The Only Way to Win: Confidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Only Way to Win: Confidence

Let's get your thoughts on Jim Loehr's latest, "The Only Way to Win: Confidence"

I have loved this series of articals.

Controling the things you can control leads to gaining confidence.

The mental game is something we need to talk about.

To me it's pretty straight forward. The mental game is about winning the conversation in my head, believing in my strokes and staying aware of what's going on in the match. But, each of those elements take time delevolp and deferent types of practice.

To win the conversation in my head means to maitain a positive voice the entire match regardless of the result. How does one practice this? I would have said in the past playing many practice sets is the only way to practice this but I like the idea of journaling while imaging different story lines. If you're the writer then you have total control over what you do in the story. Then in a match all you have to do is improvise along the storyline you have created.

In order to trust my strokes. I must have a crystal clear image of what I must do to execute those strokes.

To understand what is going on in the match. I have to understand strategy and tactics. I must understand my own game and understand my opponents game.

How do you guys out there approach the mental game of tennis?

Comment

The more this series has gone on, the more I am convinced it leans a little towards brainwashing, leading ultimately to the student brainwashing himself. I don't mean brainwashing in a negative way, nor do I mean the series has been phoney, far from it, it's been excellent.

I feel this way because it's hard to change your mentality and the way you will react in given situations. Your amygdala controls your fear responses and it's tough to do much about that. Some people have more active amygdalae than others. You need a strong nerve to win the big matches. You cannot afford be a fearful person at crunch time.

If you are a nervy type (and I have coached many nervy types), it's tough to change and override your nerves.

We had a world champion darts player here in the UK who developed the yips and never overcame them. It got to the point where he couldn't release the dart. No amount of psychotherapy could reverse it. He was never the same again and his form became so poor he withdrew from the sport.

I do feel you can grow in confidence by developing sound strokes. I have often felt having sound technique will lead to greater confidence by default.
      Last edited by stotty; 04-15-2014, 01:26 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

The original jim loehr material goes back to the birth of the site and is still valid. Brainwashing could be one word for it. But u could also call it reprogramming or just personal growth.
        Last edited by johnyandell; 04-15-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Stotty, Having spoken to Jim Loehr on multiple occasions, I can tell you he's a very genuine person. No brainwashing or hype. I like John's wording of "personal growth".

You are right, it's tough to change your natural wiring. If it were easy, this world would be a much different place. There's always some soul searching involved in what Dr. Loehr talks about.

Dr. Loehr is not forcing you to do his advice. you can take it or leave it. But Stotty, I know what you are saying and you make some very good points. I'm not into the "zen hippy dippy find your spirit animal kind of framework" but I do believe that positive thoughts create positive outcomes. Positive things create positive situations can create positive moments. Tennis is a tough sport, and many people can hit a tennis ball. But sometimes you need that spark, that trick to make you believe you can get over that hump. Having goals and working towards them are great. Sometimes you already know that, sometimes you need a nudge or a voice. Every player is different.

Sometimes, The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

One of the main goals I feel for tennis coaches, besides giving your students effective strokes, is to make your students aware. Awareness is key. Not just on the ball, on their tactics, on their opponent but on themselves. Are they aware of how they are acting on court? Are they aware of their match goals? Are they aware of how they are winning points and losing points? Are they aware of the body language they are showcasing to the world. Awareness is key.

This has been a great series featuring Dr. Loehr. I'm glad he has been a supporter of tennisplayer.net since the early days. Looking forward to more from him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            I do feel you can grow in confidence by developing sound strokes. I have often felt having sound technique will lead to greater confidence by default.
            I feel like improving strokes can be an endless process. How does a person know when their strokes are ready?

Comment

l and ds,

The process of being a tennis player is ongoing and that's what makes it fun and life enhancing.

To me the goal is to framework and master both your strokes and your mental game--which includes physical posture and internal mental dialogue.

The end result is that the game can be a form of dynamic ritual or physical meditation. Words have a minimal part of you play based on positive image and feeling, dealing with the challenges and negativity using the tools you have developed. Confidence grows by practicing these.

I would definitely work my thru the original Loehr articles starting here:

Work your way down the list from there and then the two at the top last. Report back!
              Last edited by johnyandell; 04-15-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Done it!

Comment

That was fast. What did you think?

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post

To me the goal is to framework and master both your strokes and your mental game--which includes physical posture and internal mental dialogue.

The end result is that the game can be a form of dynamic ritual or physical meditation. Words have a minimal part of you play based on positive image and feeling, dealing with the challenges and negativity using the tools you have developed. Confidence grows by practicing these.

I would definitely work my thru the original Loehr articles starting here:

Work your way down the list from there and then the two at the top last. Report back!
                    Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Stotty, Having spoken to Jim Loehr on multiple occasions, I can tell you he's a very genuine person. No brainwashing or hype. I like John's wording of "personal growth".
                    Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

I read Jim's series of articles. I like them all, particularly Love the Battle.

When I chose the word brainwashing, I knew the connotations it would have. I only said..."leans a "little" towards brainwashing"...but I knew even if I "hedged" that sentence it would make ears prick up. That's what certain words can do.

"Educating" and brainwashing aren't necessarily that far apart. It's a fine line.

Taking 16 seconds, staving off negative thoughts, developing rituals, etc., could be looked at as brainwashing oneself in to a positive state of mind.

But I understand the difference between educating a player versus brainwashing. I just wanted to point out there is fine line between the two.

It would be great if Jim could pop in and give a view on my theories about the amygdala...and brainwashing. I wonder if he would agree brainwashing treads a fine line.

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
                    I feel like improving strokes can be an endless process. How does a person know when their strokes are ready?
                    When I young and my game was developing it gave me great self-confidence when certain aspects of my game started coming together. I felt developing my game was the biggest key to success, which it was. I gained confidence with having better strokes.

The one shot that didn't develop was my forehand. It was flawed. Practicing more didn't solve the problem. I was entirely self-taught with no one to direct me and tell why my forehand was a liability.

Having a weakness on a shot so significant affected my confidence at the most crucial times. I avoided forehands like the plague. The bigger the point, the more of a liability it became.

Technique and confidence are linked. I am convinced of that.
                    Stotty

Comment

I love the articals very good stuff

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7625 users online. 1 members and 7624 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X