Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Memorium: Welby Van Horn

Let's get your thoughts on Welby.

Sorry to hear of his demise, though 94 is a great age, and he played lots of tennis all his life.

Here is a very short clip of Welby in his heyday.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogDHFdSCboE

Now the only old-timers left that I know of are Gardnar Mulloy and Pancho Segura.

Comment

Welby Van Horn's Teaching System Articles on Tennisplayer.net should be required reading for many young coaches and players starting their journey down this wonderful path called tennis. Welby's influence on teaching and coaches is felt strongly in South Florida. Welby Van Horn ran of series of popular tennis camps at the Boca Raton Resort many years ago. Many of the young coaches who were instructors at his camp have stayed in the area and are now head pros and directors of tennis at some great clubs in South Florida.

Van Horn's teaching philosophy was ingrained in many of his employees and it shows. An ode to the fundamentals and respect for the game. Breaking down each stroke systematically while emphasizing complete balance and a range of correctness that holds true today. Many people are familiar with his system, even if few people actually knew who Welby was. His reach has spanned generations, time zones and skill levels. He gave many coaches an opportunity to make their students better. For that, he deserves our profound respect. Not just for his tennis contributions but also for his golf game.

Mr. Van Horn passed away on September 17th under Hospice care in West Palm Beach.
      Condolences to his Family.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Last edited by klacr; 10-04-2014, 03:38 AM.

Comment

I didn't know Welby but he sounds like one of those characters you don't forget. I like the sound of him. I like people who are honest and straightforward...salt of the earth types. Welby sounded like just such a man.

Lovely video found by Phil...super.
        Stotty

Comment

Arthur Ashe thought him the best coach period. I leave it there.

In the latter part of the same video I noticed something never conceived of before, at least not by me.

Don Budge's backhand may have resembled Ted Williams' baseball swing but his forehand looks like something from hockey-- a mini slap-shot.

Comment

Thanks John

Thanks John for such a wonderful piece on Welby. You captured the essence of the man.

Comment

Mr. Welby Van Horn...God Bless You

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
              Let's get your thoughts on Welby.
              Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Sorry to hear of his demise, though 94 is a great age, and he played lots of tennis all his life.

Here is a very short clip of Welby in his heyday..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogDHFdSCboE

Now the only old-timers left that I know of are Gardnar Mulloy and Pancho Segura.
              Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Welby Van Horn's Teaching System Articles on Tennisplayer.net should be required reading for many young coaches and players starting their journey down this wonderful path called tennis. Welby's influence on teaching and coaches is felt strongly in South Florida. Welby Van Horn ran of series of popular tennis camps at the Boca Raton Resort many years ago. Many of the young coaches who were instructors at his camp have stayed in the area and are now head pros and directors of tennis at some great clubs in South Florida.

Van Horn's teaching philosophy was ingrained in many of his employees and it shows. An ode to the fundamentals and respect for the game. Breaking down each stroke systematically while emphasizing complete balance and a range of correctness that holds true today. Many people are familiar with his system, even if few people actually knew who Welby was. His reach has spanned generations, time zones and skill levels. He gave many coaches an opportunity to make their students better. For that, he deserves our profound respect. Not just for his tennis contributions but also for his golf game.

Mr. Van Horn passed away on September 17th under Hospice care in West Palm Beach.
              Condolences to his Family.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              I didn't know Welby but he sounds like one of those characters you don't forget. I like the sound of him. I like people who are honest and straightforward...salt of the earth types. Welby sounded like just such a man.

Lovely video found by Phil...super.

Originally posted by bottle View Post
              Arthur Ashe thought him the best coach period. I leave it there.

In the latter part of the same video I noticed something never conceived of before, at least not by me.

Don Budge's backhand may have resembled Ted Williams' baseball swing but his forehand looks like something from hockey-- a mini slap-shot.
              Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
              Thanks John for such a wonderful piece on Welby. You captured the essence of the man.

I couldn't resist. Each of your comments really resonated within me. Taking klacr's astute comments to heart I have gone back to read and STUDY everything that this great tennis teacher had to say on this site.

Ed Weiss...could you please autograph and send me a copy of your book at once. Private message me for an address.

I first became aware of Welby Van Horn very early on in my tennis days. When I was in high school we had a boy who played tennis in the state of Michigan who was literally head and shoulders over everyone else in the state. His name was Victor Amaya. I still remember my high school coach saying to me..."he has been coached by Welby Van Horn". I still remember the awe and respect in my coaches voice as he relayed this to me.

Victor Amaya stood 6' 7" tall and his game was just beautiful. The word "balance" resonates when I remember how this goliath was so elegant and smooth in his approach to hitting a tennis ball. To say nothing of the serve...all accomplished with the wooden Jack Kramer Autograph.

Victor was so much better than all of the rest...he went on to threaten deposing Bjorn Borg at Wimbledon one year. In high school the memories of him dismantling other great Michigander tennis players like Larry Stark, Tony Lamerato, Mike Czarnecki and Danny (?) Richards (I cannot remember his first name but his father Wes Richards was deeply involved in Michigan tennis and was such a kind man).

The Welby Van Horn system fits so neatly into everything that I have ever read or said in my tennis writings. My tennis coaching paradigm is..."The book is William Tilden. The model is Richard Gonzales with the Don Budge backhand. The coach is Harry Hopman and Roger Federer is the living proof." Somehow it feels as if Mr. Van Horn validates everything. Everything.

