Interactive Forum July 2014: Ernests Gulbis Backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by privas View Post
    I appreciate the beauty and simplicity of the two-hander, specifically the straight take-back of Agassi and Gulbis, as noted in these videos.

I don't see the point of stressing the Macci "racquet above the hands" on the two-handed backhand, as you would on the one-handed backhand. Unless, of course, the ball is bouncing really high! To do this only introduces timing errors and does nothing else. Unlike the one-handed backhand or the one-handed forehand, the two-handed backhand doesn't require the recruitment of gravity to generate racquet head speed. The extra arm does it, all by itself.

"Racquet above the hands" only leads to more tennis lessons, more frustration, more timing errors, more balls into the net (like the one-handed backhand, Thanks to Mr Federer in Toronto!) and more difficulty in teaching this stroke to juniors. The Gulbis weapon deconstructed is wonderful teaching tool. Simple.
    I see the racquet above the hands....There are two elements working here..The racquet head path, and the hand path. When speaking of the necessity of a loop, a distinction needs to be made between the two.
    Last edited by 10splayer; 08-12-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7701 users online. 5 members and 7696 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X