2014 US Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 US Open

This time things are looking good for Federer: Djokovic is out of form, Nadal has his wrist injury, Raonic is intimidated by Fed, Murray is plummeting in the rankings, Wawrinka is erratic. Roger is playing in great form, and mixing in volleys/approach shots (thank you Stefan) very well. It should be Roger's this time...

Nadal is out of the US Open. He withdrew this morning. The defending champ not able to compete. Nadal has never successfully defended a title on a surface other than clay. In all fairness, same can be said for Roger Federer on clay.

The top 8 seeds of the US Open are

1. Djokovic
    2. Federer
    3. Wawrinka
    4. Ferrer
    5. Raonic
    6. Berdych
    7. Dimitrov
    8. Murray

Federer has to be feeling like the favorite.

Will be a great tournament. Going to NYC later this week to catch some practices and staying for the first few days. Maybe could help out Berdych. I'd be a great asset to his team.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Nadal is out of the US Open. He withdrew this morning. The defending champ not able to compete. Nadal has never successfully defended a title on a surface other than clay. In all fairness, same can be said for Roger Federer on clay.

The top 8 seeds of the US Open are

1. Djokovic
      2. Federer
      3. Wawrinka
      4. Ferrer
      5. Raonic
      6. Berdych
      7. Dimitrov
      8. Murray

Federer has to be feeling like the favorite.

Will be a great tournament. Going to NYC later this week to catch some practices and staying for the first few days. Maybe could help out Berdych. I'd be a great asset to his team.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      It's hard to believe Djokovic won't pull it together for the US Open. I'm not so sure about Federer doing seven rounds on hard courts. A couple of tough matches will diminish his chances from a stamina standpoint...well he is 33.

Maybe we will get someone new coming through this year. With Nadal absent and Murray playing like a dummy, there has never been a better chance for someone to come out of the wings.
      Stotty

Comment

Don't forget that Roger has introduced the net attacks to shorten the points. He ran about 30% less than Ferrer in the final, I believe... This should help him from a stamina point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          It's hard to believe Djokovic won't pull it together for the US Open. I'm not so sure about Federer doing seven rounds on hard courts. A couple of tough matches will diminish his chances from a stamina standpoint...well he is 33.

Maybe we will get someone new coming through this year. With Nadal absent and Murray playing like a dummy, there has never been a better chance for someone to come out of the wings.
          Someone new coming through this year? Someone to come out of the wins? Perhaps, a first time grand slam champion. Dare I say...Tomas...Berdych?

Hasn't had the best summer swing. But that means he's had more time to get the balance right and get primed for the Open. Before you laugh, roll your eyes and get dismissive of my hopes, ask yourself this: How many of you picked Stan Wawrinka to win the Australian Open this year? Wawrinka had to get through a very tough Berdych in a couple tie-breaks to even make the finals. Let's not overlook my Czech. Laugh if you want, but he's a former semifinalist at this event and has beaten Federer on the hard courts at Flushing Meadows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QYaP15hNkQ

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            Someone new coming through this year? Someone to come out of the wins? Perhaps, a first time grand slam champion. Dare I say...Tomas...Berdych?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Okay, it's more fun to go for outside bets (that's anyone outside the fab four). You go with Berdych and I'll go with Dimitrov. Let's see who gets the furthest.

Anyone else want to chip in an outsider?
            Stotty

Comment

Okay, it's more fun to go for outside bets (that's anyone outside the fab four). You go with Berdych and I'll go with Dimitrov. Let's see who gets the furthest.

Dimitrov not a bad choice. But I'll go with the man who is just one of 23 male players ever to reach semis of all 4 grand slams. The man who has beaten Federer and Djokovic in Grand Slams before. I'll stick with Berdych. perhaps I'm the band leader on the Titanic as I go down with the ship, but I'll continue playing.

Dimitrov is the future. Dimitrov will have his moment, his time to shine, his glory. But not before Federer captures at least one more major and Djokovic has past his prime. Dimitrov will make you proud as well as the rest of us that cheer for him. He just won't do it this year.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

I'll go for Tsonga...

Comment

My pick is Federer again. I picked him to win Wimbledon, but he really looks good for this one. My sleeper pick, way dark horse, Jack Sock.
                  Last edited by stroke; 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I'm taking the great john McEnroe

Comment

But only if he plays with a wood racquet.

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
                        But only if he plays with a wood racquet.
                        If this is your way of starting some thread about how a prime McEnroe would do in in 2014 US Open, I am just telling you right now, I am not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          If this is your way of starting some thread about how a prime McEnroe would do in in 2014 US Open, I am just telling you right now, I am not interested.
                          And slice all his forehands.

Comment

Are you referring to the ATP type 3 slice forehand?

Comment

Who wants to get a bracket challenge group going for this year's US Open?

http://bracketchallenge.usopen.org/#/

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8702 users online. 6 members and 8696 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X