Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 BNP Paribas Masters…ATP 1000…Paris, France

The draw for the 2014 BNP Paribas Masters in Paris, France:

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

The ink is barely dry on Roger Federer's win in Basel, Switzerland and it is off to Gay Paris for this indoor spectacle.

Looking at the draw…it looks like a great draw for Roger. Only the unnamed #5 seed or Stanislas Wawrinka looming in the semifinal. Possible challenge from Milos Raonic in the quarterfinals? Milos is looking tired…lurching towards the finish line.

At any rate…the year end #1 ranking is up for grabs. Federer a mere 500 points behind the front runner Novak Djokovic with 2500 points possible in the last two events. Paris and London. A fitting European ending…don't you think so?
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Regaining the number 1 ranking at his age is quite an accomplishment, and it looks more likely than not. At the beginning of this year, I would have felt it would have been even more impressive than winning another slam. I still feel that way.

Comment

Nishikori, Berdych, Ferrer, Raonic, Dimitrov all need to step up to qualify for London or hope for epic failure from the others.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Question...

Past results, draws and seeds from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Why would all 16 seeded players get byes into the second round? Wouldn't it make more sense…wouldn't it be more just to give those places to players that richly deserve a shot at playing and competing in a ATP 1000 event? This seems grossly unjust and unfair and I wonder whose interests it fulfills.
        Last edited by don_budge; 10-27-2014, 01:41 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge

Comment

First round matches of interest…to the forum

Gael Monfils vs. Joao Sousa
          David Goffin vs. Lukas Rosol
          Donald Young vs. Fernando Verdasco
          Dominic Thiem vs. Alexandr Dolgopolov
          Jack Sock vs. Pablo Andujar

Player of interest named first…except in the case of Thiem and Dolgopolov.
          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            Gael Monfils vs. Joao Sousa
            David Goffin vs. Lukas Rosol
            Donald Young vs. Fernando Verdasco
            Dominic Thiem vs. Alexandr Dolgopolov
            Jack Sock vs. Pablo Andujar

Player of interest named first…except in the case of Thiem and Dolgopolov.
            Thiem vs. Dolgopolov had potential...but it was a dud as Thiem showed his hunger and the Ukrainian showed his lack of in the 3rd set. Paris is known for their baked goods. Dolgopolov got a bagel losing 0-6.

Verdasco too strong, too mature for Young. Two lefties battling

Pablo Andujar also got baked goods delivered to him in his 6-1, 6-1 loss to Jack Sock. Usually breadsticks, but in Paris , they were baguettes.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

First round Fodder…Parisian Hour Style

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Thiem vs. Dolgopolov had potential...but it was a dud as Thiem showed his hunger and the Ukrainian showed his lack of in the 3rd set. Paris is known for their baked goods. Dolgopolov got a bagel losing 0-6.

Verdasco too strong, too mature for Young. Two lefties battling

Pablo Andujar also got baked goods delivered to him in his 6-1, 6-1 loss to Jack Sock. Usually breadsticks, but in Paris , they were baguettes.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Bagels and baguettes. Very clever. Send me some mailing instructions klacr…I should need them in a couple of days.

I watched a bunch of Parisian foreplay yesterday. In Paris they don't need so much foreplay…as indicated by the giving of the free passes in the first round to the sixteen seeds. They have only an hour to take care of business so they figure lets get right to the main course and not fool around. So be it. They can have their cake and eat it too. Afterall…who was it that said, "Let them eat cake."

Dominic Thiem and Alexandr Dolgopolov had it going on but then Alexandr had to go home. He is recovering from surgery and he has shown signs of recovery. It's interesting…I remember my dear old tennis coach telling me that it takes the professionals about five tournaments to get to where they want to be. Competitively speaking wise. It takes them five tournaments to work everything out to where they want to peak. It looks like Alexandr will take it home and do the continuing physical rehabilitation knowing that he can still play with the big guns…he has only to get it right physically. Dominic on the other hand has a huge re-match with Stan Wawrinka going on next round. Two of the biggest one hand backhands on the tour and I am guessing that the serve and forehand of young Thiem are slightly more powerful than Wawrinka's. Then it will be a question of consistency and sustainability. Anyone?

