Wimbledon 2014...some observations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wimbledon 2014...some observations.

I spent much time this Wimbledon walking around the outside courts trying to assess where the future of the game is going. I decided to do this by paying close attention to the younger players, those in their early twenties. I made a point of casting aside any preconceived ideas picked up from other coaches and friends. I even cast aside Tennisplayer. Better to be a disciple of no one as being a disciple comes with the risk of being as blind as a bat.

The first thing I noticed was RPMs...or rather the lack of them. Despite much hype and discussion about poly strings and the increased use of spin in the game, I actually found many players were hitting quite flat.

Many players weren't using much spin at all. Many players are hitting their two-handed backhands with just a modicum of spin or even flat. Many players weren't hitting heavy topspin forehands either...moderate topspin was mostly applied. Sure, Nadal and a section players were using hefty amounts of RPMs but they certainly didn't represent the majority on the day.

One thing that really stood out is that younger players are taking bigger cuts at the ball than ever. Some of the bigger juniors could hit as hard as the men.

Coach dependency was very high on the day. Glances back to coaches and entourages happens all the time. Sign language between players and coaches is very common. The Slavic coaches seem to be coaching from the sidelines.

Another very noticeable thing is younger players rarely use serve and volley in doubles, and there were countless matches where all four players served and stayed back throughout the entire match. I found that amazing.

The standard of doubles was very low this year. It was amazing to see so many players serving and hitting ground shots so well yet have so little idea where to stand, how command the net, or how to execute good doubles play, period. I found the doubles matches hard to watch.

Younger players generally looked fine when volleying in practice but in matches showed a distinct lack of ability and confidence to deal with volleys below the height of the net. All were lost in this department. I could see them visibly panic when dealing with volleys other than put aways. The panic arises out of simply not knowing what to do...that's very visible too. But it's the low volley that's the problem. Not one player could play or deal with low volleys well, not one.

A couple of the older players did come to net at times. The problem these volleyers had was not so much dealing with spin as getting from A to B fast enough to be in a balanced position. The ball was being struck so consistently hard the volleyer simply couldn't make the ground up at times to be where he had to be. He often couldn't get close enough to the net, which is crucial. But the situation was also a catch 22. We are in an era where volleys need to be seriously penetrating and placed if they are to do their job. Instead volley skills are in decline and this is very evident. This is a big problem and it's hard to know how to resuscitate the skill. The foundation from which good volleyers are made is collapsing all around us.

So where is the game going? In my view it's going massive. The younger players are slamming the ball so hard it's scary. Many can't be consistent enough to make it work but soon or later a handful of players will come along that can. As far as I can envisage the ball is going to be moving in dead straight lines...muscled...the straightest route possible. I see the game going flatter, not more spinny. Trips to the net will be to purely to mop up...and shake hands.

Of course my observations are from Wimbledon. World-class tennis on hard courts may tell a different story, you tell me.
    Last edited by stotty; 07-24-2014, 02:19 PM.
    Stotty

Wimbledon...Tradition no more

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    I spent much time this Wimbledon walking around the outside courts trying to assess where the future of the game is going.

Another very noticeable thing is younger players rarely use serve and volley in doubles, and there were countless matches where all four players served and stayed back throughout the entire match. I found that amazing.

The standard of doubles was very low this year. It was amazing to see so many players serving and hitting ground shots so well yet have so little idea where to stand, how command the net, or how to execute good doubles play, period. I found the doubles matches hard to watch.

The foundation from which good volleyers are made is collapsing all around us.

So where is the game going? In my view it's going massive.

Trips to the net will be to purely to mop up...and shake hands.
    Thanks for your impressions. First hand impressions from Wimbledon. Lucky guy...I am almost envious. But I will say that I admire you for all of those years of experience at being a spectator at those hallowed grounds. Most of all it is the classic era that I admire you for...you can take modern tennis and shove it where the sun don't shine.

I was actually right some thirty years ago when the entire field eventually switched to the new equipment. What a strange time that was for tennis. Nobody seemed to bat an eyelash...except yours truly. A one man mission man...I have to admit. I lost.

