Mental Imagery: Synthesizing the Physical and Mental Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Imagery: Synthesizing the Physical and Mental Games

Would love to hear your thoughts on "Mental Imagery: Synthesizing the Physical and Mental Games"

I agree with you 100%. This type of thinking is what got me interested in TennisPlayer.net in the first place: when I read your "Visual Tennis" book. Visualizing and feeling are essential. Trying to reproduce a feeling when you hit your strokes. Watching matches between good players. I always play better the next day after having seen good matches on TV. When there is a player with a style I particularly like, I often just focusing on watching him instead of the the exchanges.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
      I agree with you 100%. This type of thinking is what got me interested in TennisPlayer.net in the first place: when I read your "Visual Tennis" book. Visualizing and feeling are essential. Trying to reproduce a feeling when you hit your strokes. Watching matches between good players. I always play better the next day after having seen good matches on TV. When there is a player with a style I particularly like, I often just focusing on watching him instead of the the exchanges.
      These are my thoughts as well Phil. It is this idea and article that attracted me to John's work. The power of visualization and creating checkpoints is critical to understanding and feeling the proper fundamentals in your stroke but also in your game as a whole. Great article.

I always tell my students to close their eyes, take a few practice swings and get a sense for the weight and location of the racquet and movement of the body. They always get a kick out of this because it's something they've never done before but also because they find out it works. Awesome article John. This is what tennisplayer.net is all about.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

It helps to place a small piece, on both sides of the string bed, in the sweet spot (where your string cross notches are deepest) so that the tape is adhered to itself through the string bed: Why? So you can hear the noise the tape makes when struck. Focus on the middle of the ball striking that small piece of tape. Feel it before it happens. Feel is what the game is all about during match play. Feel the middle of the ball striking the small strip of tape.

Comment

In addition, I find it helps to put a piece of bright yellow tape across the top of the racket to make one aware of its postion.

Comment

It helps to place a small piece, on both sides of the string bed, in the sweet spot (where your string cross notches are deepest) so that the tape is adhered to itself through the string bed: Why? So you can hear the noise the tape makes when struck. Focus on the middle of the ball striking that small piece of tape. Feel it before it happens. Feel is what the game is all about during match play. Feel the middle of the ball striking the small strip of tape.

Geoff, can you make a picture of this so I get exactly what you mean?

Comment

Good article.

Interesting about Gonzales and his pre visualisation routines. It's known throughout all sports that top competitors not only visualise but fantasise about winning and succeeding.

What fascinates me is how doubt creeps in. I'm sure Nadal visualises himself beating Djokovic. But sometimes when they it looks like he's bluffing himself. In some of their matches you can see doubt, fear and uncertainty start to take over Nadal's facial expression. It's never with anyone else, just Djokovic.

It's the psychological contest I am most looking forward to in their 2014 French Open final.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post

Geoff, can you make a picture of this so I get exactly what you mean?
                The tape can be either axis, with crosses, or with mains, and should be no longer than a few inches, regular electrical tape. The focus is on striking the ball in the middle of its diameter, exactly on the small piece of tape, placing the tape at strike point right on the center of the ball. You know when you've hit it as it makes a slapping dull sound. All juniors should be using this drill technique.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                  The tape can be either axis, with crosses, or with mains, and should be no longer than a few inches, regular electrical tape. The focus is on striking the ball in the middle of its diameter, exactly on the small piece of tape, placing the tape at strike point right on the center of the ball. You know when you've hit it as it makes a slapping dull sound. All juniors should be using this drill technique.
                  Like a PHOTO please? Sounds revolutionary.

Comment

It is good to see you update your thoughts. It's a thread that goes back to your book Visual Tennis. That seemed like a revelation that would spread like the multitudes that have copied Jim Loehr. It's interesting that no one seems to ask or answer the question of what you should actually do with your mind during points.

Comment

captnemo...

Originally posted by captnemo View Post
                      It is good to see you update your thoughts. It's a thread that goes back to your book Visual Tennis. That seemed like a revelation that would spread like the multitudes that have copied Jim Loehr. It's interesting that no one seems to ask or answer the question of what you should actually do with your mind during points.
                      Question...What should you do with your mind during points?
                      don_budge
                      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                        Turn it off and go autopilot...

Comment

The Blank Mind...

Turn it off and go autopilot...
                          What a mistake that would be...
                          don_budge

Comment

What a mistake that would be...
                            Course you could go on thinking and screw yourself up...

Comment

Ok...captnemo?

Course you could go on thinking and screw yourself up...
                              Ok...I get the picture. Or rather the blank screen.

captnemo?
                              Last edited by don_budge; 06-14-2014, 11:34 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9906 users online. 7 members and 9899 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X