2014 Stockholm Open…ATP 250…Stockholm, Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Stockholm Open…ATP 250…Stockholm, Sweden

Last year's event was sort of Grigor Dimitrov's coming out party here on the forum as highly esteemed contributor klacr drew our attention…our fire. This years event features his very own Tomas Berdych…rumored to be inroads or initial talks with Ivan "The Terrible" Lendl. If only he had come along soon enough to teach Tomas that backhand…it would have been a different story for Berdych.

Be that as it may…Sweden's hopeful Elias Ymer has already exited the stadium due to a first round drubbing at the hands of Jeremy Chardy. He who takes too big of a back swing on his forehand. Is there such a thing these days as being politically incorrect when you are speaking of a tennis players fundamentals. We hope nobody is insulted here…fragile egos and egg shell minds not withstanding.

Robin Söderling is hosting this year's event. He's looking for stuff to do seeing as he hasn't played a tennis match in over three years. He's the tournament director and I wonder just how many players he can alienate in his first year. He's not what you would call the worldsmostgraciousperson if you know what i mean. Certainly Fafa Nadal won't be playing here anytime soon. Robin is also a tennis ball manufacturer too…did you know that? No…of course you didn't. I don't anticipate the balls selling anywhere outside of Sweden. Of course our club bought them at the behest of my new partner who also hails from Tibro, Sweden…the same city as Robin grew up in and alienated. It's a rather mediocre ball. It's a cheap ball, but you know what they say…you get what you pay for.

But Grigor is back and Berdych is in the house…the house that the great John McEnroe nearly brought down some thirty years ago with a volcanic demonstration of American tennis passion and anger in a match against Anders Jarryd. What a scene…slashing bottles and drenching the King of Sweden. We will never see the likes of that again…will we? Uh oh…1984 again. There's that year again.

Although yesterday I was training my players to start yelling at their feet in their matches if they needed a wake up call. No sense in sleep walking through matches and taking the whole thing laying down.

Can an ATP 250 tournament stir up any interest at all? Just maybe…if Dimitrov and Berdych meet in the final. That might give us something to talk about…other than each other. Know what I mean?
    Last edited by don_budge; 10-15-2014, 12:19 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

The talks with Lendl and Berdych broke down and they could not come to terms on a deal

I'm disappointed by this result as I'm sure t would be a done deal. Lendl was unwilling to travel and give Berdych the necessary weeks the Top 10 player requested. Lendl told him he is "too busy". Sad that Ivan cannot help out a fellow Czech. With that said, despite my tennis job and a few other business ventures, I may be short on time as well but I will go out of my way and make the time for Berdych. Tomas, call me! #CoachKyle

As for the Stockholm Open, Robin Soderling is the director I believe.

Yes, I started a thread last year regarding this event. Its a very special place. Some great history within those stadium court walls. Berdych/Dimitrov final would be ideal. Give hese Swedish fans a great final that they deserve.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Jack Sock and Donald Young...

Jack Sock has one of those "Donald Young" moments coming soon in his match with Jeremy Chardy. Chardy is currently ranked #34 or so in the world and Sock is ranked #51. To put a pounding on Chardy would do a heap of good for the confidence of Jack Sock who has steadily moved his ranking up in the past year. Donald Young may have seen another opportunity slip by when he succumbed to Leonardo Mayer in the first round.

Climbing that ladder is a steep climb and the fall backwards is dauntingly fast sometimes. Ask Ryan Harrison.
      don_budge

Comment

#1 seed Tomas Berdych into the quarters. Won't say anything more about him until he is holding up the trophy on Sunday.

Jack Sock with an upset over Jeremy Chardy. Confidence boost indeed for the young American. Maybe there is a future. And he plays doubles as well.

Dimitrov lurking on the bottom half of the draw. Defending champ looking to capture good vibes and championship caliber tennis that helped him here last year.

Sadly, the Nordic's best hope, the man making his 15h consecutive appearance at this event and one of my favorites, a man who I've come to know and has practiced at my facility in Florida, Jarkko Nieminen was ousted in the 2nd round by Fernando Verdasco.

But the real star of the show this week. Much like they are every year. The wooden bleachers. The creaks and cracks that permeate the tennis hall with each movement of the spectators. Something magical about that. It has character. It may not be of monumental proportions like Ashe stadium at US Open, and it may not have picturesque scenery of Mountains and desert and a nobu sushi restaurant nearby like Indian Wells. But Kungliga Tennishallen has its own special ambiance. The acoustics of the ball striking and support from the fans is unlike anywhere else. A great tournament indeed.

Federer, Becker, Edberg, Stich, McEnroe, Wilander, Lendl, Ashe. Many champions have played this event. Important we give this unique Scandinavian gem its respect.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Jack Sock…standing on the tenth. Even par looking down the fairway.