Jerzy "Joe" Janowicz returns to the crime scene of 2012. That is where he mislead us to believe that he might be a contender for the top ten or higher in the near future. He dropped his match to a man who has built some confidence of his own on the Challenger tour ala David Goffin. Sam has won three events in a row and he knocked off Jerzy convincingly in the third. Again it is a matter of the tennis player getting sufficient match play in to get ready for the event that they want to perform at. Feliciano Lopez next for Sudden Sam. This time his preparation leaves nothing to be desired…he has done his homework and look for him to make it interesting.

Jack Sock's match was a wash. I was a little shocked at the skill level of Pablo Andujar on the Paris hard courts which are reputedly very slow. Donald Young once again took it right to another big name on tour but wasn't able to get the horse in the barn. He might be another candidate to take his act and "demote" himself to the Challenger tour to get himself over the hump confidence wise. I don't know though…I can't see that he has a potential weapon that really penetrate the fortresses of the big guns.

So klacr…why do the seeds get the free pass?
              Last edited by don_budge; 10-27-2014, 11:29 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

So klacr…why do the seeds get the free pass?
                Depends on size of ATP Masters series draw. Paris has given the top 16 passes which is BS for a 48 player field. they could and should have given another 8 players entry into the field and only given top 8 byes.

It is a 64 player draw but with only 48 players in the field. With only 48 players that leaves 16 open slots. The byes will always go to the seeded players until there are no more to give out. For the small amount of players in the Paris draw, there are way too many seeds and sadly way too many byes. Indian Wells and Miami have 128 sized draws but gave entry to just 96 players, giving byes to the 32 seeded players. Top players getting free passes.

The rich getting richer.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Last edited by klacr; 10-28-2014, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Stereo Federer...

I am watching "Roger Federer" in stereo. Roger is playing Jeremy Chardy…on serve in the first and playing some rather uninspired tennis for the moment. Grigor "Baby Fed" Dimitrov is playing Pablo Cuevas in the other match up 3-0 in the first. Not bad for a dark and dreary autumn day in the Swedish countryside. My dog at my feet.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 10-29-2014, 07:42 AM.
                  don_budge

Comment

Moving in stereo

Federer looked a bit distracted and not fully engaged. Even though it went three sets. Federer in Stereo
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8RT9yAzYXE

Berdych made a bit of a mess against Mannarino last night. He needs to reach the semis to book a spot in London for the World Tour finals. If he doesn't reach the semis he needs some help from Dimitrov, Raonic to lose early.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

A week away from the club…I wish I was in Paris

Federer looked a bit distracted and not fully engaged. Even though it went three sets. Federer in Stereo
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8RT9yAzYXE

Berdych made a bit of a mess against Mannarino last night. He needs to reach the semis to book a spot in London for the World Tour finals. If he doesn't reach the semis he needs some help from Dimitrov, Raonic to lose early.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      I have had a week away from the club. The kids are off from their regular training on account that it is the fall break from school. The dilapidated little club is also having some insulation put into the entire ceiling. I don't know why…partly acoustics and partly energy conservation. In some ways I think they should knock it down and build again. But that makes too much sense.

During the week, I have been doing some repairs of my own. Surprise…I feel 15 years younger. Physiotherapist plus exercises for the hip and knee…working wonders. The rest certainly doesn't hurt…in fact the rest is the key. Recovery! The body needs time to recover. Being on the court five or six hours a day with gravity working its magic on my body is getting to be a bit "heavy" I think. I have knocked off the weekly singles practice session as well. There is less to recover from now.

But the point is…with all of this time on my hands and in a resting position there is no better way to kill some time than watching the 2014 BNP Paribas Masters and reading "Racquet Head Speed" on the tennisplayer.net forum.

I was watching Federer too…in stereo. See below. I prefer this live version of the Cars…plus it was 1984 in Houston. There's that year again. I had a positively facsinating story to tell about a visit to Houston back around then. But it belongs on the Penthouse forum…which I actually contemplated writing to at one point. I never did. But back to Federer in stereo…the real Fed was just warming up. Sort of like the fellow that 10splayer put up for sacrifice in the "Racquet Head Speed" thread. But still he managed to win of course. Even if he was only "going through the motions"…like the dude in the video. It was Roger's first round in Paris and he only played as hard as he had to. Tennis players are trained to make it "look easy" and sometimes they get a little too caught up making it look easy…then suddenly they find themselves in a dicey situation. Federer is the lucky one…he can turn it on at will. Especially when he was younger…it was the afterburners then goodbye. Good night. Yesterday he left Jeremy Chardy smelling smoke. Roger turned it on…when he needed to and only then.

