Speed up or Progressive approach to Developing Competitive Tennis Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    In my country the pace of progression is governed by the system, namely the ratings system...the system which grades players in terms of standard. Players must play lots of matches and achieve a 60% win ratio to move up. It starts at aged 6 and has to be kept pace with otherwise their rating will fall behind.

Players must achieve the highest possible rating as they pass through each age group to qualify for the best tournaments, to qualify for regional training camps, to qualify for funding from the governing body (the LTA). If a player doesn't play along with the ratings system their rating won't move up and they will be "locked out" of the parts system essential for making a good player.
    As I said I am from Croatia (last year new EU member), but we as society in general/tennis society are at the very beginning.We have lesser faire system - it means there is not system (everybody tries to find his own way).Normally politicians/tennis institutions staff are paid although do nothing and have no responsibility.

At one point I applied to LTA job offers, and I liked all this organisational structure and procedures, but it seems that at your place there is too much procedures (not enough creativity - normally with responsibility) so that form prevails over content.And , this is not good either because we are not all the same (we do not develop at the same pace).

For very high achievements (as becoming professional tennis player) there must be people with vision,courage,creativity (normally responsibility).People who because of their personality,knowledge,experience,way of thinking are allowed to act beyond procedures when they feel proper.

To me, it seems that so much procedures are the way to have alibi.

I think, I have point because LTA is well funded, but it does not produce results accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by damir View Post

At one point I applied to LTA job offers, and I liked all this organisational structure and procedures, but it seems that at your place there is too much procedures (not enough creativity - normally with responsibility) so that form prevails over content.And , this is not good either because we are not all the same (we do not develop at the same pace).

I think, I have point because LTA is well funded, but it does not produce results accordingly.
      The problem here is hard to analyze accurately. Yes we have a rigid system in many ways, but then many of the wealthy go abroad and still don't make it. Hundreds have migrated to Spain and France to be coached over the last ten years with no luck...other than Murray.

One thing we all agree on over here is we don't have enough players playing tennis. The game is shrinking due to new sports that are emerging.
      Stotty

Comment

I think that so far we all agree in following:

it is extrenely difficult to become professional tennis player, and choose it as profession is very risky choice and should not be adviced to anyone to try to achieve.

There are always people who try.Here I would recognize two groups:

- parents who are rich and by bringing a child to professional tennis seek social recognition, and
        - parents whose motive is to earn money by bringing a child to professional tennis.

In both instances, parents are really not aware how difficult path are about to take with extremely low probalility to succeed.

Comment

What is role of national tennis federations?

It ranges from even obstructing whole process to giving fair amount of support(logistics,knowledge,financial).

On the other hand, they impose certain rules which are not tested in real life so no one knows if these rules lead to the top or not.

No tennis federation support all the way to the peak.The best organized federations support to last basic camp before decisive climb to conquere the peak.

What does it say?

It says that parents are the ones who stay with a child all the way (good or bad), and such they have to be the ones who decide.

All others which accompany them part of the way should be seen as support to facilitate the climb, but not as ones who make the rules.

They should listen, and be helpful as much as possibble, but real power to choose must reside with parents.

Comment

Originally posted by damir View Post
            but real power to choose must reside with parents.
            Sounds frightening...
            Stotty

Comment

Sounds frightening...
              Whole process is really frightening!

Obviously,even the best tennis federations are not fit and willing to answer this question (by being directly involved, and take blame for failure or praise for success) so it is only natural that power of making desicions resides with the ones who take risk.
              Last edited by damir; 04-03-2014, 02:43 AM.

Comment

When I started this thread, did not anticipate where it will lead.

I tried to start discussion on possible path to take to become professional tennis player, and now through discussion is obvious that there is vacuum (no man's land) in part of process.

There is vacuum from the point where one has to say,"Yes, this boy/girl has potential (talent + so far accumulated work) to go all the way to the top,and how to do it the rest of the path that all this work (10000 hours) do not become wasted."

