Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum: October 2014 Kei Nishikori Forehand

Kei Nishikori Forehand

So does Kei Nishikori hit an ATP forehand? His grip is more extreme than you might suspect. His turn is less extreme. He finishes over the shoulder regularly.
    And often with a huge, full wiper.

Fascinating to see how the top players combine the range of technical elements! But what do you think?

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 10:09 AM.

Quicktime version

Kei Nishikori Forehand

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-01-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I prefer the Cilic forehand http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...LevelSide1.mov which has a lot more penetration and punch... Shows one of the reasons Cilic won...

Comment

I haven't got time to inspect the Cilic forehand right now since we have to go out on a job. But I draw attention to Nishikori's wiper-- the extent of it-- in examination of racket pitch right after contact. You will only see this if you get on the sequence with the capsule. Get your cursor on the capsule to hold it still. In this way you can explore what racket does right after contact. It turns over. And this is what Federer does too in the legion videos of racket turnover right after contact as if his strings got hit in the lower half by the oncoming ball and his grip was so loose that the racket did a 90-degree flip caused by the impact. In fact that did not happen. Both Nishikori and Federer turn their arm to go up the ball with so much vigor-- and acceleration-- that racket forms a roof parallel to court before the rest of the followthrough. Perhaps the modern forehand these days is very similar to the modern serve. Image isn't everything but rollover of the arm way ahead of rest of the motion is. The rollover is not in sync with the arm wrap but rather is ahead of it.
        Last edited by bottle; 09-11-2014, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          I prefer the Cilic forehand http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...LevelSide1.mov which has a lot more penetration and punch... Shows one of the reasons Cilic won...
          Oh well, maybe our gardening job can wait. Clicking with the arrows, one can see the same full rollover though a bit later than Nishikori's or Federer's in this issue's opening page with Federer rolling over again and again.

Yeah, Cilic's racket is square before it turns over.

But it definitely turns completely over before the rest of the wrap. All three guys employ a powerful and non-interrupted (lets say "unalloyed") roll.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
            It's a much flatter shot with more extension. It reminds me, interestingly, of Del Potro's forehand - the last "outsider" to win the Open.

Comment

He won as I predicted: bigger serve, fh, and net approaches. More relaxed form on ground. Like he was rallying.

Comment

Too bad your Federer prediction wasn't correct though!

Comment

I like Nishikoris ability to change direction, and his body fly forward, and the brevity of his unit turn. I off handedly mentioned to my wife: "What if Cilic and Nishikori make the final? No one will bet on that happening!" Cilic just flat out_ outgunned fed ex. The Ex Fed.

Comment

Bottle you are such a twat!

Comment

More Misdirected Disdain

Shoot it at sein Donald and his gullible followers instead.

I've never yet heard a forum criticism directed at myself that shouldn't have been directed at sein Donald.

It's not that there aren't good criticisms to be made of me. It's just that my forum antagonists have no idea what they are. Because I am difficult to read. And sein Donald is easy to read. So my antagonists who don't know exactly why they should dislike me simple-mindedly pick for their weapons the common criticisms of sein Donald that always lie on the surface ready for harvest and subsequent reasonable or bizarre use.

Originally posted by 1alexander View Post
                      Bottle you are such a twat!
                      Are you one of my usual antagonists, just with a different assumed name? Also, why "twat" (though it certainly is a venerable Olde English word and one of my favorites). Why not "dick-head" or the stark "penis?" Because sein Donald gives far more evidence of gender insecurity than I. Well, I repeat for you, 1alexander, what I've said of the others. All well qualified to be movie projectionists although old-time film is all but out of style. And remember: Alexander had a ragtime band.
                      Last edited by bottle; 04-03-2018, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

"I like being an object"-- Jane Birkin. Oh yeah, Nishikori's forehand.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8137 users online. 1 members and 8136 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X