Now Roger has only a wildcard in the next round to contend with named Lucas Pouille has wildly entertained his hometown Parisian crowd. It may as well be Ferdinand Celine as "The Real Thing" is planning on showing up for the next round. I think it best that Federer bring it to the next round as Lucas has already sent Karlovic and Fognini packing in straight sets.

The other Federer…Grigor Dimitrov did not have the luxury of screwing around in his warmup against Pablo Cuevas and he summarily dismissed him because now Andy Murray is waiting in the wings for Grigor. Grigor would dearly like to make it a trifecta over Andy in 2014 to even up their head to head at 3-3.

But I have watched them all. The unique two court setup at the BNP has two matches showing simultaneously all day long so I have just left the computer on the whole time and either watched the matches or checked in on them from time to time. One of the best matches so far was David Ferrer over David Goffin. David and David. Sounds like a rock band. Welcome to the Boomtown. "All that money makes such a succulent sound…" They were rocking it on the court the other day as well. Tomas certainly did make a mess of Mannarino as you noted but he quickly can redeem himself with a couple of wins to get to the semifinals against Federer. Wawrinka over Thiem was another match that I watched a lot of. Raonic and Sock. Poille versus both Karlovic and Fognini.

Listen to me…it ain't so easy. David & David.

Robredo and Pospisil…I like the Canadians game but my vision is that he drops the two handed backhand and advances to the net regularly. He's perfect for this type of play and the two hands holds him back. Another big guy playing the junior game. Vasek has one nice looking service motion and with some tinkering with his tactics he could find himself with a galloping start to the net. But it isn't going to happen. None of it. Never.

So I have watched it all…nearly parts of it anyways. The courts are really slow and the play is really boring. Looking at the racquets…I see snowshoes. I see huge graphite clubs instead of little magic wands. When I stare at it long enough sometimes I can almost force myself to see them playing with wood. These fellows are wonderful athletes…if only they were given the chance. Don't get me wrong…it is quite alright if the geriatric group uses a big racquet as well as using a crutch if needed. But for these professionals that are so big and healthy it seems like overkill. I look at David Ferrer and that big Prince of his. I almost get angry remembering when they started to show up in the tournaments I was playing in thirty years ago. Now that was tennis.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 10-30-2014, 01:52 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge

Comment

The Commentatoes...

Annabelle Croft…Barry Cowan…Miles Maclagan. Are these the names? Did I get them right? If I had one wish…it would be to have a shot at being on one of these shows. Maybe with Mats Wilander.

Interesting line of discussion. After the Tomas Berdych and Feliciano Lopez match there was much discussion about the tactics and game play of both players. Net play was at the forefront of the talk. The lack of it. The Lopez net play…the potential of the Berdych net play. The Berdych approach game. The ABC's of tennis.

Next on their agenda was the Stan Wawrinka plight since his 2014 Australian Open triumph. In so many words they were discussing the "target in the middle of Wawrinka's back". Managing the champions mantle…the ability to wear it. It comes with a bull's eye square in the middle of the back.

These have been a couple of the topics that I have found to be very interesting the past couple of years. Now the commentatoes are catching on.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 10-30-2014, 06:42 AM.
                        don_budge

Comment

Kevin Anderson versus Tomas Berdych...

Anderson next up for Tomas Berdych. He defeats Stanislas Wawrinka 67 75 76. Back and forth it went and Anderson just pimped him out at the end…as my good old buddy Lenny used to say. Kevin Anderson using a new brand of racquet…new at least in tennis. A Srixon. It's an established name in golf already. I saw that he didn't have the old Head equipment. It's an old habit…noticing everything about opponents…contestants. Something doesn't look the same…I pick it up. Berdych leads head to head…11-0. Twelve's a charm?

Speaking of picking up on things. Grigor Dimitrov warming up with Andy Murray getting set to have a go of it. Grigor has a new racquet…or at least a new paint job. A black Wilson. Slightly bigger head? Following the lead of the Master…Federer. He's good to go against Andy. At least he said he was in an interview. This will be an excellent test for him…to see where he is at. The commentatoes are once again talking about tactical options…discussing Dimitrov looking to get into the net. But the court is very slow in Paris whereas it was fairly quick in Switzerland. They are good to go. Edge to Murray? Because of the slowness of the court? We shall see.

