No announcement yet.

Nadal's onehanded slice backhand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my mind, slice and chop aren't as different as advertised. In all such shots the strings slide past the ball-- toward the net, down, across for sidespin, under for a drop-shot. Variety is what backhand slice is all about, and the people who love it become 189 per cent better at hitting volleys than those who don't.

Comment

To Try

1) Simple backhand slice in which wrist straightening is the only real transition, as far as racket work is concerned, between backswing and foreskin, I mean foreswing.

2) Complicated backhand slice in which the wrist already is straight by end of the backswing (including stride). The "foreswing" then includes a mild double roll to generate extra racket head speed combined with more manageable contact point because not exaggeratedly out front.

Premise: Anything that makes tennis more simple is good. And I figure that two manipulations (backward and forward roll of arm) is the biggest number I want.

Note: I'm not categorizing arm-straightening here as "manipulation." That-- amount of it and where-- has to have already been worked out.

Wrist, hand and fingers movement however does count, in accordance with root meaning of the word "manipulation." For complicated slice here, I'm arguing, "Get as much such manipulation as possible accomplished early or even before the backswing so that it's out of the way."

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
        To my mind, slice and chop aren't as different as advertised. In all such shots the strings slide past the ball-- toward the net, down, across for sidespin, under for a drop-shot. Variety is what backhand slice is all about, and the people who love it become 189 per cent better at hitting volleys than those who don't.
        I measured a 193% improvement in volleys

Comment

Close enough.

Comment

Grips

Originally posted by stroke View Post
            I've always felt that Nadal and Novak have too much of a forehand grip on their backhand slice and backhand volley. Because of this, their contact point is not as far forward as someone like Roger(or Stepanek), who nails the continental grip, and as a consequence, naturally extends their wrist on contact, the strongest position for the wrist, producing a much firmer, stronger contact, and farther out in front.

I would say most of the young players upcoming do the same. I started noticing it maybe 10 years ago with players I worked with. Volleys are less effective and slice sits up, but terrific drop shots!

Doug

Comment

1) Simple backhand slice in which wrist straightening is the only real transition, as far as racket work is concerned, between backswing and foreskin, I mean foreswing.

2) Complicated backhand slice in which the wrist already is straight by end of the backswing (including stride). The "foreswing" then includes a mild double roll to generate extra racket head speed combined with more manageable contact point because not exaggeratedly out front.

Premise: Anything that makes tennis more simple is good. And I figure that two manipulations (backward and forward roll of arm) is the biggest number I want.

Note: I'm not categorizing arm-straightening here as "manipulation." That-- amount of it and where-- has to have already been worked out.

Wrist, hand and fingers movement however does count, in accordance with root meaning of the word "manipulation." For complicated slice here, I'm arguing, "Get as much such manipulation as possible accomplished early or even before the backswing so that it's out of the way."

What is wrist straightening? Why would it occur at the end of the backswing? If I am guessing you mean neutral position, that would be incorrect technique. Returning back to a neutral position from an extended and radially deviated position would occur in the forward swing after contact.

Best,
              Doug

Comment

I welcome expert challenge to my changing amateur assumptions (daily) but think that no one in tennis "how-to" has ever sufficiently explained what the wrist ought to do in a one hand backhand of any kind. Not at least for a general audience which by definition includes persons who don't get around on the ball in time.

But, Doug, to address your specific question-- what is wrist straightening and why would it occur at the end of the backswing?-- I call attention to the first repeating video of great modern slice in the following article:

Trey Waltke's wrist is concave at the end of the backswing. But "concave" can be a difficult term. "Concave" then from what vantage point? From a helicopter directly overhead. Waltke's wrist, in miniature, is The Grand Canyon.

But, oops, look again. Waltke's wrist is also flat at the end of the backswing. It is flat because it has flattened at the end of the backswing. Wrist changed from Grand Canyon to a prairie in Oklahoma. But why would Waltke or anyone do this? For reason of timing is all I could come up with. This seems a smaller than usual behind the back loop that comes from the wrist.

I tried it for two days and why not since I admire Waltke's slice? Then I made sure wrist was already as flat as the Spanish plain in early, neutral, jouncing position before I even decided whether the oncoming ball predicted a forehand or backhand by me.

As to your last sentence, Doug, "Returning back to a neutral position from an extended and radially deviated position would occur in the forward swing after contact," I'll try it.
                Last edited by bottle; 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I welcome expert challenge to my changing amateur assumptions (daily) but think that no one in tennis "how-to" has ever sufficiently explained what the wrist ought to do in a one hand backhand of any kind. Not at least for a general audience which by definition includes persons who don't get around on the ball in time.

But, Doug, to address your specific question-- what is wrist straightening and why would it occur at the end of the backswing?-- I call attention to the first repeating video of great modern slice in the following article:

Trey Waltke's wrist is concave at the end of the backswing. But "concave" can be a difficult term. "Concave" then from what vantage point? From a helicopter directly overhead. Waltke's wrist, in miniature, is The Grand Canyon.

But, oops, look again. Waltke's wrist is also flat at the end of the backswing. It is flat because it has flattened at the end of the backswing. Wrist changed from Grand Canyon to a prairie in Oklahoma. But why would Waltke or anyone do this? For reason of timing is all I could come up with. This seems a smaller than usual behind the back loop that comes from the wrist.

I tried it for two days and why not since I admire Waltke's slice? Then I made sure wrist was already as flat as the Spanish plain in early, neutral, jouncing position before I even decided whether the oncoming ball predicted a forehand or backhand by me.

As to your last sentence, Doug, "Returning back to a neutral position from an extended and radially deviated position would occur in the forward swing after contact," I'll try it.
                  I imagine concave means extended position (wrist extension). I'm a bit lost in the Grand Canyon. Even in a prairie, everything looks the same. But it sounds like Waltke is sometimes using wrist extension at the end of the backswing. :0

Comment

The most confusing run-down on "wrist extension" I ever encountered involved a hypothetical where I, the eager student, was supposed to sit down at a plain wood table so that the teaching pro seated at the opposite side could fill up my pitcher.

"Okay, John," I think he said. "Place your arm flat on the table. Keep your forearm in contact with the wood. Now lift up your hand. That's wrist extension."

"No, Alphonso," I think I said. "You place your arm flat on the table. Keep your forearm in contact with the wood, with your hand upraised. Now lower your hand to the table. THAT's wrist extension."

He ignored me although he opined that I was unscientific.

"Now John," he said. "Keeping your arm just the way it is, slide it over so the hinge of your hand is aligned with the edge of the table. Now press your hand down toward the floor. That's called..."

"Listen, Alphonso, I don't want to do this."
                    Last edited by bottle; 05-05-2014, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 10134 users online. 3 members and 10131 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X