Davis Cup Semifinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis Cup Semifinals

Just when you thought I was silenced for the season after Berdych suffered an embarassing defeat in the US Open (which does not seem so embarassing anymore after the Cilic US Open Victory) I am miore vocal than ever as Davis Cup Weekend approaches. What a weekend it should be.

Tomas Berdych and the two time defending champions from the Czech Republic take on France at Roland Garros. An incredible venue with some top notch players. Berdych is a solid 28-13 in singles play but even more impressive in the doubles with a Davis Cup hero record of 20-1. Berdych and Stepanek are one of only 8 teams in history to have won all 4 doubles rubbers in a championship season in 2012.

In Geneva, Federer and Wawrinka take on the Italians with the mercurial one Fabio Fognini as well as Andreas Seppi.

I know Davis Cup to some people on the forum doesn't matter. It gets lost in the shuffle of all events and loses its significance. But it is still tennis featuring some great players and for that I love it!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

I am glad that Roger is playing Davis Cup again. Playing for your country instead of yourself is very special.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

I know Davis Cup to some people on the forum doesn't matter. It gets lost in the shuffle of all events and loses its significance. But it is still tennis featuring some great players and for that I love it!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      You're right, it doesn't matter. It hasn't for many years. But it should. In 1978 when Britain played the US in the Davis Cup final, it was huge in this country. I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid now. It has ceased to have any importance at all. Murray ducks out whenever he gets a credible chance.

Tennis is all about individuals these days. Who needs a country? I am not sure how you can change it. Somehow you have to make the country bigger than the player. Rescheduling or playing another format might help...make a bigger thing of it. Other than that, I'm stumped.
      Stotty

Comment

Match poin

Just when you thought I was silenced for the season after Berdych suffered an embarassing defeat in the US Open (which does not seem so embarassing anymore after the Cilic US Open Victory) I am miore vocal than ever as Davis Cup Weekend approaches. What a weekend it should be.

Tomas Berdych and the two time defending champions from the Czech Republic take on France at Roland Garros. An incredible venue with some top notch players. Berdych is a solid 28-13 in singles play but even more impressive in the doubles with a Davis Cup hero record of 20-1. Berdych and Stepanek are one of only 8 teams in history to have won all 4 doubles rubbers in a championship season in 2012.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        Tomas Berdych loses to Richard Gasquet in straight sets...double faulting on match point. Not good.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Match point...double fault

Tomas Berdych loses to Richard Gasquet in straight sets...double faulting on match point. Cardinal sin...not good.
          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            Tomas Berdych loses to Richard Gasquet in straight sets...double faulting on match point. Cardinal sin...not good.
            Don't remind me. I woke up early for this disaster. Czechs down 0-2 in Paris. Will need a monumental comeback to defend their Davis Cup title. Rough weekend.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Roger wins the first encounter against Bolelli... Great home crowd...

Comment

I think Switzerland will win the Davis Cup this year... Roger and Stan, great team...

Comment

Phil,

If Czechs can't make the comeback, and I don't think they can, I'm certainly rooting for the The Swiss Team to win it all. Admirable of Roger to make Davis Cup a priority this year. Stan and Roger make a great team. Heavy favorites for sure. Federer can add a Davis Cup title to his resume as well.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Czechs not giving up hope yet in Paris. Putting Berdych and Stepanek in for doubles. They have a 12 match winning streak. France is scheduled to play Gasquet-Tsonga in doubles. Think that may be a tactical misstep. Surprised that did not use 2014 French Open champs Benneteau and Roger-Vasselin. The door has opened a crack and I expect Czechs to make a competitive tie of this semi-final. Two time defending champs can't go out 3-0 can they?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

The Swiss are not doubles players, they lost another one, they lose mostly at the net...

Comment

The volleying in the Swiss-Italy Doubles match was...interesting?

Certainly left much to be desired. Looks like the Swiss left it up for Roger to hammer it up against Fognini. Switzerland and France in the finals. Roger's 1st and only chance at the elusive davis cup title.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Davis Cup...Doubles. Waning interests in the sport of modern tennis...13 cubic meters

The volleying in the Swiss-Italy Doubles match was...interesting?

Certainly left much to be desired. Looks like the Swiss left it up for Roger to hammer it up against Fognini. Switzerland and France in the finals. Roger's 1st and only chance at the elusive davis cup title.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          No...it was abysmal. I watched a bit of the first set. Then I went out to haul 13 cubic meters of wood into the wood shed...getting ready for winter! I worked like a horse...perhaps I should have hitched one up.

When I came back I was somewhat surprised as the match was 4-2 to Italy in the fifth set. Wawrinka muffed some scarily easy volleys. His partners net game was atrocious...but it didn't figure so much in the equation as he stayed back most of the time. Strange that one of the very elite players in the game was such a terrible volleyer at such a crucial juncture in the match.

The players positioning for the return of serve was odd and the antics of the serving team was really strange with the different formations. The Italians seemed to be playing it rather straight up and the Swiss were messing with their own minds trying out different tactics such as crouching in various positions while their own partner was serving.

But then again it all figures. Along with the decline in interest in the Davis Cup has been a decline in the all court game and doubles in general is a lost art. There have been a lot of changes in the game in the last thirty years...most of them not good. Rebuttals?

I didn't think so.

The Open Era began in 1968...it wasn't long before money was working it's Black Magic into the game. We are left with the remains...or rather the results. The remains will very shortly be nonexistent when Roger Federer retires.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 09-13-2014, 11:19 PM.
                          don_budge

Comment

Federer lives up to expectation. Sorry for you Kyle that the Czechs lost.

Comment

All good. Would have been great to see Federer and Berdych square off for the Davis Cup. A win/win for me. But The French stepped up when they needed to. Plus Stepanek was hobbled by a back injury in which he said he would never have played if it wasn't Davis Cup. No excuses though. It wouldn't have mattered, Tsonga and Gasquet played some remarkable ball.

The finals will be in November in France. Word on the street is it wil be in Lille, France. That pretty little town in the North near the Belgian border. It will be too cold for outdoors, so it will be indoors. The question is what surface will the French choose. Indoor clay or indoor hard. Either way, advantage Fed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8785 users online. 5 members and 8780 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X