Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Western & Southern Open...ATP 1000...Cincinnati, Ohio

Here's the draw...

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Last week's hero is already yesterday's news. The effort expended was too much to replicate. Interesting...Mikhail Youzhney is a quality player and he bounces Jo-Wilfried Tsonga into next week with barely a whimper. Certainly without a set. Novak Djokovic already showing signs of struggling.

klacr's Tomas Berdych facing a man that sternly tested him last week. It will be interesting to see how both men react to a rematch so soon. They know each other pretty good at this point. A battle of two young guns...Grigor Dimitrov and Jerzy Janowicz. One tasting success...the other struggling to find his niche. His identity.

They are all here. Well...most everyone. Except you know who. Fa Fa Fooey. Expect to see a lot of forehands...even hit from clear over in the backhand alley of the court. ATP forehands are definitely the call of the day. No doubt about that. I question the entertainment value...not the prevalence. It will be interesting to see how interest the play will generate...not only on the forum but in the tennis world in general. The world seems to be shrinking if I am not mistaking. You can almost hear the sucking sound...like the air going out of a balloon. Hopefully the coming U. S. Open can revive us once again.

I think that some of the old guard is showing some signs of wear...fatigue. It could have something to do with the pace of the play.

I wonder if John is filming in Cincinnati.
    Last edited by don_budge; 08-13-2014, 11:34 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Lu was lucky to win a set last week against Berdych. Lu won't be so lucky this week. Berdych looking to get serious and looking to finally start his North American Hard court campaign with a title. He plays first on court 9 at 11am.

I called the Youzhny upset over Tsonga earlier yesterday. Tsonga was a shell of himself. Physically and emotionally spent. Makes us appreciate the toughness of Fed and Nadal to be able to win those titles back to back. Youzhny is one of the most underrated players on tour. 25 weeks in the top 10 in his career, 10 Singles/doubles titles, A davis Cup title, A complete all around game. The man knows how to play and is not intimidated by the big boys.

Djokovic not impressive against Simon last night. Federer is Federer. But honestly, After two disappointing showings in Washington and Toronto, Berdych knows the time is now. Your 2014 Cincinnati champion...Tomas Berdych

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Lu was lucky to win a set last week against Berdych. Lu won't be so lucky this week. Berdych looking to get serious and looking to finally start his North American Hard court campaign with a title. He plays first on court 9 at 11am.

I called the Youzhny upset over Tsonga earlier yesterday. Tsonga was a shell of himself. Physically and emotionally spent. Makes us appreciate the toughness of Fed and Nadal to be able to win those titles back to back. Youzhny is one of the most underrated players on tour. 25 weeks in the top 10 in his career, 10 Singles/doubles titles, A davis Cup title, A complete all around game. The man knows how to play and is not intimidated by the big boys.

Djokovic not impressive against Simon last night. Federer is Federer. But honestly, After two disappointing showings in Washington and Toronto, Berdych knows the time is now. Your 2014 Cincinnati champion...Tomas Berdych

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      I clearly made that post too soon. Berdych not having the best lead up to the US Open. When I'm in NYC hopefully my passion and optimism will rub off on him and he'll have an impressive performance. Let's hope.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Berdych and Dimitrov...take a break already

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        klacr's Tomas Berdych facing a man that sternly tested him last week. It will be interesting to see how both men react to a rematch so soon. They know each other pretty good at this point. A battle of two young guns...Grigor Dimitrov and Jerzy Janowicz. One tasting success...the other struggling to find his niche. His identity.
        I know that I didn't exactly make the call on either match...but I did highlight them. Two high seeds get an early exit and some much needed rest before the U. S. Open in a couple of weeks.
        don_budge

Comment

Berdych has played 5 matches since losing in the 3rd round of Wimbledon. He doesn't need rest. He needs matches and confidence.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Last edited by klacr; 08-13-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Federer does it again! He has been playing he escape artist in Cincinatti! Even recovered from two breaks down in the second set! Now Raonic...

Comment

Murray was not going to approach the net unless someone sent him an invite. Completely different match tonight for Federer as he plays Raonic. At laeast I hope so, for Raonic's sake.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Federer is on a roll, he routed Raonic... Ferrer will be tougher in the final.

Comment

Rollin' with Roger...and Tina

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  Federer is on a roll, he routed Raonic... Ferrer will be tougher in the final.
                  He starts it nice and smooth...he finishes it nice and rough! Just like Tina in "Proud Mary".

don_budge

Comment

Federer sent a message loud and clear to all players in the us open draw. You'll need to come at him with much more than a big serve. He ran circles around Raonic. Raonic was not serving his best and Federer exploited the rest of his game. Federer finished with 14 of 16 net points won. He rushed Raonic into silly errors and pretty much showed us why Federer is Federer and Raonic is still Raonic. In all fairness, Raonic came through Berdych's quarter of the draw, would have been a much more entertaining match had Berdych made it through. Just Sayin'.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

The Living Proof...Roger Federer

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                      He did well to crunch Ferrer in the third (Cincinnati).
                      Originally posted by klacr View Post
                      Federer sent a message loud and clear to all players in the us open draw.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      He sent a message alright and he got the memo...from don_budge. From the new racquet to approach tactics with a bit of serve and volley thrown in. Look out if he should get the idea that to slice or drive slice is not a sign of weakness but a sign of great tactical acumen. Nothing new under the sun. It has been a theme that I have been writing about forever...since day one on this forum.

For Roger it started with the racquet which makes other things possible. I told you so...that it would make every link in the chain that makes up his tennis game that much stronger. Once again his strokes are equal to his competitors thanks to the bigger racquet and he can assert himself accordingly. What a huge difference 8 square inches made...not to mention the six inches between his ears. Competitive tennis at this level is as much a confidence game as anything.

Take note tennis students and connect the dots. You are beginning to get the picture and understand the difference between "engineering and evolution".

It's a wonder he hung on to that racquet as long as he did. But he isn't the first great champion to do so. John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl were the last to cave in...Roger is the last remaining link to classic tennis. It is wonderful to see him return to his roots somewhat and play true classic tennis...even if it is with a snowshoe. But even yet...he clings to 2 square inches less than the other pretenders...98 to 100.

Why does Ferrer's racquet look so gargantuan?
                      Last edited by don_budge; 08-18-2014, 12:24 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge

Comment

The Federer Volley...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                        Exactly...

I think Federer can be questioned tactically despite his massive success...at least against Nadal. If you factor the sliced backhand in with some good serving and a few other tactical bits and bobs it might make all the difference. I think his sliced backhand is an excellent neutralising shot but not so much of a weapon as it could be.
                        "You're damn right!"...as the great John McEnroe said to Jiminy Glick.

He looked so much more comfortable volleying against Ferrer than I have seen him in many years. Number one...the racquet. Number two...he is getting used to the idea. Number three...he is anticipating the ball in the air so much better. Notice too...the more infrequent swinging volleys. No doubt the influence of Stefan Edberg who has been able to convince him they are unnecessary if he uses good classic volley technique and closes properly on the ball in the air.

He is closing much better and the forehand in particular has firmed up with less wrist action and crisper contact. The backhand as well is firmed up. When hitting a ball in the air less is better and that goes double if you are closing with impunity...as any great volleyer should.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 08-18-2014, 01:35 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7924 users online. 4 members and 7920 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X