Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head looking up before tossing on serve...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head looking up before tossing on serve...

I noticed that Pancho Gonzales (my model for the serve), starts looking up where he wants to toss the ball prior to initiating the ball toss. I have tried it out, and found that for me it improves the quality of the ball toss on the serve. Not sure if this is mentioned anywhere in any article here...

Not sure if its mentioned specifically in any article here on the site, but check out the stroke archives and you'll see its quite common.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Yes Kyle, and I feel that it is an important factor for a good toss. Also keeps the head stable... I noticed that I wasn't doing it, and am exaggerating it with good results...
      Last edited by gzhpcu; 05-01-2014, 10:25 AM. Reason: mistakenly said "not exaggerating"

Comment

Phil do you mean before serving...before the server does a single thing? Or do you mean during the ball toss action action is when Pancho looks up? If you mean the latter, all top players do this?

Before commencing the motion, the server should look at where he wants to serve to get a sense of direction. Once he commences the action, the server should only look at the ball again when it is about to be released.

A common mistake with juniors is they look at the ball from start to finish of the serving process, making it a myopic process...big mistake.
        Stotty

Comment

This is what I mean...
          Not only looking up during the toss, but first looking up then tossing...

Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-30-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

No comments? What I am stating is that I noticed a marked improvement in my ball toss by starting by looking up at the impact point for the serve before initiating the toss as opposed to during the toss.

Comment

Don't think there are any comments Phil because we all agree and the visual evidence is there in the stroke archive. I will say that for beginning and intermediate players this tip can help them dramatically if they actually can get over the preconceived notions of "always watching the ball" during the tossing arm lifting phase.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Last edited by klacr; 05-10-2014, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Phil,

Here is what I think may be an exaggerated example of what you are talking about. Caroline Garcia serve. A great example starts at the 50 second mark.
                enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0KNVTvR45Y

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Thank you Kyle!

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Phil,

Here is what I think may be an exaggerated example of what you are talking about. Caroline Garcia serve. A great example starts at the 50 second mark.
                    enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0KNVTvR45Y

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    I'm not keen on what happens at the 50 second mark. What's that about? You're taking your eye off the opponent too early. Where's the benefit?
                    Stotty

Comment

Stotty,

what Phil was referring to was looking up at location of toss before the ball reaches it. The video I posted shows an extreme example. A bit too extreme for my personal taste. When I say a great example it was in reference to the hyperbole that was the motion. Rarely do you get a chance to see it that pronounced, a visual example of what Phil was talking about.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

That's exactly it Kyle. Sure works for me...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7654 users online. 4 members and 7650 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X