Interactive Forum June 2014: Dominic Thiem Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    But isn't it also a question of ground force? Doesn't leaning into the stroke result in more groundforce? (Disregarding the serve where the motion is to hit upwards...). You need groundforce to generate torsion. This is not stepping into the ball, it is shifting weight forward at impact like a corkscrew tilted forwards.
    But linear momentum (movement of COM in a straight line) can be expressed in any direction. For instance, the act of stepping back, loading the right leg and pushing up (inducing ground reaction force) increases, and is a catalyst for, angular momentum. It's not just a "forward thing". And I believe this understanding is significant for adult players. I try to establish very early, movement skills in All directions...with an emphasis on right foot alignment and an ability to ALWAYS rotate on the ball regardless of stance choice.

But again, the big player is rotation/angular. One can crush the ball without stepping in, or pushing up significantly, provided they align to the ball properly and turn on it.
    Last edited by 10splayer; 06-08-2014, 04:28 AM.

Comment

I won't try to get into the science of it.

It's obvious that at the top level the semi open stance like Dominic uses predominates because it facilitates the rotation and also the upward explosion because the ball is so high.

This is what is creating (along with the rotation of the hitting arm) the racket head speed to hit 90mph with 3000rpm. In addition with the extreme grips this stance seems to be a requirement for getting the racket head all the way through the swing.

There is nothing wrong with neutral stance and I find that many players need it to complete the full turn. Players with turn problems usually straighten them out with a few neutral stance shots. Players who think they are playing like pros with wide open stances especially need this because even pros tend to have less turn fully open.

The front leg knee bend I believe can also be a contributor in a neutral stance. In addition it is very helpful in learning to hit with extension outward and not coming across too much too soon or back too soon.

It does tend to limit the forward rotation of the body unless the front foot comes off the ground. Interestingly also I have found many club players don't have the flexibility to rotate even 90 degrees through the forward swing with a neutral stance.

So at the pro level the racket speed required heavily favors semi-open. At the club level with a fairly conservative grip a neutral stance can have advantages but a semi-open is going to work as well or better for many players.

Comment

???????

Interesting, Thiem is a 1993, and Grigor Dimitriev is a 1991.

Athletically and technically it ain't even close - Grigor Dimitrov is superior by a wide mile in every aspect of the game.

His feet look so bad in this video (Thiem). And, everything for him to me looks like it's a massive effort. He looks awful in that video.

However, here's an example of a guy who isn't a practice player (Grigor is the epitome of a practice player).

Despite his lack of speed, average quickness, feet always being way to close together he's terrific on the backhand, and he understands how to play the game of tennis, and looks good where it matters, the game (Thiem).

Guys like this can go a long way, and he's really going to have to work hard to overcome his athletic limits. The guys not naturally fast, however, that may help his development in the long term by forcing him to process and understand the game faster.

Don't think I will be studying this guy to much, however, his tennis game sense will likely take him a lot further than many others with better technique, smarter racket heads and more power.

Yesterday match with Maria Sharapova winning is a perfect example of how talent isn't a huge factor in the end equation of winning.

Sharapova is not the most talented, she does not move well, she's slow, her strokes aren't even close to being the best on the pro tour with these long shoulder buckling swings, however, she is big, strong, aggressive, tough, always trying to keep her feet moving, always engaged, 110 percent concentrated and she finds way matches no matter what! It might not look pretty, however, she finds a way to get it done.

That girl worked her ass off to make up for her lack of precocious talent!

You know, talented kids really worry me because they often do not know how to win the hard way, and most ATP and WTA tournaments need to be won the hard way as it's impossible to be on form with how much the body breaks down on the tour day in and day out.
        Last edited by hockeyscout; 06-08-2014, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Chicken wings...

Nice clips. I haven't seen him play all that much yet. I hope he progresses as much as everyone says he might.

He really lifts those elbows up as he commences the shot. We call elbows that lift up like that "chicken wings" over here.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about lifting the elbows like that...the benefits...or any negative effects?
          Last edited by stotty; 06-08-2014, 01:44 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

I find this discussion interesting, and (naturally) have my own opinions on this as it relates to footwork. But i would like to hear more of yours.

Here is what i see. A player simply rotating about different axis. Weight shift, or the movement of center of mass (which helps determine the axis) is always shifting around based on many factors. All i see Thiem doing is "going with the ball". The first ball forces him to move left slightly (to create proper lateral postion) and his transfer is a reflection of that. He shifts his weight to the left side and rotates around that more forward axis.

On the second ball, he steps back and rotates around an axis that is predominately over his right leg. In fact, he picks up his left leg.

Is this wrong for him to do? Moreover, what would happen if he tried to force a forward, neutral stance forehand..

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
              I find this discussion interesting, and (naturally) have my own opinions on this as it relates to footwork. But i would like to hear more of yours.

Here is what i see. A player simply rotating about different axis. Weight shift, or the movement of center of mass (which helps determine the axis) is always shifting around based on many factors. All i see Thiem doing is "going with the ball". The first ball forces him to move left slightly (to create proper lateral postion) and his transfer is a reflection of that. He shifts his weight to the left side and rotates around that more forward axis.

On the second ball, he steps back and rotates around an axis that is predominately over his right leg. In fact, he picks up his left leg.

Is this wrong for him to do? Moreover, what would happen if he tried to force a forward, neutral stance forehand..
              It certainly doesn't look wrong. A lot of pro's can be seen doing the same thing they hit really powerful shots doing just this. Oscar Wegner claims when a player drives in to a ball and hits himself backwards it creates more power. This kind of physics is beyond me but there would certainly seem to be something in it. Nadal drives himself backwards on his forehand a lot.

One imagines that wherever the centre of axis is located, it's maintained somehow through the back, the spine. Just my guess, no evidence.

You would think a neutral stance on the second ball would stop him rotating...block his rotation.

I find this kind of conundrum perplexing so it would be great to get the views of others on 10splayer's post.
              Stotty

Comment

from worldsbesttenniscoach to 10splayer (johnyandell in between)...connecting dots

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post

...WBTC spoke of staying behind the ball. Staying behind the ball will force you to rotate your shoulders around your spine if you are going to make any meaningful impact on the ball.

If you are a 10splayer or a golfplayer you understand that if you want to hit the ball harder...you turn your shoulders more. In tennis there is some natural lateral movement in the footwork in transferring the weight to the front foot due to the fact that the ball is approaching you. But it is the synchronistic effect of that movement with the rotation from the feet up and through the shoulders...around the spine...that gives exponential power to the swing...most easily perceived in the backhand swing. But this motion is the foundation of every swing in the book (which is Tilden) from the biggest booming serve to the daintiest of drop or touch shots.

In golf...you will tell a student that if they want to hit the ball longer (read harder)...you must only turn the shoulders more as opposed to "swinging harder". The bigger turn creates more potential energy in the setup.

As for Dominic Theim...he can certainly pound it. He needs a little seasoning on the tour. Make no mistake...keep an eye on this young man. He has an aura about him. He has attitude...yet he is also well within himself. Once he learns to let the game come to him...ala Federer or Djokovic he is going to be a force to deal with. Perhaps an ideal temperament to go along with his ideal size for a tennis player.
                Last edited by don_budge; 06-10-2014, 09:14 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

What we are seeing here with the legs is common and there are many varieties as David Bailey's articles show.

The game is being played in the air with one or both foot off the court to allow for the increased body rotation in Dominic's swing as well as all the other top players.

Basically the ball is too high for neutral stance in the vast majority of cases, and neutral stance blocks the body rotation as well.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3380 users online. 8 members and 3372 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X