After Shoulder Surgery Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Shoulder Surgery Serve

I am posting my serve. 18 month ago I had surgery It still doesn't feel quite right but it has gotten much better over the last three months. What do you guys see?

http://youtu.be/9Ftyx46zNHA

http://youtu.be/6yo9FLOA8Uo

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
    I am posting my serve. 18 month ago I had surgery It still doesn't feel quite right but it has gotten much better over the last three months. What do you guys see?

http://youtu.be/9Ftyx46zNHA

http://youtu.be/6yo9FLOA8Uo
    It looks like a nice motion. It's really hard to see what's actually happening without some high speed slow motion, even regular slow motion frame-by-frame. I wonder if you are getting all the upward motion you could and whether or not you are getting all the internal shoulder rotation you could.

What was the surgery? What kind of rehab exercises did you do? How long? Did you do any specific therapy to get the adhesions and scar tissue out of the joint? I do Graston and that can be very helpful. Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) can be very helpful too. And the rehab has to be massive to support the kind of stress your serve will put on the shoulder. Some doctors don't realize that you are actually serving at close to pro speeds and require amazing amounts of rehab to go back to doing what you were doing before your injury.

don

Comment

I like your serve motion. Nice toss, archer's bow, nice swing, good drop. Looks smooth to me. Wish I had it...
      Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-19-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        I like your serve motion. Nice toss, archer's bow, nice swing, good drop. Looks smooth to me. Wish I had it...
        Thanks,

I am missing 10mph and I can't really kick it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
          Thanks,

I am missing 10mph and I can't really kick it anymore.
          Good serve...like it. Nice, smooth and technically good.

Here's mine:

We both lack leg drive but at least you have an excuse. Must be tough to the confidence to stretch from the shoulder to drive upwards after your operation. I've never had much of a launch, just a nice arm action.
          Stotty

Comment

Yours is very nice too Stotty...

Lobndropshot, guess kicking it after shoulder surgery might be a bit premature...

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
              It looks like a nice motion. It's really hard to see what's actually happening without some high speed slow motion, even regular slow motion frame-by-frame. I wonder if you are getting all the upward motion you could and whether or not you are getting all the internal shoulder rotation you could.

What was the surgery? What kind of rehab exercises did you do? How long? Did you do any specific therapy to get the adhesions and scar tissue out of the joint? I do Graston and that can be very helpful. Active Isolated Stretching (AIS) can be very helpful too. And the rehab has to be massive to support the kind of stress your serve will put on the shoulder. Some doctors don't realize that you are actually serving at close to pro speeds and require amazing amounts of rehab to go back to doing what you were doing before your injury.

don
              That's a good point I think I need to do more PT.

Comment

Will in a Baseball Field

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                We've got to call Will Hamilton Will, right? Just the way awful people call William Shakespeare Will? Because Will Hamilton went to Davidson College in North Carolina where some say there are bidnis models even better than at the Wharton School in Pennsylvania. Will is up to 47 million hits or subscriptions or somethings, so it's time to call him by his first name in recognition that he exists.

Will has a thing on the internet called serve killers, I think. You click on something like "Will Hamilton's 20 serve killers" and soon find yourself filling in multiple choice questions, engaged in a dialectic about what is robbing your serve of 15 to 20 mph .

I did it, Phil, and thought of you once the dialectic got me, you and rotorded servers everywhere to the problem of insufficient racket drop.

Will's solution was-- and this may be painful since everybody knows there aren't any flat fields in Switzerland except maybe public parks in Geneva-- just mountains and lakes.

But I was thinking maybe you could go out on a pontoon raft on the lake with a racket that floats. Now, serve, straight up into the sky, letting the handle go so your racket flies.

When Will-- in a video which I'm sorry that I wasn't quick enough to capture (it was late at night and I was distracted by all the letters people had written in response to Will's service program with Pat Rafter resulting from a brief meeting between the two in Florida)-- did the exercise, he stood in the middle of a baseball diamond.

And used his regular service motion to throw his racket as high-- straight up-- as he could.

Straight up, I say, but I notice that the racket, after excellent hang time, didn't come down on Will's head. No, it landed just slightly in front of him. This is the answer to all problems of rotordation for you, me and everybody, according to Will.

I believe in listening to everyone and have always found WILL interesting although I know that not everybody agrees. I WILL say that the racket stayed in the air long enough for WILL to WAIL for a WHILE.

But never mind caviling and personal attack. Let's stay open to everybody and everything. What if this IS the answer to a better racket drop!? The goal of a vertical throw of one's racket could re-arrange one's regular motion into a better racket drop. WE'LL see. And if not, WILL go back to the drawing board.
                Last edited by bottle; 05-07-2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Follow-up E-mail

Hey John Escher,

Thanks for taking our free serve killer analyzer tool. Based on your answers, you suffer from serve killer #6. After you completed the analyzer tool you should have been re-directed to the appropriate fix video.

If you haven't see it yet click here to see the fix for your #1 Serve Killer.

I'll be in touch soon - just wanted to send you a quick "hello" email ;-]

Will
                  Fuzzy Yellow Balls, 4545 Connecticut Ave. NW #535, Washington, DC 20008, USA

Unsubscribe | Change Subscriber Options

pHIL pICURI: Could you ask my Swiss cousin Norbert Escher, the one who beat Wimbledon Champion Maria Bueno, if he would arrange a match between me and Maria since I want to beat her too even though she's very very good?
                  Last edited by bottle; 05-07-2014, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7653 users online. 11 members and 7642 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X