2014 China Open...ATP 500...Beijing, China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 China Open...ATP 500...Beijing, China

Professional tennis being played in Asia. Welcome to the modern world. A lot of big names in Beijing this week. It should create a lot of interest among all bona fide tennis aficionados...but will it. Some times these "lesser" events tend to be stinkers and the grounds of rather interesting upsets as the top players almost seem to be more concerned with resting and prepping for bigger events.

But here is the return of the curious case of Fafa Nadal. He disappears once again under the radar to parts unknown after yet another dramatic exit from Wimbledon. Injuries? PED cycling? Too much money?

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Marin Cilic in the house...how will he fare with the huge bull's eye now firmly affixed between his shoulder blades? Grigor Dimitrov too...slated for a third round meeting with Novak Djokovic should he decide that he wishes to compete in this lower echelon venue.

The rest of the cast of characters. All playing the same game. It will be interesting to see if any interest can be salvaged from these events being played on the other side of the world. Of course the clock makes a difference too...doesn't it. What time is it there?
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

The tour is certainly back in full swing. Beijing is always a big draw for the players. Some rather tough first round match-ups as well.

Nadal vs. Gasquet, Berdych vs. Lopez, Dimitrov vs. Verdasco, Murray vs. Janowicz. This draw is looking like a masters 1000 event.

Nadal's return will get lots of attention. Tennis' marketing Gods have missed him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Czech that...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Nadal's return will get lots of attention. Tennis' marketing Gods have missed him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      It's all about money...that is the one thing that if for certain. Fafa playing in the doubles with...czech that...he was just eliminated by Tomas Berdych and John Isner.
      don_budge

Comment

Glad Berdych got a win over him in one way or another. It's been way too long in singles.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

The Berdych Forehand...unrealized potential

Glad Berdych got a win over him in one way or another. It's been way too long in singles.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Tomas Berdych defeats Feliciano Lopez rather convincingly 6-1, 6-2. Most of all I like the Berdych forehand...he seems to prefer the classic setup position. I really like that forehand and that is what I would build his game around. That and a reengineered service motion. It is most unfortunate that he does not have a complementary backhand. It is the backhand that has put limits on his potential. That and a mediocre service motion. When I say mediocre you realize by now that I am only speaking in relatives...as in relatively speaking.

The backhand limits the whole entire scope of his game. By restricting himself to two hands...he has virtually eliminated forecourt play. At least forecourt advantage. His ability to play the ball going forwards keeps him pinned on the baseline. But when this liability is coupled with a service motion that is not exploiting all of amazing potential of his physique and limits the scope of his tactical service game...he is what you call developmentally retarded.

It's a real shame. I can see why you like him because he has a really engaging personality. Unfortunately he is stuck in the modern paradigm of tennis than leaves no room for the imagination. His approach to the game is rather robotic. There is absolutely no reason that a man of his size and strength needs two hands on the racquet throughout any swing. Personally I can see an awesome drive backhand coupled with a nasty and wicked slice that would enable him to play the whole court...with volleys. Volleys and volleys and volleys. I can also see a beautiful service motion that carries him to the net very frequently...more often than not. With a full complement of tactical acumen.

He has been stuck in a rut...again relatively speaking. Number eight in the world is stuck in a rut? Certainly not if you are 108 in the world...number eight might just look like heaven. But as a tennis coach...I see potential and what I see in Tomas Berdych is the potential to be a contender for the top spot but so far there hasn't been any serious move to realize that potential. But again...he is making a bundle. He has the trophy babe. What more could a man want?

Victor Troicki next. He seems to be hungry and in good form. He beat Mikhail Youzhny in straight sets. I am certain that Tomas is on his toes as it is going to a long ass haul to the end of the road in Beijing. Fafa is standing in his way in the semi's...potentially.
          Last edited by don_budge; 09-29-2014, 11:35 PM.
          don_budge

Comment

All points you make are valid on the Berdych strokes. I also love his forehand. Ok, perhaps borderline obsessed with it. Here is some of John's greatest work (I'm slightly bias )
            http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...and/index.html

His serve leaves much to be desired. A man of his size could hit a very nice kick serve with plenty of margin, but Tberd relies heavily on a hard slice. Not sure what it is with the Czechs and lack of kick serves. I played with several of them in college, great teammates but geeeez, amazing flat ball strikers but kick serve was non-existent

Berdych's backhand is not a weapon but rather a steady shot that he can hit all day. He won't blister to many winners off it but rather just sustain a rally and be content. His volleys, relative to his colleagues are not bad, it is his transition game in actually getting to the net that needs work.

All that being said He did defeat an attacking player in Feliciano Lopez quite comfortably. I hope he can meet a returning Nadal in the later stages of Beijing. And I hope Berdych kicks his ass.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

More on Kozlov...from the "commentatoes" in China

I hope he can meet a returning Nadal in the later stages of Beijing. And I hope Berdych kicks his ass.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Yes...speaking of Nadal I am watching him play Peter Gojowczyk of Germany in his second round. It's typical Nadal playing tennis...forehand.