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          Jack Sock with an upset over Jeremy Chardy. Confidence boost indeed for the young American. Maybe there is a future. And he plays doubles as well.

Dimitrov lurking on the bottom half of the draw. Defending champ looking to capture good vibes and championship caliber tennis that helped him here last year.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Jack Sock is into the third round at an ATP 250 event. I don't know if he has been here or how many times. But he is "looking down the fairway" on a shot that he may or may not have had the opportunity to try. Here he has the second seed and defending champion in his sights and the question as bottle put is…what is it going to take?

It's is going to take confidence. Confidence in believing that he deserves to be in this position and not only that…believing that he deserves to win. Not thinking that he has a chance to win but believing that he deserves to win. He's put in the work…he is getting the results. Now it is a matter of pushing the envelope just a tad further than he has dared to go in the past.

I don't particularly care for his game. I don't think that he will make such a great poster child for the American tennis game. I don't think he can take down Grigor Dimitrov. But then again it isn't my problem…the problem belongs to Jack Sock. He has to dare.
          don_budge

Comment

Federer, Becker, Edberg, Stich, McEnroe, Wilander, Lendl, Ashe. Many champions have played this event. Important we give this unique Scandinavian gem its respect.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Now those guys were entertainment.

Stotty

Comment

Brilliant song choice Stotty. Well done.

The Stockholm Open is into the semis. Dimitrov weathered the storm the was Jack Sock. Won in three sets. Dimitrov faces a mercurial Bernard Tomic in semis. The other half could be one-way traffic with the #1 seed (who I shall not refer to by name for the remainder of the week) faces German qualifier Matthias Bachinger. Let's see what happens.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

A Horse With No Name…Tomas Berdych and Bernard Tomic

The Stockholm Open is into the semis. Dimitrov weathered the storm the was Jack Sock.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Grigor "Kid Galavant" Dimitrov…a moment in time.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

Jack Sock had another opportunity. An opportunity of an escalated nature and he showed that he was up to the moment. But he fell short…again. Oh well, you weather the storm without being happy about it. Vowing to return with vengeance in your blood. To seek the heart of your rival. It's a tough process and there is no easy route. We are all losers in the beginning until you learn how to win. There are levels of the game too…as Jack realized once again. He took a set off of the world's #10 but that can't be enough. It's a good sign but nothing to hang his hat on. It's a step of sorts, isn't it? He has to be immediately setting his sights higher. It's a tough road to hoe.

Grigor Dimitrov was in Jack Sock's position back in the middle of 2012 and he has climbed to the #10 ranking in the world. Grigor seems to have plenty of steam left in the tank. Plenty of oxygen and he continues his assault on the men's professional tennis rankings. Jack Sock is only 22…about the same age Grigor was back in 2012. A good showing in the Stockholm Open always bodes well for the future.

What about Bernard Tomic? Mercurial indeed…up and down in the tube of the thermometer. First round he defeats a no-name (as of yet) Swede ranked #371 in the world. Then he straight sets #3 seed Kevin Anderson and in the quarters he defeats Fernando Verdasco 06 64 63. He get bageled the first set then comes back and guts it out in the next two for the win. That isn't then kind of performance that we have come to expect from Tomic as of late who has been labeled more of a quitter than anything. The match up against Dimitrov should be an interesting one…depending upon which Bernard Tomic shows up.
                Last edited by don_budge; 10-18-2014, 12:37 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                don_budge

Comment

#2 seed and Defending Champ Grigor Dimitrov is in finals. Had a nice match against Tomic. High quality shotmaking (slice backhands included) and a little volley action as well. Dimitrov too athletic for the young Aussie.

Dimitrov will face the #1 seed (whom I shall not mention by name)

Hoping for a high quality final and I think we should get that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

The 2014 Stockholm Open Finals...

#2 seed and Defending Champ Grigor Dimitrov is in finals. Had a nice match against Tomic. High quality shotmaking (slice backhands included) and a little volley action as well. Dimitrov too athletic for the young Aussie.

Dimitrov will face the #1 seed (whom I shall not mention by name)

Hoping for a high quality final and I think we should get that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    I tried to watch some of both matches yesterday. To tell the truth…it was boring. Some brave soul is going to have to take the bull by the horns and fix it. It cannot go on like this…or can it? I say the same thing about life in general. It cannot go on like this. But enough of the Orwellian world we live in. Sweden leads the way by the way.

Somehow I found raking the leaves and cutting the lawn one last time more entertaining to say nothing of more healthy. The fresh air filled my lungs all day as I took periodic breaks as it took me the better part of the whole day. It's easy being a keyboard warrior but a different matter when you have a rake in your hands…and many leaves-less trees surrounding you. Hours of monotonous motion…repetitive motion. Some whimsical analysis of the strokes of the rake…the play of the hips, shoulders and arms. A sore left hip and a sore right knee…left overs from a week on the tennis court. Teaching. Repeating myself over and over.