My first introductory words to my students are always..."Tennis is a game of balance and energy."

God bless Welby. In the next world he is undoubtably playing doubles with all of his old friends and comrades.

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for this conversation...

"I wouldn't say he was particularly tactful and explaining where he thought it was inaccurate and needed improvement. That was a painful conversation but one that opened my eyes on a few points that resonated and have stayed with me."

...and it would be a privilege if you would care to share that one with us.

Afterall...

"Tennis would be a lot better off if all coaches and teachers had those kind of frank exchanges."

Again to Ed Weiss...what an extraordinary honor and privilege that must have been to be associated with such a teacher. What a blessing in life to share moments in time with such illuminaries of true craftsmanship. What extraordinary teaching fundamentals that show us that there is nothing really new under the sun. Just sound fundamentals and hard work. Of course the modern game is still built on the fundamentals of the swing...any swing in sports will do. It is only the equipment that has enabled the bells and whistles and if you know your fundamentals inside and out as Welby would insist that you do...you realize that there isn't anything magical about the whole thing. Just logical progressions.

The site works because of a lot of things. An organization is only as good as it's organization. The organization of this site has its own identity and it is extraordinary in it's composition to include this Master of the Game. The Teaching Master.

johnyandell...thanks for the whole enchilada. gzhpcu...thanks for the wonderful video. One of your many extraordinary finds. klacr...in a few words you have delivered a fine message. It doesn't surprise me that Welby was a golfer...he teaches like any great tennis teacher should. With a background in golf as well. Balance and energy. The perfect combination. Tennis is golf on the run. licensedcoach...another connecting dot. We are all on the road to find out. bottle...my Professor. EdWeiss...lucky you. Obviously fate deemed you deserving. Thank you.

Thank you all for all of your comments and posts...even outside of this thread. To me...this is what makes this forum what it is.
              Last edited by don_budge; 10-06-2014, 01:24 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

DB,

The big thing I remember Welby criticizing was the finish on my forehand model. In Visual Tennis for the basic progression I argued the racket face should be vertical at extension. In his book and the articles on Tennisplayer Welby has the face tilted to the player's left.

Pondering this later I realized that this was actually a proto wiper move. I began studying classical players like Sampras or Henman and saw that even on "classical" forehands there was significant counterclockwise hand and arm rotation.

So the wiper finish was not completely different--it was just the continuation and exaggeration of that movement.
                Last edited by johnyandell; 10-06-2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I haven't exactly written a book review, just a first reaction today to TRUE TENNIS MASTER in A New Year's Serve.

http://www.tennisplayer.net/bulletin...=1198&page=233, # 2330.
                  Last edited by bottle; 10-15-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts bottle...

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                    I haven't exactly written a book review, just a first reaction today to TRUE TENNIS MASTER in A New Year's Serve.

http://www.tennisplayer.net/bulletin...=1198&page=233, # 2330.
                    Thanks for your thoughts. I have read and reread the articles and it's a fascinating system that Mr. Van Horn has left us with. Truly that is one fine way to justify one's existence and leave one's mark.

It's a fascinating system and one that is easily communicated to a student. By numbers. With an explanation with each step along the way. I also find it interesting that Mr. Van Horn advocated the use of the mirror.

All in all there is much validity and logic to the Welby Van Horn system and it easily adapts to the modern game from it's classic roots. But why wouldn't it when it is so firmly established in sound fundamentals. Just as in Bill Tilden's writings…in John Yandell's articles and video analysis…in the play of the past such as Richard Gonzales, Don Budge. Furthermore validated by the coaching of the great Harry Hopman and the era of Australian and American dominance. Finally crossing the rubricon into modern tennis and resurgence of classic play of Roger Federer late in his career.

If you are grounded in fundamentals you cannot go wrong as a teacher. All of your students will not adhere to everything that is fundamentally correct but that is only testimony to the beast. Everyone is different. But you need guidelines and a system is a good way to tackle the extremely complicated task of teaching someone how to play tennis. Additionally you need the ability improvise. As when dancing the tango.

I have borrowed from the system of Mr. Van Horn and incorporated it into my teaching as immediately as I was reading it in detail. In doing so I think about how exciting it must have been for Ed Weiss to collaborate with such a sound tennis mind to create a 300 page book. I will be compelled to buy a copy if one does not appear magically in my letter box. But I haven't given up on that happening either…I am almost certain that if I mention it to one of my students they will spring one on me as a reciprocal gesture for the effort that I have extended to them.

Welby Van Horn represented all that is good about the sport of tennis. I am very happy that he was so closely associated with tennisplayer.net as his contributions make us so much richer as tennis teachers and students.

I found that movement of the foot mind expanding. I also found that it helps to practice this move while looking in the mirror. A small detail…but one that answers some of the fundamental questions that I have had about footwork since my resurgence as a teacher in the modern era of tennis. I start my first time beginners with the first statement…tennis is a game of energy and balance. That movement with the foot on the forehand stroke speaks volumes about this great master and how he has bridged the classic teachings to the modern game. Life is a game of connecting the dots…and Welby Van Horn certainly was a Great Master at doing just that.

I wasn't surprised that he advocated the use of mirrors and the fact that he was a golfer.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 10-16-2014, 01:40 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8627 users online. 6 members and 8621 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X