Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

String tension loss: Question for Geoff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String tension loss: Question for Geoff...

Geoff, do you have an approximate curve for tension loss on strings? Say, 55 lbs tension, playing 4 hours a week. I guess initially the first couple of days the biggest loss occurs. But how does it develop over time (after a month or two)? Thanks in advance, Phil

Copoly strings....
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 06-25-2014, 11:51 AM.

The curve is worst at first day after stringing and first hitting session and then:

That depends on RA (stiffness and stiffer frames have faster tension loss, as do longer frames), eleongation specs on your string, http://www.protennis.us/US%20Open%20...20Analysis.pdf stringing by pros
    soderling metal rod
    delpotro frame
    feds frame
    jokers lead tape

how hard you hit, (harder hitters lose tension very fast) string you are using (gut is best for tension loss, and some copolys are better such as sppp, bhb7, tier1 firewire, humidity, heat, time strings are exposed in the sun, how often you hit, string tension, type of spin you hit, string pattern, lay up of frame. First 24 hrs. after stringing, and first hitting session, will develop the greatest tension loss:ie, gut is best at about 10%, and kevlar is worst at 30%.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-25-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks Geoff! I am trying out an iPhone app called "RacquetTune" which measures string tension audibly. See here: http://www.appmaker.se/index.php?m=4&s=0

Tried it out on my Babolat Aeropro Drive rackets. Both were strung with 55 lbs. They are now (based on app measurement) about 38 lbs. I hit hard, play three times a week (an hour each time) and strung the rackets about 4 months ago.

Comment

I'd say they would be about 36-38lbs. Time to cut them out. Use that app to test them right after you string them, and then chart how long they take to drop and farther in, when you start to go long and lose feel on shots. A little app notebook in your bag. If you like spin strings, try the tier1 firewire. http://www.tieronesports-usa.com/ten...wire-sets.html I like it with L-tec Os or 4S mains. That apd has a stiffness of about 69; http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babo...BAB-APD13.html and an open 16 x 19 pattern. But it increases when strung tight by about 2-3 ra. 55lbs strung would be about a 71 ra.
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-26-2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks Geoff.

Comment

My string is luxilon alupower rough...

Comment

Unbelievable. Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                That's what I said it was. Alu power rough. Not good for tension loss. It takes me 1/2 hr. to loosen it.
                Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-27-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Geoff, I played with a friend of mine, an ex-ATP pro, who said he uses Babolat RPM when he teaches because it loses very little of the original stringing tension. What do you think? Thanks

Comment

Rpm blast feels soft but is listed as stiff. Not a good string for tension loss. The nubs also wear down fast, and so the spin goes. Try T1 firewire instead.

http://www.stringforum.net/strings.p...r=4143&count=1 Tests show that rpm is one of the worst ten/ loss, and T1 is one of the best.

71% satisfied vs. 100% for T1 fw. That says something.
                    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-29-2014, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks Geoff!

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                        I play with the same string. Love the stuff. I take tension loss into account and string my Head Prestige Classics (Customized) 13oz+ at 58lbs, knowing its going to drop fast. Lots of players and coaches ask me about arm, elbow and shoulder problems from this string and from the battle ax of a frame but I've never had any issues or injuries. Knock on wood.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton
                        Attached Files

Comment

Did you try the pt57a?

Comment

Prototypes...?

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                            I play with the same string. Love the stuff. I take tension loss into account and string my Head Prestige Classics (Customized) 13oz+ at 58lbs, knowing its going to drop fast. Lots of players and coaches ask me about arm, elbow and shoulder problems from this string and from the battle ax of a frame but I've never had any issues or injuries. Knock on wood.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            Are those frames what you call "prototypes"?
                            don_budge
                            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                              Did you try the pt57a?
                              Yes! I did. Solid frame. Will be getting 2 in October.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8154 users online. 6 members and 8148 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X