No announcement yet.

2014 Shanghai Rolex Masters...ATP 1000...Shanghai, China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was working with a guy for a couple of weeks before his tournament this week end. An open level player. I had him concentrate on cross courts, heavy hitting balls, and serve and returning, with some volleying and over heads thrown into the mix. He won four open matches in 30 hrs. yesterday and won an open tournament for the first time in years. He improved faster than anyone I've ever seen. But he listened to what I had to say, about his game, what he needed to do, and his equipment. Very rare to be listened to now a days by someone younger. His toss on kick was too far in front and not at 9-11. He was not hitting the left side of the ball on cc back hands. He was making too many ues. He was not coiling enough on his serves, or staying sideways long enough, or arching his hip over the base line, or arching his back on contact, with his chest to the sky, or tossing forwards enough on firsts. His take back on his fh side was too far on returns. His volley was not dynamic enough. He was not snapping back on his overheads. He did not believe he could win. I challenged him to declare he was going to hit heavy balls and win. He did.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
      Very rare to be listened to now a days by someone younger.
      Geoff, I think everyone on this board respects your talents as a world class coach. I really wish for the benefit of the board here you'd discuss your thoughts more on technical and mental aspects of the game. Their is a lot of validity to you as your non-dogmatic in your approach to the game which is important. I really like how you understand how the game is athlete driven. Keep up the great work.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8607 users online. 8 members and 8599 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X