Eugenie Bouchard and the Developmental Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eugenie Bouchard and the Developmental Process

Let's get your thoughts on the Nick Saviano interview: "Eugenie Bouchard and the Developmental Process"

Her serve is holding her back. I would work on it with her: more sideways coil, held longer, higher elbow, faster hand speed, snap back wards under the higher elbow, stick her left hip out over the baseline, start from a further weight back, further forward move, not just up/down on the leg drive, more pronation of her forearm, faster hand speed, faster snap further in front on firsts, develop an american twist, with a toss further back over her right shoulder, so she can hit the left part of the ball, develop a faster second serve top slice.

Comment

Good interview. Saviano is interesting guy. No doubt about his coaching resume though. My question to him is when things aren't going well for Genie in the course of a match or set (her last 5 sets played, she's lost 6-0 in 3 of them) is what is her plan B? Or is her bad Plan A still better than her best plan B?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Kyle good question. Just to play devil's advocate though did Edberg or McEnroe have plan B? Or even Federer?

Comment

A good devil's advocate you are John. Fair question. But...

All great players, much like great shots, have both offensive and defensive capabilities. They also have the ability to take a step back and make adjustments to their tactics for a period of time before regaining control and continuing with their overall strategy. McEnroe, Edberg and Federer are all great champions because of their ability to think, take a step back, adjust and find a different way to the same goal. If you can't raise your game, bring down the level of your opponents game. As aggressive as those male players are, there are numerous clips of them playing extraordinary defense and over the course of time, shifting the match paradigm back in their favor.

When I watched Bouchard in her last two matches, she remained on top of the baseline against two ladies that were clearly striking the ball better than she was. Petra Kvitova and Shelby Rogers (Yes I said Shelby Rogers) had very little to adjust and remained in anice rhythm throughout simply for the fact that Bouchard didn't give them a different look. Like a baseball pitcher with only a fastball

Part of what makes champions great, Like McEnroe, Edberg and Federer is their stubbornness. However, If a player is not careful, its that stubbonness that also leads to their downfall. The three male players mentioned were/are stubborn and steadfast in their approach and dictating style of play and attack, yet are willing to improvise and go "off route" if they had to in order to win with the caveat that they will always arrive at their destination, but perhaps later than expected.

Bouchard will be a great player. Perhaps even a grand slam champion. She is still young and has the pressure of being a Madison Avenue darling. Once she gets comfortable with being more than just a tennis player, I think we'll see her game take off to new heights. As Coach Saviano said, the developmental process is long term. Genie is not done yet. There are always things to learn in tennis

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Her plan b is to bash the ball better than plan a, which is to bash the ball from the ground. No overheads. No volleys, no twist serve, no anything else. If they figure out her weaknesses, it's a 6-0 set.

Comment

My impression is that Geni is likely to evolve because I sense a unique desire in her. A fierceness that is equal to Maria and Serena.

Comment

She is excellent at body fly shots, flying forwards for more mass/speed/longer contact out front. LIke Nishikori, who is the fastest unit turner.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  My impression is that Geni is likely to evolve because I sense a unique desire in her. A fierceness that is equal to Maria and Serena.
                  I get that impression from her as well. She says all the right things and she makes it a point to show her competitive side. I'm rooting for her to do well and assume her last two performances are merely a blip on the radar screen. The US Open would be a great event to have her take the crown. Gives the WTA tour a new champ.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Genie's Game

Great points, guy!
                    I have noticed it for a while.
                    Genie is probably the most aggressive player in terms of translational energy since Monica Seles. She unusually leans into her balls and reminds me of a young Sharapova with a better inside the baseline game. But sometimes a finals and a couple SFs doesn't equate to a major championship.

Because her mindset is so positionally aggressive, she doesn't really have a natural/defensive game. But consider most players at her age and very few were complete.

Kyle, Johnny Y, I should see you in NY at the TTC (Thurs-Sat) and start of the Open but I won't be there that long considering I have to be back and then again in NY/Open for Labor Day weekend meetings.

Best,
                    Doug

Comment

Doug, I'll be there. John Y will as well giving a great presentation. We'll meet up and discuss all their is to discuss in tennis and in life. See you soon.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

DE,
                        Emailed you. Hope to see you at some pt.
                        John

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8071 users online. 4 members and 8067 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X