But there were some semi-interesting "commentoes" made by the commentatoes (I have added that word to my dictionary bottle) about junior tennis. Focused mainly on the Spanish juniors who have apparently won some recent event over the Polish juniors in the final. They were way saying that the current crop of Spanish juniors appears to be quite fruitful and when asked about the style of game they play...not surprisingly it was simply put "strong forehand". Additionally they said that there wasn't much variation with no apparent inclination to advance to the net.

They did mention Stefan Koslov and apparently Stefan has been issued a wildcard into the Valencia event which is a ATP 500 taking place later on in the month of October. That is some pretty stiff competition for the youngster and it will give him a taste of what he will be up against in the future. But of course he is already well aware of the climb he has embarked upon. He is an interesting proposition as everyone notes that he lacks a real overpowering game but I always say that control is power and his game is all about control.

As he matures he will emerge. As he gets stronger he will become more powerful in the modern sense of the word. But since his foundation is based on this mysterious element of control and dictation of the pace of the game...it is going to be really interesting to see if intellect and instinct still has a place in the suped up game of modern tennis. The big factor overall above all of the others is the development of his service game. In this respect he is on course for his age but his motion must be carefully scrutinized to see if he is indeed maximizing his potential to control his service game through thick and thin.
              don_budge

Comment

Martin Klizan! Enough said.

Takes out Nadal in three sets. Impressive performance. Berdych with a sigh of relief. Tberd should take out Klizan comfortably. But you never know. That's why they play the game.

Klizan playing with house money. In qualifying for Beijing, Martin Klizan was down a set and 1-5 to a player ranked 927 in the world. Now making the most out of this week.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

I watched most of the Murray/Djokovic match. Djoker really looked good. Totally in control of everything he was doing and played some unbelievable defense when Murray tried to raise the stakes. And Djoker won 14 of 18 points when he ventured to the net! Nole really looked like the best player in the world.

And then I tuned in to watch the third set of the Nishikori/Becker match. No comparison. It was so much more exciting to watch the abandon with which both players were hitting the ball. Basically, both are a couple of inches shorter than Murray and Djokovic. But Nishikori was taking the ball early and putting everything into his shots. Becker was hanging in with excellent serving and great shot making of his own. But it seemed to me like Nishikori was just too fast. I think he is too fast for Raonic, but the serve can be a great equalizer if it is a great serve. But suddenly Nishikori is hitting in a lot of first serves over 120 mph. I think he was over 76% on first serves. If you get a chance to see a replay of Becker/Nishikori, I strongly recommend it, at least the third set. I believe Nishikori was on fire in the second set as well.

I think the exciting matches will be in Shanghai if the seeds haven't worn themselves out in Beijing and Tokyo.

don

Comment

The Question...

The question has become...can Tomas Berdych stop Novak Djokovic. Djokovic has been extremely impressive in his last two rounds versus Grigor Dimitrov and Andy Murray who have both shown that they don't quite have it to stay with Djokovic.

Berdych for his part has been almost impressive but his competition may have been incrementally softer...but not by much. A straight set 6-1, 6-4 win over John Isner is impressive any day of the week and then another straight drubbing over Martin Kilzan who took down Fafa Nadal. Martin's legs had to be a bit shaky after the play the day before.

Berdych is in great shape to give it a shot. It's a great stage and the time is right. No time like the present. Djokovic seems to be feeling it once again. Maybe it's the meds kicking in...who knows? Look for a lot of back court exchanges with strong forehands and two handed backhands. Big racquets too.
                    don_budge

Comment

Berdych in finals of Beijing? Oh, I didn't notice.

The forehand was firing on all cylinders in that 2nd set against Klizan. Would it have been the same story against Nadal? Who knows. But that's Nadal's fault for not making it to the semis.

Djokovic and Berdych have a lot of respect for each other. Should be an entertaining final. Berdych won't be happy with a finals showing. He wants this title. He wants to remind tennis fans that he has just as much game as any of these "younger guys" that are creating this buzz.

First serve % and first strike tennis are #1 and #2 on the priority list for Berdych against Djokovic.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Kyle, Berdych managed to avoid a double bagel! That would really have been embarassing. He smiled in the end though...

Comment

Djokovic 6-0, 6-2???

Wow...Berdych seemed to be in great form. Djokovic must be in the zone. End of story. Over and out.
                          don_budge

Comment

Guys,

Djokovic claimed that was the best performance and final he has ever played in his career. Berdych said that it was "God's Performance". He also said that he's played over 700 matches on tour, against the likes of Federer, Nadal, Agassi etc, and says he's never experienced anything like Djokovic's level today.

Props to Djokovic. Tomorrow is a new day. Berdych had a great week. must build on it. Let's move on to Shanghai.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Guys,

Djokovic claimed that was the best performance and final he has ever played in his career. Berdych said that it was "God's Performance". He also said that he's played over 700 matches on tour, against the likes of Federer, Nadal, Agassi etc, and says he's never experienced anything like Djokovic's level today.

Props to Djokovic. Tomorrow is a new day. Berdych had a great week. must build on it. Let's move on to Shanghai.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              I didn't see the game. I will try and catch up with it on YouTube. When Djokovic's is playing well and his game fully clicks into place, I think he's the best player I have ever seen in the modern era.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3223 users online. 8 members and 3215 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X