Teaching beginners is good training for teaching the more advanced student. Excellent training. I remember my Argentine Tango teacher telling me that I should train leading some of the "refrigerators" in the dance class around the floor…the bigger and more clumsy ladies. If you can lead them you sure as hell can lead the ballerinas. She was right. She had the same birthday as me.

Applying fundamentals…stressing fundamentals…bells and whistles aside. Welby Van Horn. Key board warriors…typing sixty words a minute. Proper finger on the proper key. Doing it right…the way it should be done. The way it could be done. Manifesto morphs into Pulitzer Prize prose. It's technique. Without thought. Knowing without thinking. Without judgement. Without analysis. I am in the zone. Thoughts pouring out into words…a stream of consciousness. Painting pictures…of Stockholm. Like Tomas Berdych in an interview after his match expressing his appreciation for this ancient Nordic city and the people that currently inhabit it. He seems to still have a boy inside of him that is having fun and speaking out. Untroubled with the prospect of meeting Grigor Dimitrov in the finals today. He's enjoying himself. It's easy to see.

It rained last night. Puddles marked a trail out to the stable this morning. It seemed to be unusually warm. A lot like Indian Summer in Michigan at this time of year. The horses talking as we came nearer to their abode. Grabbing armloads of hay to take out to the fields. The hip and the knee feeling much better today…perhaps as much as ten years younger. It's amazing what a day away from the courts can do for the body. So why do I miss it so much? The love of teaching the game is my only answer. The sound of the ball meeting strings. The sound of my voice. Calmly explaining something that I have explained countless times before. Yet it sounds like the first time. Like Sting singing "Message in a Bottle" for the umpteenth time. A Rock Star. Message in a bottle…message in a bottle.

The horses trot out to take their positions on the three piles of hay. They settle in after some posturing and making certain everyone knows who is boss. I will help to take them in the stable at the end of the day. Get them into the barn without incident. It is no problem…they know the drill. The routine. But they are not afraid to improvise. Mother and daughter. A redhead too. All mares. Thank God for the animals. Thank God for a day of rest.

Have a wonderful day…everyone! Good luck Thomas and Grigor! Good luck Marin and Robert Bautista! Andy and David too! You are going to need it.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 10-19-2014, 01:43 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

First set to Dimitrov…7-5

Second set point…5-6, 30-40…Berdych serving. Short ball to mid-court backhand side of Berdych. A short cross court approach with one hand and underspin. Dimitrov's response is down the line and Berdych volleys mediocrely cross court and Dimitrov lifts a lob high into the air. Berdych misses the overhead. A routine overhead.

Set to Dimitrov.
                      don_budge

Comment

Match to Berdych…57, 64, 64

After a marginal first set Tomas Berdych stepped up to the baseline and was a real man about it. He took charge from the backcourt and manhandled young "Kid Galavant". Tomas served out the match with an ace on match point.

I would like to see Tomas take off that baseball cap. The match was indoors so what is the hat about? The guy has a nice face and a nice head of hair…it seems pointless to wear a hat indoors. Perhaps a nice H&M headband would give him a bit more appeal.

He reminds me a bit of Eric Stolz the actor. A sort of charmingly innocent sort who doesn't seem to get ruffled easily. It was nice to see him win…I know someone who will be really happy even if he won't mention him by name. Until the deed was done. Superstitions...
                        Last edited by don_budge; 10-19-2014, 08:13 AM.
                        don_budge

Comment

The #1 seed wins it! in Stockholm!!
                          Three sets over Dimitrov. The #1 seed choked away that first set but came back strong. Ups and downs throughout the match but the Czech was too strong.

As for mentioning his name...well, not doing it this week seemed to give him the title. Therefore, this player will remain nameless next week when he plays in Valencia. He is the #2 seed in the draw. Therefore, I shall call him the #2 seed once play commences in Valencia. Hoping that brings him some luck. I will only begin to call him by his real name if he loses and the streak is snapped. Is it superstitious and silly? Yes.
                          If it is the best thing that helps him win aside from him hiring me as part time coach/consultant than I will gladly live with that.

Another successful and exciting year at the If Stockholm Open.

I missed the final as I was on court all morning teaching my members. Just arrived home and tennis channel has begun showing it again. Almost as if they knew I'd be curious, hopeful and proud. Serendipitous.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Tbird is best on fast surfaces, hence beating Roger at Wimby. Deadly fh on the run cross court, reminiscent of Sampras. I wish I had his serve and his fh. Don't bet on his serve and volley game though! Sucks at that. If he revamped his bh, stood further back on returns, added a serve volley game at times, he would win wimby as well. Another alu power guy.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9789 users online. 4 members and 9785 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X