Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Valencia Open…ATP 500…Valencia, Spain

The draw for the 2014 Valencia Open...

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

This thread is dedicated to Stefan Kozlov. Even if he only makes it to the locker room after his first match against Martin Klizan. Stefan is a player to watch although he is only 16 years old now. His ranking is up to 441 in the world since his fine performance at the Challenger event in Sacramento.

Andy Murray had a great win against David Ferrer yesterday in Vienna…he beat the "EveryReady Energizer Bunny" 75 26 75. Ferrer served for the set at 5 games to 3 in the third set but he didn't get the horse in the barn. You gotta get that horse in the barn I tell ya. I was watching some of the match and Murray was grimacing and clutching late in the third as per usual…but he was hanging in on every single point. Neutralizing with his rather uncanny ability and finally he had his back to the wall and just didn't let up. He hit some perfectly timed shots at the most opportune times and that was it. It was over before you knew it. An interesting performance…it was an entertaining finish to a David Ferrer match which is no "small feat" in itself. They are destined to meet in the semis in Valencia if everything goes to form. Wouldn't we love to see little Stefan meet Andy in the quarters.

Other than that…not a whole lot of interest subjectively speaking. But wait a minute who is that down there at the bottom of the draw. Why…it is none other than the 2014 Stockholm Open winner…I can't think of his name off of the top of my head. Let's see if this superstition stuff holds up. Take off the hat what's your name…get an H&M headband. Sex appeal.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

#2 seed and Kozlov

The top half of this Valencia draw is loaded with Ferrer, Murray, Anderson, Kohlschreiber, Youzhny. The bottom half where the #2 seed/Stockhom champion is wide open. Perhaps another deep run or even a 2nd title in as many weeks is very possible. Appreciate that don_budge is following my superstition of not mentioning the #2 seed by name but he doesn't need to go out of his way.

The young hope Stefan Kozlov went down to Martin Klizan 6-3, 6-3. He only won 61% of his 1st serve points and 50% of his second. He was broken 4 times in the match. Klizan is a streaky player, as we witnessed in Beijing against nadal and US Open vs. Berdych. Nice of Valencia to award this young American a wildcard and he will have others come his way. As he grows into his body and his strokes have more bite on them, he will get into these events with no wildcard and hopefully create some upsets and a nice run for himself. Until then, it's all just potential. But potential that is worth getting excited about. A young player with brains and a dynamic court sense, nothing wrong with that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

At least it's hard and not clay. Hard indoors favors the un-named.

Comment

Today in Valencia, top 3 seeds will be playing, (Ferrer, #2 seed and Stockholm Open Champ and Murray). Bottom half of the draw is wide open for the #2 seed. Only dangers are Feliciano Lopez who peaked in Asia and Gilles Simon. However, Gilles Simon who beat the #2 seed in Shanghai took one on the chin yesterday to Dolgopolov losing 60 63.

John Isner lost to a always game ready Tommy Robredo. After a tight first set breaker that the American lost, Robredo's confidence grew as Isner's shrunk as he debated the possibility of having to grindfor three sets. Te 6'10" Georgia Bulldog said 'No Mas"

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Snooze alert...

Ferrer vs. Bellucci…EveryReady Energizor Bunny. What more needs to be said? Murray vs. Anderson…clutch and grimace artist. Ho hum. Chardy vs. Busta…phewww. Robredo vs. Andujar…hmmmm.

Things are looking to be a bit sleepy in Valencia. Maybe a Ferrer vs. Murray might possibly give it a shot in the arm. It's a snoozer. Tomas Berdych? Sad but true…gone.
          don_budge

Comment

After the uninspired performance of Tomas Berdych in the first round of Valencia, I no longer have to avoid the name and call him the #2 seed this week. I can go back to his actual name. Sadly, He would have given this tournament a bit more appeal for me. There s not one player left in this draw that fascinates me. Sorry.

If Murray wins Valencia, he can move all the way up to #5 in the race to London.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Head…The Official Ball (Girl) Vision of Loveliness

Watching Andy Murray versus Tommy Robredo I am impressed by a couple of things. Namely the girl behind Andy Murray's chair. That is one handsome specimen…nothing masculine about her. In my humble opinion…a vision of loveliness.

The tennis isn't bad either. Robredo took the first set and Murray hung tough in the tie-breaker saving a couple of match points to take the second set. Now it is into the third and deciding set.

Besides the handsome specimen behind Murray there seems to be an inordinate number of hot Spanish women in the audience. It could be that I have been living in the woods too long. Feminine creatures…visions of loveliness.
              Last edited by don_budge; 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

Back to back Hombres…Ferrer and Robredo

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

The tennis isn't bad either. Robredo took the first set and Murray hung tough in the tie-breaker saving a couple of match points to take the second set. Now it is into the third and deciding set.
                Well…the sweet thing stuck around for the bitter end. Which in turn motivated me to hang around. Murray defeats Robredo 36 76 76 with a 10 points to 8 tiebreaker in the third set. Robredo had five match points and couldn't get the horse in the barn. Coupled with his last defeat at the hands of Murray he had a combined ten match points that he didn't convert.

Murray showed quite a lot of talent and experience. It was vintage Murray…including a lot of grimacing and a couple of clutches. Including a lot of anguished looks to Annie…his beloved coach. In the third set tie-break for instance he served a second serve on a match point for Robredo to the ad court…it was a second serve that Robredo it reverse cross court with a forehand that chased Murray clear off of the court. Somehow Murray chased it down and returned it to a part of the court where Robredo could not dictate things further…they rallied and Murray ended up sneaking into the net on an opportunity approach to putting away a forehand volley.

Robredo waited at the net…leaning over the net giving Murray the "bird" with both hands. Just kidding though as the two exchanged pleasantries…the classic tennis finish. Beat each others brains out for a couple of hours and come to the net…say something nice and shake hands.

Andy is looking like he is returning to form. He may not be at his best level but he is inching his way there. He showed considerable pluck and verve in beating Ferrer and Robredo back to back. A couple of tough hombres.
                don_budge

Comment

That Murray-Robredo match was ridiculously exhausting. Highly competitive and consistently frustrating.

Sadly, Robredo had the match and title in front of him on a match point on Murray's serve when he unleashed a wicked inside/out short angle return and pulled Murray well off the court into the bleachers. A simple transition forward towards the net and a put away volley would have done it. Instead, he second guessed himself and stayed back, resetting the point and giving Murray time to get his teeth back in it. A few points later, Murray wins.

Moral of the story...

Embrace the net.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 10240 users online. 7 members and 10233 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X