X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnyandell
    replied
    Pedro,
    In the deuce court down the T yes--assuming you have a good ball position on the toss and something like the full hand and arm rotation--and thanks as usual for the comments and the good words!
    John

Leave a comment:

• privas
    replied
    Awesome series on the serve!

Mr Yandell; this has been an great series on the serve.

It's interesting how very small changes in racquet angle lead to marked effects in serve placement. Perhaps this is why, for example, players are sold on the idea of the "wrist snap," when in reality it's only a slight change from "slightly laid back" to "neutral" position. For me, the idea of serve placement, racquet angle on contact, and "requisite spin" as all being linked together is amazing. If I understand you correctly, you are implying that on the deuce court, if I attempt a slice serve down the T, then it's gonna have to have some kick as well. If this is what your are saying, then I shouldn't work so hard at "purging" the kick component from this particular serve selection since that would be futile.

I appreciate also the high speed footage of the role of the legs in the serve. I didn't use too much legs on my serve, until I started playing doubles and I had to serve from the corners, which requires more power and a flatter grip for me. I naturally find that moving my leading (left) foot forward and sideways right before I bend my knees (like Federer) really helps me maintain my balance and keep my momentum going forward. Thanks again for your high speed footage of the Federer serve.

Keep up the good work. Pedro

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Phil,

It could be! If you have the full arm rotation though the image of the timing of the rotation and the racket face at contact will likely produce better biomechanics overall.
    Last edited by johnyandell; 08-07-2014, 07:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gzhpcu
    replied
    Question is if imagery like "carving around the ball", etc. even if erroneous still is an aid to learning the movement...

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    It's all in the details. Terrific series on the most important yet often misunderstood shot in tennis. Great system and evidence to teach players of all ability levels.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• gzhpcu
    replied
    Great series John. Actually, it is incredible what small swing adjustments occur between the various types of serves and placement. I find it a wonder that we humans manage to do it. Hard to learn I find. Seems more instinctive.

Leave a comment:

• A New Teaching System: Second Serve Spins and Placements

Would love to hear what you thought of "A New Teaching System: Second Serve Spins and Placements"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2437 users online. 6 members and 2431 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X