But the game has already gone massive...as in racquets. The video of the Ilie Nastase and Arthur Ashe final at the 1972 U. S. Open is a fine example of what tennis was for the first 100 plus years that it was played until the powers that be decided to ruin it. Nobody asked the little guy...nobody asked the players. But the racquets took the game to massive and it was immediately recognizable. The extra 40 plus percent in area of the face of the racquet proved to fatal to the game as it was known during those classic years.

As you saw on the grounds the whole forecourt has been effectively engineered or coached out of play. Modern tennis aficionado's cannot be faulted on ignorance...afterall even a guy old enough like klacr admits that he never first hand witnessed the real game. He was too young. It is not his fault that his hero's are in truth impostors to the real game. Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg played superb tennis as it was but to be frank the game had already crossed the line. It was too fast. Brad Gilbert said as much in an article that was posted here on the forum.

Your reports about the state of doubles play is truly pathetic news. As you know...in the years of classic tennis 95% of the singles players were participating in the doubles as well. It went with the territory. But now things have changed...and things don't always change for the better. So there you have it...you report only mirrors what I have been saying even prior 1984. Orwell was right though..."he who controls the present controls the past". History has been rewritten...you only need to read this forum to realize how the wool has been pulled over everyone's eyes.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

The earnings and sales speak for themselves.

Really, no one wants crappy wood rackets, heavy frames, awful string, bad shoes and and slow pathetic rallies.

The powers that be created a financial machine and global superstars out of a sport that was once just a cottage industry.

The world has changed.

Comment

Many people blame the equipment makers for the baseline domination. The makers have made frames and strings that make the game more enjoyable for most of us, not less. Lighter frames, stronger frames, with bigger sweet spots, and string that provides more consistency, more spin, costs less than the old gut. A by product has made net approaches, along with technique advances, a thing of the past unless the probability is 30% greater than the old days of success. More normal people can hit great shots now than ever before, ala golf clubs and balls changing. What's not to like for 99% of the world's players?

Those advances have made it possible for an old guy like me to improve as I age, along with the younger guys, who I often beat, even at 230lbs, and 58yrs. old. That would not have been possible with layered wood 65 sq. in. frames.

Today I played a div. III player at cal stadium, and won 15 of 24 serve points on my end, and 12 of 25 points on his serve. First strike tennis allowed that. Technique improvement of my serving and aggression index allowed that. (He was rusty, but still can hit pro shots off both wings. Kid is 28 yrs. younger than I am and 78lbs lighter.) You'd have to see it to believe the shocked look on his face, to see me coming in and serving and volleying him and returning and volleying him to death. (Using an extended babolat pure drive team plus pro stock, siliconed, leaded, to 365g, two over grips, 4 1/2" rounded grip for better ground stroke western grip uni style production, T1 fw 1.20mm mains, poly star energy crosses, create a very loud, pocketed feel, with excellent spin in the 16 x 19 bab..)
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-27-2014, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
          The earnings and sales speak for themselves.

Really, no one wants crappy wood rackets, heavy frames, awful string, bad shoes and and slow pathetic rallies.

The powers that be created a financial machine and global superstars out of a sport that was once just a cottage industry.

The world has changed.
          That pretty much describes every old school match to a T. Except the gut string, vs imperial, was not awful, just powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge
            Why would a game that is being played on a professional level be engineered to keep fat old guys perpetuating the illusion that they are competitive or even relevant as players?

Answer...it should not be. If fat old guys want to play with oversized racquets...they should be allowed to...with other fat old guys. The professional game should have been held to a higher standard.

Remember the original premise of tennis etiquette is..."Thou shall not seek unfair advantage over your opponent."
            What on earth are you talking about?

The equipment has evolved to suit the game. You want to go on playing tennis with archaic wooden rackets?

It is like saying that car racing should use Model T Fords. What about your conclusion? Who is taking unfair advantage over an opponent? Everybody is free to use whatever equipment they want.

