X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roscoe Tanner Redux...

http://www.arielnet.com/videos/show/...-roscoe-tanner

Thoughts on Vic Braden's comments? Thanks

Fastest body motion ever. Could not pay child support so he got thrown into jail over it. Makes all other serve motions seem slow, including Ivanisevic.

Comment

His back foot was not on the force plate. Only his front foot. Force plate needs to be bigger.

Great serve though. Legal and personal troubles aside, in which there are many.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

FYI...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/sp...anted=all&_r=0

But yeah, that serve was a rocket.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

I'm dealing with a check bouncer right now. Misery you cannot imagine, so I hope Tanner will pay for all the misery he has caused. Hey, tanner, there's a place in hell for you waiting calmly.

It's called: Narcissistic tennis pro corner of hell. Peter Pearson will be joining you.

Police arrested a man at the Pacific Inn on Wednesday who they say robbed five South Bay banks in recent weeks, three of them in Mountain View — and at least in one case using a taxi cab as a getaway car.

Maybe this says something about not joining the pro tour unless you can get a job elsewhere. For all you delusional tennis pros out there: stay in school. But what would the world be like without them?
          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-10-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I am just talking about his serve, not his morals...

Comment

Looking at some YouTube videos from 1979 Borg-Tanner, I see that he lifts off (not much))with both feet at impact and lands with his right foot.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                Looking at some YouTube videos from 1979 Borg-Tanner, I see that he lifts off (not much))with both feet at impact and lands with his right foot.
                That's more the norm, isn't it?
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  I am just talking about his serve, not his morals...
                  Why are athletes morals so often ignored in the conversation? Extremely common for them to get a bye or morality, ie, : Tilden's pederasty.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                    Why are athletes morals so often ignored in the conversation? Extremely common for them to get a bye or morality, ie, : Tilden's pederasty.
                    Simply because it has nothing to do with discussing their style of tennis.

Comment

Feeling about this service motion. It's quick, natural (for Tanner) and myself. I have a tendency to try to hit that ball at its peak or just before. The habit started simply because of my lack of patience to toss it and wait for it.

Vic Braden saw my serve and liked it. For whatever that is worth. (BTW, if any of you meet me in person, remind me to tell you of my Vic Braden story when I had to pick him up at an airport in Grand Rapids )

It's changed a little since my college days then. Yes Phil, I promise I'll get you a video of it and the rest of my strokes sometime this summer.

Back to Tanner's motion, the biggest thing I see is that arm action. The arm accelerates very quickly at the start. Unfortunately, due to quick action and toss he doesn't have the time to get those legs into it. One of the issues I felt I was having with my lower toss.

One issue I don't enjoy is that lateral pinpoint stance. He brings that left foot up next to his right foot so they are parallel across the baseline. I'd prefer to see that left foot back and step up directly behind the right foot.

Knock on wood, I have never suffered a major or nagging injury from tennis that has caused me to miss a significant amount of time or cease to play. Many players I have talked to that have a quick low toss motion like Tanner's have complained of shoulder issues. I never have. Shoulder in great condition and I also think I have just the right amount of speed in my twitch to accomplish this. I don't think many people do.

When I'm with my students, this is not a serve that I would teach as I feel too much can go wrong or could be left out. It's just a unique quality that Tanner and a few others have. Most students simply will not have this ability. In all fairness, the same argument could be said for teaching the Sampras or maybe even Edberg serve. That rotation and torque on the body those guys have is not what you find in your weekend warrior. Many great technical components in a Sampras serve, but lets be honest, no one will ever duplicate the Sampras serve. Just like we may never see someone duplicate the Tanner serve.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Kyle,
                        Look at this video from Tanner-Borg US Open 1979:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isGinlt3iEw

Seems to me like he brings his left foot up behind his right foot...

P.S. I have Vic's book "Tennis 2000" where he recommends the low toss. Like his book...

Comment

BTW: Redux because I started this thread many moons ago...

http://www.tennisplayer.net/bulletin...=roscoe+tanner

Comment

Phil, take a look a the front view video of Tanner's serve from that original thread. Looks to me like that left foot is on the side, not behind. May have to agree to disagree.

It is a great motion, but only for Tanner and the other select few that can physically execute this.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Kyle, the difference is that he is at least 10 years older and not at his prime in the video you mean... Looking at these old photos, I have the impression his left foot was originally back on the pinpoint stance... What do you think?

Last edited by gzhpcu; 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9814 users online. 7 members and 9807 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X