Arthur Ashe vs. Tom Okker 1968 U. S. Open Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Ashe vs. Tom Okker 1968 U. S. Open Final

At the apex of history...the 1968 U. S. Open Final Arthur Ashe versus Tom Okker. The inaugural event when the professional game merged with the amateur. Ashe wins in five tough sets...14-12, 5-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

Jack Kramer and Bud Collins in this short video.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Did anyone recognize that beautiful serve and forehand volley from Okker at the 15 second mark? That was stunning.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Did anyone recognize that beautiful serve and forehand volley from Okker at the 15 second mark? That was stunning.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Commonplace stuff if you watch the whole clip... Volleys that players would fine tricky today, players found really quite easy back then...really easy actually when I think about it.

Watch for Ashe's backhand volley. The uncompromising ones are as good as you will see. Like the one at 1:22.

Okker seems to be peppering Ashe's forehand better than Nastase, particularly when serving to the deuce court.
      Last edited by stotty; 07-26-2014, 06:58 AM.
      Stotty

Comment

The Draw Sheet for the 1968 U. S. Open...

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

There were a lot of interesting names at the inaugural U. S. Open in 1968. Look who beat Tony Roche in the round of sixteen...none other than a 40 year old Richard Gonzalez. Gonzalez then lost to Tom Okker in the quarterfinals...14-16, 6-3, 10-8, 6-3.

Forty year old Torben Ulrich went down in five tough sets against a 24 year old John Newcombe...5-7, 4-6, 6-4, 10-8, 6-4.

Remember this was before the advent of the tiebreaker.

Does anybody remember what name is on that Wilson racquet Ashe is playing? Is it a "Tony Trabert" model? I remember having one of those...one of my first racquets if not my first.
        Last edited by don_budge; 07-26-2014, 08:49 AM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

What made that Okker volley really standout to me, besides the skills, was the camera angle. It really captures the skills, spins, speed and quickness of the competitors and the ball. Love these clips. Helps us appreciate our sport and its humble no-nonsense beginnings.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8433 users online. 5 members and 8428 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X