Wawrinka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wawrinka

The only player to beat these guys in the last few months: Murray, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Ferrer. Most would say he is not one of them. At 29yr. old, he improved his game: fh, serve, consistency, bh. Name me another guy who has been able to do that. I can't remember anyone. Maybe that will teach Fed not to let anyone use his personal trainer anymore!

His bh is an advertisement for players to have a one hander. My new favorite player, due to that accomplishment, and shows it's still possible to raise your level at an older age.

The mind also is stronger. It's one thing to hit aces against a top player in practice, and it's another thing when money, people, and the match is really on the line. Shows that a big coil is absolutely necessary on the bh side.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 04-20-2014, 10:37 AM.

He's also the only player to take it to Nadal as far as the mind games go.

Comment

He doesn't have Federer's talent, but reminds me of Jim Courier: a guy who really works hard and gets there...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        He doesn't have Federer's talent, but reminds me of Jim Courier: a guy who really works hard and gets there...
        Only a handful of players in history sit alongside Federer for talent, Phil. Wawrinka is talented, just not up with the Gods.

Wawrinka really came in to his own at the end of that Monte Carlo. He was even supremely confident in the last four or five games. The last shot of the match testified just how confident he had become. You don't hit a forehand like that at match-point without a lot of self-belief.

I found the match a little patchy. Federer fell away as Wawrinka usurped him after a wobbly set and a half.
        Stotty

Comment

Slo mo of Wawrinka backhand at 3-5, first set

Fed wobbled in the second set dropping that early break which he got back and then he stumbled just a little at the beginning of the tie-breaker to let Stan get ahead. Then he compounded it starting the third and after that Stan was clearly the better player.

I recorded this shot off of my monitor so please excuse the quality of the video, but it is such a great shot of how Wawrinka keeps the left shoulder still even as he fully extends the right shoulder. Also, a nice shot of the full weight transfer and when he completes it. This was the short ball he hit to force an error off Federer in a series of three consecutive backhands at the beginning of the 3-5 game in the first set.

I thought Bottle might particularly enjoy it.

don

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
            Fed wobbled in the second set dropping that early break which he got back and then he stumbled just a little at the beginning of the tie-breaker to let Stan get ahead. Then he compounded it starting the third and after that Stan was clearly the better player.

I recorded this shot off of my monitor so please excuse the quality of the video, but it is such a great shot of how Wawrinka keeps the left shoulder still even as he fully extends the right shoulder. Also, a nice shot of the full weight transfer and when he completes it. This was the short ball he hit to force an error off Federer in a series of three consecutive backhands at the beginning of the 3-5 game in the first set.

I thought Bottle might particularly enjoy it.

don

I find the shot fascinating. It's like he is trying creating an extra steel-like post to hit off. He gets down to it beautifully.
            Stotty

Comment

He does not lift his hitting foot like fed does, so he stays more grounded and stable, which makes along with his bigger coil, a better shot.

I am calling him to win the french by a long shot guess. Wishful thinking. Nadal will probably draw him and get revenge, but I can hope.

Comment

I hit some Wawrinka back hands today. Huge coils, bent knee, full ripping shots. Heavy balls. The L-tec string I am using favors big cuts. Fun at cal edwards stadium. Peter Wright was there teaching his son how to serve.

Comment

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...anceFront1.mov

Wapow!!! I am going to hit some tomorrow.

Comment

yes wapow sums that one up.

Comment

It's a gorgeous shot no doubt. The deep turn, the racquet head set up, tip pointing vertical, then an acceleration into that ball. It's got the pace and spin to remind you of most players forehands. In fact, it's although Wawrinka has two forehands. This one-handed backhand has certainly brought the shot back to life in the mind of fans, players and coaches. And that's a great thing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

So much better than Fed's bh. His hitting foot has so much more weight/ground on it than fed does, as Fed lifts his heel up way too soon, and degrounds himself. A sure sign of lack of confidence.

That's 59.4/55lbs with rpm blast.

EVen though he runs around his bh, the winners he hits are often balanced, while hitting way fewer bhs, than fhs.
                        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 04-24-2014, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Geoff,

Taking notice to Wawrinka's string set up. RPM Blast at 59.5lbs/55lbs at 16 gauge. For his Yonex frame and game, is that what you would recommend? Probably lower for the clay season no?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                            Geoff,

Taking notice to Wawrinka's string set up. RPM Blast at 59.5lbs/55lbs at 16 gauge. For his Yonex frame and game, is that what you would recommend? Probably lower for the clay season no?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Btw, do you know why so many pros lower their tension on their crosses by 4-5lbs? That allows for less tension on the mains, allowing for more snap back, less friction stopping snap back, but you don't want too much, or the ball will leave the bed before the string tells it to. That timing is what feel is all about.

That string loses tension fast, esp. for big (god like hitters). It's only good for 20 minutes, and its nubs wear off in that time as well, so the spin effect goes away once they do, and spin is king on clay. I don't advocate lowering tension on clay. (Look what that did for Sampras.) He only made one french semi, at the age of 20 or so. As far as his frame, I'd prefer him to use a 98 sq. in. frame, 18/20, ra of 65, 22mm beam width, mass of 365g. The yonex v core specs:

98 sq. in. / 632.26 sq. cm.
                            Length: 27in / 68.58cm
                            Strung Weight: 11.3oz / 320.35g Not his
                            Balance: 6 pts HL
                            Swingweight: 309 Not his.
                            Stiffness: 65
                            Beam Width: 22.5mm / 22.5mm / 22mm /
                            Composition: H.M. Graphite / X-Fullerene
                            Power Level: Low-Medium
                            Stroke Style: Full
                            Swing Speed: Fast
                            Racquet Colors:
                            Red / White / Black
                            Grip Type: Yonex Synthetic Grip
                            String Pattern:
                            16 Mains / 20 Crosses
                            Mains skip: 8T, 8H
                            Two Pieces
                            No Shared Holes
                            String Tension: 50-65 pounds

So he's pretty close to what I'd recommend. I called fed's change months before he made it, while Annacone was outwardly saying that people recommending fed to switch to a larger frame, higher tension didn't know what they were talking about! See my thread here: Hey, federer-er-er, adapt or die!

Waw's bh is an argument for the one hander being more viable than the two hander. Too many people believe, that due to the extra strength needed for high bh shots, on the deltoids, that it's not viable. I call him to be #1 at the end of the year, and to win the french.
                            Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 04-24-2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                              Waw's bh is an argument for the one hander being more viable than the two hander. Too many people believe, that due to the extra strength needed for high bh shots, on the deltoids, that it's not viable. I call him to be #1 at the end of the year, and to win the french.
                              I hope he will be #1 and win the French.

I have a one hander as well and I have never felt overpowered by a two hander. In fact, I felt that it gave me a movement advantage over most two handers that I have faced.

That being said it takes a kid and parents with thick skin to develop a one hander. It is just so hard for them when they are short and weak. But, they get the chance to develop other intangibles that two handers don't.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7863 users online. 9 members and 7854 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X