Flex bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flex bar

I have a young student (13) who is quite a good player with solid technique but developed an elbow problem - specifically, golfer's elbow which is different than tennis elbow. At Don Brosseau's suggestion, he started to work with a flex bar and the problem went away in a couple of weeks. I know that Geoff Williams is also a fan of the bar and I wanted to give a report - not a scientific study I realize but at least a positive experience.

Works better than any other treatment I've tried.

Comment

Golf/Tennis Elbow tend to be caused issues with the shoulder, back or hips. Often times strengthening of the upper back is required. You should consult a physical therapist for treatment.

Comment

Totally agree to have a professional check it out, was only noting a potential tool that did work for a student of mine

Comment

I will give it a try!

Comment

I've been to two chiropractors. None of the work they did helped the pain. The flex bar routine I developed healed it, and now, any time I get hurt again, I return to it. If I'd just continue as a preventive, the injuries would never happen in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
              Golf/Tennis Elbow tend to be caused issues with the shoulder, back or hips. Often times strengthening of the upper back is required. You should consult a physical therapist for treatment.
              In 1978 at the age of 29 going on 30, I was still a wannabe tennis pro and for the first time in my life, I had a sponsor to help me pick up the expenses so I could play full time. After training indoors in NY for about 4 months, I went to Hopman's camp for a few weeks before the start of the satellite circuit in Florida. I played there and then I had some problems with my elbow and had to take a short break, but Dr. Glick gave me a cortizone shot and I went to the Italian circuit and then to the Missouri Valley circuit. But by midsummer, my arm was shot and I had to give it up. I went to the Hamptons to teach my sponsor's kids for a couple of months before he got me a job in Wall Street.

I had to lay off competition for more than 6 months. I could play a little, but not enough to have been able to continue playing full time. I stayed in the brokerage business until 1981 and then I was back on the court teaching again; still not playing seriously at all even if I was on the court quite a bit.

I came back to Los Angeles in the fall of 1981 and in early 1982 someone I had started to practice with got me to go see his chiropractor. I didn't even know what a chiropractor was.

You mention the shoulder. This chiropractor had me doing all kinds of things and then he figured out that the problem was my shoulder and I was able to trace the onset of my elbow problems to my senior year in college when I first had a sore arm. I had fallen on my shoulder walking up a hill in front of our dorm...yeah, on my hands...dummy! Anyway, I missed a week and then went to a tournament in Arizona and had a terrible tennis elbow for the first time in my playing career. I had a pretty sweet motion and shouldn't have had a problem.

Anyway, the chiropractor got my arm pretty good by the time I entered 35's in 1983 while I was going through the MBA program at UCLA. I won the Sectional Doubles (with fellow Tennisplayer poster Chris Burr) and we were ranked #1 in SoCal and then the next year I won the National Grass 35 Doubles with Guillermo Oropez with whom I had learned to play when I was a teenager (he's now at Forest Hills and has been for almost 15 years). I could never have done that if it had not been for the help of that chiropractor.

So I wanted to know how he did what he did. The next thing I knew I was taking prerequisite Organic Chemistry classes so I could get into chiropractic school. And I became a chiropractor. I graduated from chiropractic school about a month before my 40th birthday.

Find a good one. We can be really helpful.

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8141 users online. 4 members and 8137 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X