Robert Lansdorp...in his own words.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Lansdorp...in his own words.

You don't have to be a great player to be a great coach...but perhaps you must be an accomplished player.

Robert Lansdorp in his own words...number one at Pepperdine in singles and doubles. All-American. Before the time of 4.5 and 5.0 ratings. Men's singles. Wood vs. wood. Real tennis. Tough guy? Maybe...could have something to do with environment. Tough talk? Sure...why not. If you can't take it...don't apply.

My kind of guy. Flat hard groundies...leaving it open to advance to the net. Backcourt players too. Tennis is an individual game and everyone is different. Fit your student into their game, into the game...not necessarily into your game. Fundamentals.

1. Consistency
    2. Placement
    3. Power

In that order...sound familiar. What is power? Answer...control.
    Last edited by don_budge; 06-28-2014, 01:53 AM. Reason: for rosa's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Interview with Robert Lansdorp...

Robert Lansdorp interview. No funny business. No beating around the bush. Brass tacks. What you see is what you get. No flim flam man. No snake oil salesman. Just a down to earth...salt of the earth guy teaching tennis. A bit out of the Harry Hopman school of thought...don't you think so?
    Premium domains add authority to your site. Transparent pricing. 1 year WHOIS privacy included. 30-day money back guarantee.

I would like to recommend "ABC TENNIS" to hockeyscout...for coaching children ages 7-14.

Last edited by don_budge; 06-28-2014, 05:56 AM. Reason: for rosa's sake...
    don_budge

Comment

More Robert Lansdorp...

More from Robert "Don't call me Bob" Lansdorp. Gruff exterior belies the heart of gold.

don_budge

Comment

Robert Lansdorp on tennisplayer.net

Great library of Robert Lansdorp under famous coaches...a kindred coaching spirit.

Robert Lansdorp Interviews

The State of American Junior Development
        The 1 Hand versus the 2 Hand Backhand
        The Academy Ball and the Pro Drive
        How I Developed My "Reputation"
        How Are Champions Developed?
        On Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal

Robert Lansdorp

The Champion's Mind
        The Reverse Forehand Revisited
        Creating American Champions
        The Developmental Process
        The Lansdorp Forehand
        The Reverse Forehand
        The Lansdorp One-Handed Backhand
        The Lansdorp Two-Handed Backhand
        Discipline
        The Three Forehand Finishes

Last edited by don_budge; 06-28-2014, 02:36 AM. Reason: for rosa's sake...
        don_budge

Comment

don_budge

Hello:

Anyone who has ever read this board is well aware I have been a fan of Robert's work, and in fact I even linked to one of his articles last week and stated how useful it was to us last week.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            I would like to recommend "ABC TENNIS" to hockeyscout...for coaching children ages 7-14.
            I can't recall ever meeting a condescending smart ass coach in hockey like you ever don_budge.

I think you know why!

What makes you think I am going to take your shit?

You had one chance to recommend reading to me, and you lost me when you said about 10 times you wanted me to read a book written by a snake oil salesman who raped little boys. Tilden.
            Last edited by hockeyscout; 06-28-2014, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Yes, he did, and no pass should be given to pedophile rapists, no matter how good they were, period.

My whole point was you don't have to be a great player to be a great coach. You don't have to be a great person either. Tough guys win in this game, and so do tough coaches as R.L has proven, you don't have to bow to tennis parents or bratty kids.
              Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-28-2014, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Last edited by hockeyscout; 06-28-2014, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Comment

Understanding...

Calm down guys this could be a really interesting thread.

An accomplished player...what is that? The benchmark for "accomplished" moves depending on who you speak to. In my experience, most think the benchmark starts with their own standard, rarely lower.

Perhaps we might be better to view how well a coach understands the game. John Lloyd, who was coached by Bob Brett, said he knew Bob had never been a good player, but was really impressed with his understanding of tennis, which was greater than his own. John Lloyd said a coach cannot "blag it" (not sure you have this expression in the US) at top level, as a blagger soon gets found out.

Understanding is key. And if you are not a great player and never have been, the challenge is how to get your understanding across so players will respect you...not easy but some have managed it.
                    Stotty

Comment

ABC Tennis...for coaching children 7-14

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                      I can't recall ever meeting a condescending smart ass coach in hockey like you ever don_budge.

I think you know why!

What makes you think I am going to take your shit?

You had one chance to recommend reading to me, and you lost me when you said about 10 times you wanted me to read a book written by a snake oil salesman who raped little boys. Tilden.
                      You cannot be serious hockeyscout...I thought that you had an eight year old daughter. It was a legitimate referral.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 06-28-2014, 08:51 AM.
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                        You cannot be serious hockeyscout...I thought that you had an eight year old daughter. It was a legitimate referral.
                        Thanks so much, you're a game changer don_budge.

Comment

Gentlemen be polite. Everyone has had their say about Tilden and there is no reason to make any of this personal. Understood?

Comment

Mentioning his 8yr. old daughter as a non target for molestation is low. That's tw low.

Comment

OK you guys if you have anything else to say make it private message or just go out in the backyard and talk to the universe.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7662 users online. 5 members and 7657 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X