The benefit of the WTA and ATP ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The benefit of the WTA and ATP ...

I am very curious about something, what is the benefit of being in the WTA or the ATP.

It amazes me tennis isn't set up in the same manner as the NFL, NBA or NHL.

Why is their no "Super League."

How hard would it be to jet the top 20 players around the world, set up training facilities, hire coaches, trainers, support staff so top players can focus on being great tennis players, and entertaining fans.

Do players like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Murray, Berdych, Ferrer, Del Potro, Raonic, Gulbis, Isner, Nishikori, Dimitrov, Gasquet, Fognin, Youzhny, Tsonga, Dolgopolov and Monfils really need the ATP Tour?

I've got to wonder, why would the players not want to control their own league, money, payouts, TV, advertising, merchandising, awards etc.

It blows me away when I read players cannot go to tournaments and request top dollar for showing up.

I have no issue with say Steffie Graf's attitude, hey, give me a million dollars appearance fee or I do not show up. Why should this be outlawed? Don't players have the right to make a wage based on what people think their actual worth is as an athlete?

It also shocks me players aren't in control of prize money, and have a 100 percent say in what is happening with the product, game etc.

I read somewhere plays have a 50% vote, and officials have a 50% vote.

Don't you all think that is kind of ridiculous?
    Last edited by hockeyscout; 06-15-2014, 12:54 PM.

Actually I find the top players are earning more than enough, and that as Andy Murray suggested, the prize money pyramid should be flatter, so that lower ranked players get more money. A friend of mine, a Spanish ATP player had to stop competing at the age of 21 because he could not cover his traveling expenses, and he was ranked close to 100.

Comment

Exactly ...

That's a big issue. In what other pro sport does a top 100 player in the sport need to pay his way when he is at the top, chase sponsors and pay out his own pocket. Top 100, that's like managing three NHL hockey teams or two NFL football teams. So, what is the ATP and WTA really doing for tennis that players couldn't do themselves?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9099 users online. 8 members and 9091 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X