Remembering Vitas Gerulaitis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Vitas Gerulaitis...

Twenty years ago today tennis lost a great friend and a flamboyant character. Vitas along with Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg formed a solid nucleus that made up the professional game in the seventies.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

Vitas was my age and I was aware of him very early on in my tennis years. He was a legend on the party circuit.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Twenty years ago today tennis lost a great friend and a flamboyant character. Vitas along with Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg formed a solid nucleus that made up the professional game in the seventies.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

Vitas was my age and I was aware of him very early on in my tennis years. He was a legend on the party circuit.
    That was an enjoyable read...brought back memories. I saw Vitas play at Queens Club and, yes, he was quick, especially around the net. It was nice to read the thoughts and comments of John Lloyd and Borg.

John Lloyd's father, Dennis, died just last week aged 94. I started my coaching career assisting and working alongside Dennis. I learnt much from him. He came at tennis differently to other coaches. He believed in teaching sound fundamentals then allowing players to mostly self develop thereafter. Other than occasional technical tweaking, Dennis focused on developing a players's game style and boosting their self-belief.

Dennis was a fan of Vitas, and found him good to watch.
    Stotty

Comment

He was the best tv commentator.. He would say things like, "Chang is hated in the locker room. He cheated as a junior, and players have long memories." Can you see anyone else saying that nowadays? Not even Mac. That's karma for you. No good d\eed goes unpunished, and no bad deed unrewarded on a free will planet.

Comment

The Lloyd's of London...Stolle and Gerulaitis

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        John Lloyd's father, Dennis, died just last week aged 94. I started my coaching career assisting and working alongside Dennis. I learnt much from him. He came at tennis differently to other coaches. He believed in teaching sound fundamentals then allowing players to mostly self develop thereafter. Other than occasional technical tweaking, Dennis focused on developing a players's game style and boosting their self-belief.

Dennis was a fan of Vitas, and found him good to watch.
        That's an interesting story in itself. John Lloyd somehow fit in with the Connors, McEnroe, Borg and Gerulaitis clique. Besides marrying Connor's ex-fiance as well. I like what you mention about his teaching philosophy. John had a really aesthetically appealing game. Classic serve and volley.

Vitas Gerulaitis was a real genuine character and what a gang they had back then. He and Fred Stolle must have made a really good match. It's cool to see the Australian influence on both he and John McEnroe.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8815 users online. 2 members and 8813 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X