X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Zone Exist?

Let's discuss Damien Lafont's, "Does the Zone Exist"

Carpe Diem

Nice article with lots of refrences to studies, research and many experts in the field. Does the zone exist? I'd say yes. It happens in our sport although I feel that getting in the zone may only happen to athletes a few times in their life. Often times, "the zone" gets used anytime someone has a great performance (Cilic at US Open) thereby disregarding their actual performance level and their mental strength during the severity of the moment. Most times, great performances are a culmination of hard work, exquisite preparation and seizing the opportunity. Carpe Diem.

I think the bigger question is what defines "the zone" and how do we even attempt to get there?. Everyone has a different idea of what it is and therefore, may need completely different paths to get there. There are certainly some fundamentals of what you may need, such as self confidence, absolute tunnel vision focus, a clear goal in mind. Being in the zone may think and feel different for each and every athlete in every sport. It may even take a different process for two tennis players, one who is a mechanic, one who is a magician. Ask McEnroe how he felt when he got into the zone. Ask David Ferrer the same question. You'll propbably get different answers.

I look forward to seeing future articles from this author. Thanks for publishing John.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Is there a God?

Of course there is...if you believe.

The zone? That exists too...if you believe it does. Pete Rose explained his use of amphetamines in his baseball playing days. He said, "if you think it works it probably will."

Did I ever tell you about the time I was in the zone in basketball? Maybe it happened a few times but one in particular. I was at Ohio University in 1978 and I was pledging the Beta Theta Pi fraternity. My doubles partner and I were also teammates in the backcourt when we played basketball.

We went down to the gym as a group and started to play some pick up ball. It was the first time that I had ever played with my brothers. Of course I was out to impress them. I couldn't miss. Not even if I tried...and I did. I was trying the most ridiculous shots...after a while I would just pull up over half court and let it fly...nothing but net time and time again. I would dribble down into the corner and turnaround jump shot after turnaround jump shot...same thing. Nothing but net. It was an act of God. My brothers were impressed. They were awed is more like it. I acted like it was...well I wasn't acting. I was just being.

Touched by an angel. That is what I describe the feeling as. I'd felt it in my tennis too on occasion. Golf as well. It's a place inside of me. Dwelling in my DNA. Deep down genetic memories. It's like the "Journey to Ixtlan"...without the peyote. You can take the peyote also...but the tennis probably will suffer. I've been there. I have felt his presence. The other one also. But you see...I'm a Believer.

I am not certain about Santa Claus any longer...I was the last to stop believing. But I want to.

I think that I will read the article now.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

For me the zone is a state of inner calm. Nadal cannot get in the zone because he's pumped, pumped is different. I mention this because there is a video of Nadal in the article. I am not sure warriors types can get in the zone. I am remember Courier did once in the Davis Cup, but he visibly quietened down during that match and became visibly calm and internal...any one remember that match?
        Stotty

Comment

Maybe in following the point of the article pumped is the Nadal zone.

Comment

Little League

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Let's discuss Damien Lafont's, "Does the Zone Exist"
            My first of rare experiences with the "zone" came in little league baseball. I came up with the bases loaded, a young sub replacing the clean up hitter at the last minute. As the pitch came in I could see the seams like never before or since as the ball really did seem to be floating toward me. I vaguely experienced the ball going out, off my bat, then the next thing I remembered I was on base.

So, yes I'd say the zone is real and it is different.

The question is, can one induce the zone, call it up if you will, like hypnosis. Now, that's a how-to I'd sign up for <g>

Comment

Trying Too Hard Won't Work

I was talking recently with Allen Mee, a very competent engineer who gave rowing a big statewide boost in Kansas, had a boat dedicated to him with his name emblazoned on the bow, etc.

He and I recently raced at positions five and four in an eight-oared shell commemorating the 175th anniversary of Detroit Boat Club, the nation's oldest.

There were three boats and a lot of younger persons in the race.

Our boat had the oldest guys but far worse four different rowing styles in a sport where everybody must pretty much do the same thing.

So we didn't win. But Allen was telling me of winning races in his youth where he was zoned out. He said there was another person, himself, hovering in the air right beside him and a bit higher.

"That is exactly it," I said. I felt just the same way the few times I felt zoned out in singles tennis and won 6-0, 6-0 .

In winning the 1960 Dad Vail in Philadelphia by almost four lengths, at the time the largest rowing regatta in the United States, I felt zoned out from first stroke to last exactly in the way that Allen described.

A few weeks later we would have won the national collegiate championship if we hadn't been illegally cut off by the University of Washington rowing with only seven conscious oarsmen. The slumped over guy at least kept his oar out of the water. The Washington coxswain refused to use his rudder.

A few weeks later, at the 1960 Olympic Trials again on Lake Onondaga, Syracuse, which were run into a 25 mph quartering headwind, I did not feel similarly zoned out nor (I assume) did anyone else in our over-trained Brown "Cinderella" Crew, with the result that we didn't get to go to Rome.
              Last edited by bottle; 10-11-2014, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Study

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                My first of rare experiences with the "zone" came in little league baseball. I came up with the bases loaded, a young sub replacing the clean up hitter at the last minute. As the pitch came in I could see the seams like never before or since as the ball really did seem to be floating toward me. I vaguely experienced the ball going out, off my bat, then the next thing I remembered I was on base.

So, yes I'd say the zone is real and it is different.

The question is, can one induce the zone, call it up if you will, like hypnosis. Now, that's a how-to I'd sign up for <g>
                If you want to see the zone study kids watching cartoons or hackers working twenty hour shifts raged out on Red Bull. Hell, watch my kid play tennis. Children have such terrific levels of concentration. I think us adults have to much going on!
                Last edited by hockeyscout; 10-11-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8115 users online. 16 members and 8099 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X