Vote for Your Favorite Wimbledon Poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for Your Favorite Wimbledon Poster

Wimbledon. It's my favorite tournament. How about you?

ESPN is giving us, the fans, a chance to vote for the 2014 Wimbledon Official poster. Check out the 10 finalists. Let me hear your take and who your favorite is.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll...mbledon-poster

For the record, my favorite is #3. I love the greenery that is broken up by a well dressed Wimbledon linesman, who, in the spirit of fair play and with understated class, is calling a ball in.

Although #6 is a very close 2nd.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

I voted for 3 too. My second choice is 4...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
      I voted for 3 too. My second choice is 4...
      Phil, initially #4 struck me as the clear cut favorite. I love the simplicity and the message it portrayed "The sport in its purest form". However, upon further review when the grass has been slowed down and you have guys competing like Djokovic and Nadal having won the title from the baseline, I have a hard time succumbing to the fact that it is in its purest form at the moment. But i'm glad we agree on #3

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Not #4...holding the racket like that!

I would go for #5

Kyle, the grass is slower these days, but it's still viable to win from the net. It's just no one has those skills anymore. Stakhovsky and Dustin Brown last year proved a more traditional grass court is still possible.

Dustin Brown served and volleyed off his first and second serves and plopped shorts volleys over the net...created havoc. And he's lowly ranked.
        Last edited by stotty; 03-31-2014, 05:13 AM.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          Not #4...holding the racket like that!

I would go for #5

Kyle, the grass is slower these days, but it's still viable to win from the net. It's just no one has those skills anymore. Stakhovsky and Dustin Brown last year proved a more traditional grass court is still possible.

Dustin Brown served and volleyed off his first and second serves and plopped shorts volleys over the net...created havoc. And he's lowly ranked.
          As usual, you are right stotty! I remember Dustin Brown's game. It was great to watch him frsutrate his opponents. I do agree that a traditional game can still win on grass, but it's much tougher finding someone with the skill set to go truly deep in the tournament or make a legitimate run.

In regards to the posters...It's very cool Wimbledon is opening up this contest to the public. If I had any artistic skill whatsoever, I'd certainly give it a go. Why was #5 your favorite? What was it about this poster that struck you. Interested to hear your reasoning and other forum contributors picks and reasoning. Great how art can stir something inside of us.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Int

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            What was it about this poster that struck you. Interested to hear your reasoning and other forum contributors picks and reasoning. Great how art can stir something inside of us.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Int
            I tend to go for the "abstract" as opposed to "clean lines". I found the messy look of #5 the most interesting.
            Stotty

Comment

#10. Never thought of the union jack as a tennis court before.

Comment

no. 3 is already the "official" poster for wimbledon

Comment

The Posters...Impostors

1. A purple ball on velcro grass.

2. A play on your memory. The classic wood racquet...long extinct along with real classic tennis. Net play. Serve and volley. Approach tactics.

3. An Orwellian subliminal message. The umpire (the authorities) signaling good or "safe". Read everything is ok. All is safe. When in fact it is not.

4. Another Orwellian subliminal message. "The sport in it's purest form" makes a mockery of the truth. A mockery of reality. 1984.

5. Blah, blah, blah...

6. If it wasn't for the yellow ball...dotting the "i". It should be white...at least it is in my hallucination.

7. Mockery...smiles. I hate it.

8. Hard to get tough on the "heart"...representing the love for the game.

9. The "1" is bothersome. What is the artist saying?

10. Not bad...although there is something a bit disconcerting about the Union Jack flag...and what it represents in the big picture.

11. None of the above...only for those that refuse to participate in the "dog and pony" show. Wimbledon is merely a figment of my imagination. Velcro grass. Baseline duels. Absence of serve and volley. Everything is ok...though. It wouldn't surprise me if #3 took the cake. It's all under control folks. You can trust those in charge.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 04-01-2014, 12:48 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8956 users online. 1 members and 8955 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X