It is amazing how difficult is to become professional tennis player,how much fame and glory one has who achieved,but it is also amazing that in such difficult.intricate,delicate path there is such gap at such important point of development which somehow has to be overcome.
                Last edited by damir; 04-03-2014, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Look at this case.

Marion Bartoli really had great professional tennis career, career that every parent wishes.

Although, French tennis federation is looked at as one of the best organized tennis federation in the world, Marion did not become what she was as tennis player thank to French tennis federation, but thank to her father.

How is this possible.The father who is doctor (I do not know if he even playes tennis or not) did something what the most of world tennis federations cannot do even in the dreams (French federation does from time to time).

How is this possible?

Is it possible that somobody (who is not in automotive branch) builds a better sport car than Ferari (which has tradition,knowledge,experience,resources).No,no way.

How is this then possible in tennis?Rare,but as the example suggests possible.

Obviously, there is vacuum - something is missing on part of every tennis federation.

They have resources,logistics,infrastructure, but obviously they do not have right approach.For this last climb is necessary total commitment,passion,individual approach,complet devotion,extra energy.

It seems that tennis federations are too bureacratic institutions, and as such are not able to fine tune a tennis player in order to become professional tennis player.
                  Last edited by damir; 04-03-2014, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Damir,

Well this has turned out to be a good conversation...that could bounce along for ages. It would be interesting what others feel about their federations or governing bodies. What role they feel they should play?

I think perhaps you generalise too much. There is no set formula for making tennis players. Why should governing bodies shoulder total responsibility? Their job is mostly to promote the game and offer support.

Besides, the best things (not just in sport either) often emerge from chaos. Plenty of outstanding athletes have come of chaotic countries.
                    Last edited by stotty; 04-03-2014, 04:16 AM.
                    Stotty

Comment

Damir,

Well this has turned out to be a good conversation...that could bounce along for ages. It would be interesting what others feel about their federations or governing bodies. What role they feel they should play?
                      I did not plan that it turns this way, but trying to lead to discuss one topic, I found a problem which it seems is related to all tennis federations.

Comment

Damir,

I think perhaps you generalise too much. There is no set formula for making tennis players. Why should governing bodies shoulder total responsibility? Their job is mostly to promote the game and offer support.
                        First, I agree there is not general formula to produce professional tennis player.On the other hand, if there is agreement to more things in general, it is higher probability to achieve this goal.As the game of tennis progresses so must the knowledge at even faster rate so that gap between known and unkown is kept under control - it does not increase as the game progresses.

I think that the main goal of national tennis federation is to support competitive tennis.It is easy to see the strength of some nation in tennis and organization of its national tennis federation.It is directly proportional.

In my opinion relating to resources available, tennis federation has two maim tasks:

- to follow sport science development related to tennis
                        - present new knowledge in understandable and applicable way
                        Last edited by damir; 04-03-2014, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Damir,

Besides, the best things (not just in sport either) often emerge from chaos. Plenty of outstanding athletes have come of chaotic countries.
                          Yes, I would agree with that, but here one has to differentiate two things:

- at what level, and
                          - what kind of chaos

Chaos of any kind at ground level is excessive.At ground level has to be consesus about main questions.Chaos at this level is extremely detrimental, and it is main culprit why so many talented athletes failed.

Positive chaos or organized chaos is desirable to appear at really high level (this is what I said that at one point some people should be allowed to act outside framework)because it may stimulate creativity, and finding new solutions,breaking new frontiers.
                          Last edited by damir; 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM.

Comment

There is no explanation as to why so many serb/croats, all over the world, have made it in pro tennis. Neither is there one for why both world wars started there either. Seems like anyone with the sur fix ic, has a chance most of us don't! Genetic predisposition to sword fighting and battle in general? Something going on genetically in that arena.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8634 users online. 6 members and 8628 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X