What you are saying applies to every tennis era. You want to go back to Richard Sears racket? (He was famous for his volleying btw.... )

(Sears probably thought as you did when more modern rackets showed up...)

Question to you: Are you still playing with a Dunlop Maxplay? I hope so, otherwise you are not being true to your philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Question to you: Are you still playing with a Dunlop Maxplay (Maxply)?
              Sorry to interrupt. I know this question wasn't aimed at me. Oddly enough I bought a couple of Maxply rackets on eBay recently and restrung them in natural gut. They really don't play that badly.

My son is obsessed with using one and takes it to the club to show off to friends. His low volleys have improved significantly because he really has to watch and get down to the ball to make the shot happen. When he switches back to his Babolat he finds he volleys so well because it is so, so much easier. I think with the bigger rackets he can get lazy (not intentionally) about things whereas with a Maxply he really has to execute shots well or they won't happen.

All the kids at the club have had a go with them. They find it great fun. Sometimes we play beat the champ where the champ has to use the Maxply. As a coach you can really use your imagination about these things...and yes using a wooden racket temporarily can force kids to do some things better. They really enjoy the challenge and it makes a change.

I do think some of don_budge's best points are missed when posters continually and consistently try to prove him wrong. One of his best points is that modern technology has deskilled the game. It's true. You need more skill and ability to play with a Maxply than a Babolat.
              Last edited by stotty; 07-29-2014, 01:55 AM.
              Stotty

Comment

All I can say is compare the Rafter-Agassi match with modern equipment, versus the Budge-Riggs match with old wooden rackets. Which would you rather watch? I'll take Rafter-Agassi any day.

Comment

I do think some of don_budge's best points are missed when posters continually and consistently try to prove him wrong. One of his best points is that modern technology has deskilled the game. It's true. You need more skill and ability to play with a Maxply than a Babolat.
                  Well, you would probably also need more skill to play with a coke bottle as well, so what is the point? Do we need equipment which makes playing the game more difficult?
                  Last edited by gzhpcu; 07-29-2014, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Nuclear Tennis...

I spent much time this Wimbledon walking around the outside courts trying to assess where the future of the game is going. I decided to do this by paying close attention to the younger players, those in their early twenties. I made a point of casting aside any preconceived ideas picked up from other coaches and friends. I even cast aside Tennisplayer. Better to be a disciple of no one as being a disciple comes with the risk of being as blind as a bat.

So where is the game going? In my view it's going massive. Trips to the net will be to purely to mop up...and shake hands.
                    What on earth are you talking about?

The equipment has evolved to suit the game. You want to go on playing tennis with archaic wooden rackets?

It is like saying that car racing should use Model T Fords. What about your conclusion? Who is taking unfair advantage over an opponent? Everybody is free to use whatever equipment they want.

What you are saying applies to every tennis era. You want to go back to Richard Sears racket? (He was famous for his volleying btw.... )

(Sears probably thought as you did when more modern rackets showed up...)

Question to you: Are you still playing with a Dunlop Maxplay? I hope so, otherwise you are not being true to your philosophy.
                    Well, you would probably also need more skill to play with a coke bottle as well, so what is the point? Do we need equipment which makes playing the game more difficult?

Wimbledon has lost it's original charm. What has replaced it?

Perhaps you can somehow use the same argument to prove that nuclear weapons have made the world a safer place to live. Or that nuclear energy is safe and has improved some of our environmental concerns. Or somehow the improvements in our lives somehow outweigh the risks. I severely doubt it as much as I doubt that the quality of tennis has somehow improved.

It's faster...no doubt about that. But it has destroyed the integrity of the game. Looking at the old classic matches might seem like a exercise in nostalgia to some but trust me...it isn't for me.

I drive a Toyota Land Cruiser and an Alpha Romero...within the speed limits of course...btw.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 08-07-2014, 11:54 PM. Reason: for the love of the game...
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

It is all a matter of taste.

I prefer this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IdYyZ2zAJc

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8795 users online. 5 members and 8790 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X