Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff Williams stringing

Hey Geoff,
    I have a question for you. I have a friend that is trying to make a comeback on the WTA, just the small futures tournaments. She is a hard flat hitter and switched to a bigger racquet. Her new racquet is Ezone AI 98 from Yonex. She is feeling like the ball is flying. She has started stringing at 60/58 with Babolet gut mains and Lux gold crosses. The tighter strings have helped but is wondering if she should try something else. Different strings? tighter?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

Specs:

Head Size:
    98 sq. in. / 632.26 sq. cm.
    Length: 27in / 68.58cm
    Strung Weight: 11.5oz / 326.02g
    Balance: 12.85in / 32.64cm / 5 pts HL
    Swingweight: 322
    Stiffness: 63
    Beam Width: 23mm / 24mm / 19.5mm /
    Composition: H.M. Graphite
    Power Level: Low-Medium
    Stroke Style: Medium-Full
    Swing Speed: Fast
    Racquet Colors:
    Black/ Lime
    Grip Type: Yonex Synthetic
    String Pattern:
    16 Mains / 19 Crosses
    Mains skip: 8T 8H
    Two Pieces
    No Shared Holes
    String Tension: 45-60 pounds

You mean luxilon 4s rough 1.25mm as cross? That is a good hybrid and the tension is good, but if she is going long, the gut is trampolinging too much, and she needs a spin string, as any 16 x 19 will benefit from, such as: T1 firewire http://www.tieronesports-usa.com/ten...wire-sets.html as main, a copoly triangular string with good tension maintenance, and a cross like L-tec Os or 4s, not lux. gold. EVen alu power is better than gold as a cross. For more power, poly star energy crosses. Have her try all four crosses; with the firewire; poly star, lux gold, Os and 4s, as any top player will break those mains fast. One string job will show her the difference in feel is crucial and stay with the same tension for all to provide a controlled feel. Also crucial to increase perimeter string tensions for better tension loss, ie, last two mains, and last three crosses.

I predict she will prefer the more powerful cross: poly star with T1. Poly star has tension main. issues, but with the techniques I described, will last longer. That hybrid needs 1/2 hr. hitting hard to settle it. Enjoy!

Btw, I'd also silicone the handle with 20g of soft clear, and use lead tape around the hoop for more plow through as the flat hitters prefer that.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-18-2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks Geoff.

Comment

This main is also world class at slice production T1 firewire 1.20mm. Have her work on her slices with it. http://www.stringforum.net/ratings.p...4966&fstatus=0
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-31-2014, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Strings

She increased the tension to 61/59 and made sure the stringer was pre stretching the gut. It is working and we will try some different strings in the off season.

Thanks for your ideas Geoff.

Comment

GAme changing string set up will be T1 1.20mm/poly star energy, strung a few lbs less than normal, about 57/55. Figure 1hr. for break in.
            Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-31-2014, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8344 users online. 5 members and 8339 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X