Nadal Time Violations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nadal Time Violations

Serena Williams footfaults by a quarter inch and it's a world controversy. But Nadal breaks the rules (I am going to call it for what it is--cheating) by delaying over 25 seconds routinely between points. And no one has made much of it at all.

Well, maybe that is changing. Here is something from Bob Larson's newsletter about what happened in Monte Carlo. And apparently Nadal thinks the rules don't really apply to him, still...

Nadal Gets Two Time Violations in Monte Carlo Match

Rafael Nadal said umpires are becoming redundant if they do not use their discretion during matches. The world No. 1 was calling for flexibility in enforcing the time violations rule.
    Nadal received a time violation twice in his third round match against Gabashvili, complaining extensively to the umpire Pascal Maria after getting one when at 30-40, 4-0 in the second set.
    "Today I cannot accept this one because was after a very long rally, was breakpoint against," he said. "The umpire, that I consider a good umpire like Pascal, was not right."
    Players are allowed 25 seconds between points, receiving a warning the first time they go over and then losing a first serve or receiving point. Nadal, who is among those who take the longest between points, has been one of the players most affected.
    "I need to change. I need to go quicker a lot of times. I know that," he said, but questioned the decision made by the umpire in this match.
    "At the same time I think when the things are not right, I never have any problem to say that things are not like this.
    "My feeling today, the way that the match develops, was not the right day to have two warnings for me. No one chance that that happen, no? Is because the umpire really wanted to do."
    With Hawk Eye also making overrules less frequent, Nadal asked if umpires were sometimes only calling scores.
    "If you want to make the things that way, the easier thing is put [a watch] on court and we don't need umpires anymore," he said. "Why we doing to have the umpires anymore? We can have the electronic, like we have, scoreboard and we can see 15-30. We don't need nobody that is just saying '15-30,' '30-30,' 'game Nadal,' or 'game Gabashvili'... Because we have all the lines. We can put the Hawk Eye here."
    However, Nadal won two straight games after the controversy to win the match.

Here's an interesting video for you John...

One service game (Federer) vs. time between points (Nadal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29EV2I5wt3U

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Cheating...or should officials grow some balls?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Here's an interesting video for you John...

One service game (Federer) vs. time between points (Nadal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29EV2I5wt3U

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Fabulous find Klacr...

Is it cheating or are the officials letting us down? Nadal's not the only one to take an age between points. The officials need to grow some balls here. You can understand the problem, though, because Nadal is a bully and intimidating.

I would cut the time down even more. How about 16 seconds? Jim Loehr might agree.

Someone ought to tell Nadal it's not about recouping your breath back. It's about play being continuous and being tested physically regardless of how long the previous rally was. Both players SHOULD play out-of-breath if needs be...that's the idea.
      Last edited by stotty; 04-18-2014, 12:53 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

It's not the only way he cheats/psyches guys. Peds for one thing, according to the spanish doctor whose records were sealed by the spanish govt. Insisting on going out second always. Gloat screaming/vampire suck psyching. Butt pick/penis pulling crap. Etc.

Comment

Yep the officials are complicit. But if you could get away with bad line calls because the officials look the other way, would you?

That's what I think is ironic in all the political correct kiss up talk about Nadal being such a great sportsman. He delays things at the start of the coin flip, a small but annoying tactic.
          And if you want to see some of his other psychological tactics, check this out:

Last edited by johnyandell; 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Yep the officials are complicit. But if you could get away with bad line calls because the officials look the other way, would you?

That's what I think is ironic in all the political correct kiss up talk about Nadal being such a great sportsman. He delays things at the start of the coin flip, a small but annoying tactic.
            And if you want to see some of his other psychological tactics, check this out:

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...open_2007.html
            Before Hawk-Eye some players did cheat the lines.

I sat a few rows back at Wimbledon in the late 70s when McEnroe was playing someone who's name eludes me for now. On the second point of the match Mac's opponent hit a ball that landed on the edge of the line. The linesman (who was bald) didn't call it out. Mac turned around and glared at the linesman (hands on hips...you can picture it) and said: "We've played just two points and you've screwed up already, baldy". The spectators within audible distance either laughed or oohed depending their background. The linesman visibly cringed. Anything anywhere near the line got called out in Mac's favour after that.

And Nastase...well...let's not even go there...

At the end of the day rules are rules and it's down to officials to clamp down on those susceptible to the worst side of human nature...those who will cheat if allowed. Nadal cheats because the officials allow it. They're too lax with him.
            Stotty

Comment

I say, keep the blood frozen, and when the testing catches up with the cheaters, strip them of their titles, the money, and clear the record books of any victories. Take their houses away. Barry Bonds saw his father die of lymph node cancer at 57 yrs. old. Uncle Tony may see Nadal die of ped poison.
              Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 04-19-2014, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Wow, pretty harsh Geoff! Why all this hate against Nadal? This is one point where I will have to disagree with you. I like the guy. His quirks are absolutely nothing compared to this guy:

http://julianrubinstein.com/articles/mcenroe/

Never could stand watching McEnroe's arrogance and insulting behaviour. Talk about dirty tactics and outright cheating! He insulted linesmen, ballboys, umpires with his foul language. He should have been banned.
                Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-18-2014, 11:24 PM.

Comment

T
                  Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  Wow, pretty harsh Geoff! Why all this hate against Nadal? This is one point where I will have to disagree with you. I like the guy. His quirks are absolutely nothing compared to this guy:

http://julianrubinstein.com/articles/mcenroe/

Never could stand watching McEnroe's arrogance and insulting behaviour. Talk about dirty tactics and outright cheating! He insulted linesmen, ballboys, umpires with his foul language. He should have been banned.
                  So true. He has the best tennis hands ever, still has them on the senior tour, best 55 year old player ever, and still totally dislikeable attitude on court. And to me, Connors was even worse.

Comment

Lots of stringers, apparently, would say he didn't pay them, according to others statements, which I am not sure are true or not, but if they are, mac has to answer to that on judgement day.

Comment

Taking a close look at doping control in professional tennis. How stringent is it? We also look at other issues related to the integrity of the sport.

Comment

Might be true. But, pro tennis needs to reevaluate their drug policies.

By the way everyone(pros and us) uses PEDs.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8802 users online. 5 members and 8797 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X