Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does stiffer string produce faster snap back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does stiffer string produce faster snap back?

Because it is not as elastic, and snaps back faster due to its lower rate of deflection, and lower rate of movement, and therefore: faster recoil. Ie, kevlar, often rated above 600 and some at 900, snaps back faster, with less deflection, less power, higher frequency of vibration, creates more spin given an identical tension/etc.. Faster snap back, at mid range tensions, creates faster rpms. Shorter shots with less power and more spin on them given the same rate: applied power: tension:ra, etc. How long before they make a braided kevlar, half copoly, and edged? If the snap back is too fast, it does not grab the ball as much, say on high tensions. If it's too slow, on low tensions, it does not grab the ball as much either depending on typical player frame head speed. Hence Rafa's mid range: 55/52lbs, on rpm blast: 224 stiffness rating, edged string, high ra: original apd frame, not cortex, head heavy, small grip, giving him so much snap back. Kevlar strung at reference tension will feel way stiffer than any other string, and that is why so many stringers string it lower by 10%. Not just to lower elbow damagestiffer strings inject higher frequencies of vibration into elbows), but to lower stiff feel, and create more deflection, and more snap back.

I recently did an experiment, where I used a Mantis 295,

Mantis Pro 295 Tennis Racquet Specs:

Head Size: 98 sq. in. (632.26 cm)
    Length: 27in (68.58cm)
    Strung Weight: 10.8oz (306.17g)
    Balance: 5 points Head Light
    Swingweight: 302
    Stiffness: 64
    Beam Width: 21.5mm / 21.5mm / 21.5mm /
    Power Level: Medium
    String Pattern: 16 Mains & 19 Crosses

Read More http://www.tennisthis.com/tennis-rac...ro-295-review/
    a very low powered frame. Strung it with gut at 60lbs. INjected silicone into the handle. Added lead to the entire hoop. Crosses were L-tec 4s, a teflon injected squoval shaped cross with very lubricated snap back and high cof. The first three crosses: Shortest at top: 55lbs. next down: 60lbs. Third down: 65lbs: fourth down: 45lbs. Fifth down: 45lbs. All the way down: back up to 65lbs. The effect was this: Serving power and accuracy increased to a high degree (hitting in the lower range area on cross), and yet, ground strokes were comparitively low/mid range in power, yet high in spin (16 x 19). I hit three aces in a row against a guy who just won an open tournament. ( 9 out of 10 first serves in, and some at ridiculously high pace and accuracy for my normal range.) INcreased twist/kick. Then the gut snapped at grommet shear.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 10-12-2014, 10:16 PM.

Wow. I may drive over with a frame for you...

Comment

You don't like to mod your sticks. But vs touch/l-tec 4s are ridiculous for serving when the vibration/frequency matches the frame's. Like nothing I've ever seen; and I've seen a lot.

Another string experiment I did today: took a pro stock babolat, extended version, injected silicone, leaded the hoop. Got a set of 1.10mm (19g) tour bite. Used a polarized mount on frame two point not four point mount. "Squashed" the frame so it extended before stringing mains. Strung mains at 80lbs. (Squash/elongated to combat this.) Used same crosses, tb 19g. First cross string down from top: 52lbs. 2nd: 57lbs. 3rd:62lbs: 4th: 45lbs, and all the rest down: 45lbs. Last string cross: 65lbs. Result: great spin, and decent launch angle affecting great depth on returns. Deadly kicks. Not bad first serves. Great weight on angled back hands cc. Top end forehand rpms. Deadly drop shot feel and back spin. Deadly flat shots when chosen. Very good accuracy when hit for it. A joyful thing when an experiment works so well!

Tb is string of the year poly, topping alu, and 4s. http://www.stringforum.net/string2013.php

Other top spin strings: for slice:1.20mm bhb7

For top: Dryeex black edge 1.25mm, and tierone firewire 1.30mm
      Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 10-23-2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

My experiment today: SAme tour bite set up, but pre stretched the mains only, with same frame: pro stock extended babolat. Stretched the mains 2", and left the crosses normal. Used shea butter and a rosin bag, to lubritcate the hitting bed area, and did the same with yesterday's experiment. Did not feel as good as non prestretched mains. Tension feels far higher on stretched.
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 10-24-2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2788 users online. 4 members and 2784 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X