour of play there will be a further loss of tension of at least -2lbs.
                        The JET Method of stringing progressively increases the overall string-bed tension up to 3lbs higher than the SET Tension on the machine for a 16*19 string pattern and up to 5lbs higher for a 18*20 string-pattern.
                        Therefore, to obtain a similar overall string-bed tension when using the JET Method, the Reference SET tension should be reduced from -7lbs to -10lbs depending on the machine and the string-pattern. The Reference SET Tension on the machine is much lower, but the feeling of stiffness in the string-bed will be quite comparable. The vastly improved comfort, power, control and spin, as well as the capacity to hold tension and maintain an initial playability for much longer than usual stringing methods, are the most evident advantages of the JET Method of stringing.

RACQUET PREPARATION :

If necessary, carefully use an awl to enlargen the grommet holes on #6 main (16 main pattern) or #7 main (18 main pattern) for tie-off. (This will be either top or bottom depending on where main strings end.)

Enlargen the grommet hole on the third cross from bottom of frame for tie-off. (Depending on pattern, this can sometimes vary. The objective is to tie-off as close to the 2nd to last cross as possible).

MAIN STRINGS :

String first four center mains on each side at reference tension.
                        Next 2 (on 16 mains) or 3 (on 18 mains) reduce tension by -4lbs.
                        On a 16 main pattern after pulling main #6 skip over to #8. Increase tension +4lbs (to reference tension) before tensioning. (#8 will be pulled at reference tension). On an 18 main pattern after pulling #7 skip over to #9. Increase tension +4lbs before tensioning.
                        Fill-in main #7 (on a 16 main or #8 on an 18 main) which will be the last main. Adjust tension by adding an additional 4lbs (reference tension +4lbs.)
                        Tie off on main #6 (16 mains) or #7 (18 mains).

CROSS STRINGS :

IMPORTANT: Each cross string must be held under tension at least 20 seconds before clamping off. We recommend weaving the next cross while the previous one remains under tension.
                        Start first three cross strings at same tension applied to the last main string tensionned before tie-off on each side. (+4lbs over the reference tension)
                        After installing 3rd cross string, reduce tension -6lbs and install the rest of the cross strings (This will be reference tension –2lbs)
                        After stringing 3rd last cross, loop over and weave final cross. Increase tension +6lbs.
                        For last cross string fill in second from bottom. Tie off on 3rd cross from the bottom.

Some points to keep in mind :

This presentation of the JET Method is intended for stringers using an electronic constant pull stringing machine with fixed clamps.
                        In the quest for stringing perfection, this is not the ideal stringing machine. However, by using the JET Method conscientiously the results can be remarkably good.
                        If you have the choice of pulling speeds, always select the slowest.
                        Wait 5 seconds before clamping off each main and a minimum of 20 seconds before clamping each of the crosses. (weave in the following cross whilst the previous cross is being tensionned, this can save a lot of time).
                        To become a competant stringer capable of giving top quality string-jobs when applying the JET Method requires many hours to learn and to practice this craft. It is necessary to control the results obtained string by string with a Stringmeter to understand where you are losing tension and where you need to improve your techniques to overcome these weaknesses in your way of working.
                        To aim for the end results on the court for your player requires strong motivation and real passion for your profession. Without your will to improve as a stringer and the capacity to put into question your habits in the way you have been stringing for years, you will not be able to acquire the efficiency in this craft necessary to obtain JET Method Certification. You may well improve your results for your players and that would be a very good start, it may even encourage you to continue to learn to become a much better stringer, even a craftsman. Now it's up to you!
                        He advocates adjusting your normal main tens, say, if you are at 60, drop the mains to 56, and when you get to the two last mains on either side, (4 total) bump them up to 64lbs, and press down on them to equalize the bed after knot tie off. (Due to the higher tens. on the last mains, it raised the whole bed up to 60, but if you start at 60, and raise the last mains to 68, it's going to raise the whole bed up to 63 or so.) The tens. diff. migrates across the bed. He then says increase the crosses 4 lbs up, from 56 to 60, until you get to the last 3 crosses, which you bump up to 64lbs. Doing this will eliminate tension loss as you know it, but it also stiffens up the bed somewhat and drops power down.

The better the player, especially men in good physical condition and good tennis technics, will choose heavier, less rigid racquets with a mid/mid-plus frame and often thicker gauge strings, a denser string-bed at lower tensions. Instead of just playing with the arm, he will put much more weight on the ball by advancing all of his body during the strokes, often accelerating the head of the racquet with a "whipping effect from the wrist, and a generous follow through. The control of the length of the ball will be ensured by the spin generated by the contact of the stringbed to the ball, either by the angle of strike of the stringbed on the ball or the rotation of the racquet during the contact with the ball, and often a combination of both of these actions.

The result is a ball that is noticably slower as it leaves the racquet, the flight of the ball is more rounded but this initial speed will be maintained longer and even increase after the bounce of the ball. The physical effort to return this ball is far more important than in the 1st example, we say that this is a "heavy ball" it has a lot of weight in it, this is the power that has been transmitted to the ball by the player."

If using poly, they advocate a very slow pull, and min. constant pull (if using a cons. pull machine 30% only), and don't clamp off for at least 5sec., to let the poly stretch out. They also say poly performs better at lower tens. due to its stiffness, and the trajectory off the bed is not as high an angle as gut or multis which are softer and more elastic. That's why so many people like low tens. on poly, fewer string breaks as well.

In a nutshell there are a couple of important steps to follow. First, when pulling tension on a crank machine, pull extra slow. Be extremely gentle, almost slow-motionesque, until the tension head clicks into place. This will serve you well with the mains. On the crosses slow pulling is again essential. However, this is where some added guile is required. After you lock the string DO NOT clamp off or release the tension. Allow it to remain under tension while you weave the next cross string. Now come back. Grab the crank with one hand and hold it steady. Next release the tension head. Do not allow the string to release. Rather at this point you will pull until the tension head clicks and re-locks. Clamp off. You have now effectively recovered tension that was lost as the string relaxed. Follow this process for each and every cross string.
                        What does JET stand for?

Comment

John Elliot technique.

Comment

Geoff,

great stringing info. Thank you. I also received your private message.

I'm up in Michigan now (winter storm/freezing rain! Long ways from the sandy shores of Boca Raton) participating at the Ferris State University Professional Tennis Management banquet weekend so I may not reply to posts right away. My apologies.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8174 users online. 5 members and 8169 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X