Peter Fleming in the booth. John McEnroe's favourite doubles partner. When asked who was the greatest doubles team of all-time he said…"McEnroe and anyone". Peter is full of interesting insights. He being a classic player at heart.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 10-30-2014, 07:06 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge

Comment

A pigeon

Berdych vs. Anderson H2H

Berdych 11 wins
                            Anderson 0 Wins

Looking for #12 tomorrow and guaranteed qualification to London.

Berdych would become just the 19th player to reach and compete in the ATP Year-End Tour Finals 5 consecutive years. Players not able to achieve that feat...Vilas, Borg, Roddick, Nadal, Moya...

Just sayin'.

Just one more victory for Tberd.

Djokovic playing Murray tomorrow. Murray finding his form but Djokovic should be able to find a higher gear.

Federer plays Raonic. Time for Federer to humble Raonic yet again.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

A Global Perspective…2014 BNP Paribas Indoors

Berdych vs. Anderson H2H

Berdych 11 wins
                              Anderson 0 Wins

Looking for #12 tomorrow and guaranteed qualification to London.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              It's a tough decision about how to root for this enigma…this Tomas Berdych. It was quite an interesting interview with the three commentators yesterday. Annabelle Croft, Barry Cowan and Miles Maclagan. First of all that Annabelle Croft sort of grows on you. She seems nice and soft and feminine. What? I'm not dead yet!

But anyways…Tomas Berdych. They discussed Tomas pretty much inside out and his tactics against a guy like Feliciano Lopez. For once I thought the the idol chatter was developing a realistic tone. Much of the discussion was about the hypothetical net play and approach tactics of Berdych and Lopez. Lopez seemed to be a bit daunted by the net yesterday too…the courts are like velcro.

The thing about Berdych is he is a bit of a disappointer. If you happen to be rooting for him…not that I have. Although at klacr's behest I have been following him with more interest than I normally would. I say normally because I find his style of play to be irritating. The same can be said for Kevin Anderson. Two big healthy athletes playing the junior game. Strong grip forehand, two handed backhand and virtually incapacitated by net play. But Tomas has pummelled Kevin all these times without a blemish it would stand to reason that once more at this critical juncture of the season wouldn't be asking too much…would it? We'll see. At this point I wouldn't underestimate his capacity to disappoint. But on the other hand if he wins and should happen to meet Federer in the semis it could be very, very interesting.

Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic are locked into a quarterfinal meeting which is unfortunate and fortunate at the same time. Murray is really sharp…or so it appears. He has done the work…he is paying the price for his success. He has a French babe (is it alright to call a gay woman a babe?) as a coach in Paris and he absolutely demolished Grigor Dimitrov yesterday. Grigor's coach looked positively ill or livid. One or the other. Novak for his part is a beginner…at changing diapers and it will be interesting to see how his emotional state is. He may be inspired…or burned out by the stinky's.

David Ferrer rolled over homeboy Fernando Verdasco and is looking at a very dangerous and very compact "Samurai Kid" Kei Nishikori. Nishikori looked very impressive in taking down France's own "Baby Bull" Jo Wilfried Tsonga. I don't think that David has the guns to match the kid's sword.

Berdych has already been discussed and perhaps it is best to not say anything more except "good luck". We don't want to jinx him. Which brings us to the main draw…Roger Federer. He is the glue that is keeping the whole thing together. Professional tennis. Without him…the air rapidly goes out of the balloon with a loud sucking sound. The French kid that he played yesterday was a nice warm up for him but now it is time to face reality and the huge serve of Milos Raonic. Perfect conditions for Federer to play Milos on. A velcro tennis court in front of an adoring throng of Parisians.

I have been watching a lot of tennis. Doing rehabilitation exercises. Walking the doggy. Going out into the back yard (20 acres worth) to sit in the hunter's perch. Breathing the air. Watching the birds. Watching the sun traverse the southern sky. Taking it easy. Day dreaming. Thinking about things. Wishing the world would do the same. Joan Rivers said, "calm down everybody". Not a bad idea.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 10-30-2014, 11:22 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2753 users online. 6 members and 2747 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X