Arthur Ashe Recollected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur Ashe Recollected

Arthur's influence both in tennis and humanitarianism is sufficient to justify fictive as well as biographical treatment. Tennis Channel's series "Arthur Ashe Recollected"-- used to kick off larger documentary-- includes episodes provided by Yannick Noah, Charles Pasarell and Andrew Young, the former mayor of Atlanta. These testimonials are so good that one hopes the series will continue and expand to less well known figures influenced by Arthur even if they didn't know him personally.
    Last edited by bottle; 10-31-2014, 03:23 AM.

Terri Laveda, Captain of the Weyer's Cave College Women's Tennis Team in Virginia

We were undefeated my senior year, both men and women. That said, I only liked the women. The men liked me, I guess because they thought I was extremely pretty but I didn't like them.

Despite my position at number one for all four years, nobody ever was curious about how I acquired my game. Through reading anything by Arthur Ashe, then taking his lessons out on the court. Frankly speaking, I despise all tennis writers and for that matter all tennis teachers other than Arthur.

By the way, if it matters, as you can see in your TV screen, I'm white.
    Last edited by bottle; 10-31-2014, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Jim Kacian, Captain of the Bates College Men's Tennis Team in Maine

Before I became an editor of haiku poetry, I gave tennis lessons in different parts of Virginia.

Sometimes I would encounter a student who wanted to play like Arthur. I would always discourage him. Arthur's strokes were just too idiosyncratic and unique. Other than his smoothness, there was nothing to imitate-- not if one wanted to do well.

If the student still didn't believe me, I would demonstrate the humped nature of Arthur's wrist on his famous backhands as I'm doing right now.
      Last edited by bottle; 10-31-2014, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Bob Monroe, Captain at Southern Methodist

My brother and I were picked out by Arthur for special treatment involving financial and training support.

My day job as White House guard put me in contact with a lot of people, and one day Monica Seles and her mother came through. Psychologically, Monica had not yet recovered from her stabbing a year or two before.

They were trying to blend into the normal group for that time slot. But I started to tell them about Arthur's support, and then I gave them a private tour.

A few days later, a Yonex racket arrived in the mail. It was cracked, but I treasure it and have it still.

Comment

Arthur and Johnnie

Stream the latest episode of 30 for 30 on Watch ESPN. ESPN's award-winning documentary series.

I can't yet find Eugene Scott's written description of walking into the mess hall at West Point and receiving a complete surprise after Arthur won the U.S. Open in 1968 .

Arthur and Gene had prepared Arthur for the Forest Hills tournament by hitting with each other day after day at West Point.

The standing ovation they received was the longest in the history of that place atop the western bank of the Hudson River and nobody got to eat, at least not for a very long time.

From my standpoint, which was growing up on a mountain directly across the water, this was West Point's greatest moment ever.

Note: As an anti-foolish-war activist, I have never believed the contention of some Vietnam vets that they were spat upon when they returned to the USA. Johnnie Ashe in this video finally makes me believe it.

But no, Jane Fonda never spat on anybody. People made that up.

Although the treatment by some Americans of returning vets was disgraceful, the opposite extreme is disgraceful, too.

That would be the fawning over our military at large sports events and at the presidential level whether white or black as "the greatest fighting force the world has ever known."

Extreme fawning over the military encourages more foolish war. "My country right or wrong" makes no sense. "My country right" does make sense.
          Last edited by bottle; 10-31-2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

As a commentator, Ashe would often say, "He over hit that.", while the ball missed by inches or so. The next time the same shot landed in by inches, he would say, "Great shot!" A friend of mine disagreed with me, at first, until he actually watched a match, and he later admitted that I was right about it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
              As a commentator, Ashe would often say, "He over hit that.", while the ball missed by inches or so. The next time the same shot landed in by inches, he would say, "Great shot!" A friend of mine disagreed with me, at first, until he actually watched a match, and he later admitted that I was right about it.
              Winning takes care of everything Geoff.

Comment

A couple of inches takes care of everything Arthur Ashe style.

Comment

Arthur on Backhands

On backhands (one handers) Arthur urged most players to "put more hand behind the ball," a comment on grip.

This seems a clear example of "Do as I say, not as I do," and shows the level of his communication and care for others.

Other advocacy is for three basic followthroughs: elbow pointed to side for flat shots, elbow turned slightly upward for slice, elbow pointed down for a full topspin shot.

The simplicity of this SOUNDS great. I wonder if it applies however to grip different from that used by himself.

In the old video package TENNIS OUR WAY, Arthur says to "sling the racket at the ball."

In MASTERING YOUR TENNIS STROKES, the photography of Arthur's full topspin backhand-- the closest one will probably ever get to the last sentences of John McPhee's famous book LEVELS OF THE GAME, one sees right arm severely flipped over (elbow pointed down) and left arm curved behind Arthur as counterbalance.

The left arm is not extended up so that the two arms form the V of victory as in McPhee's conclusion.

Jim Kacian suggested to me that John McPhee was using literary license.

Federer and Wawrinka both turn over arm on their backhands at least by end of followthrough. Carla Suarez-Navarro, who has a long and great one hander too, keeps racket on edge all the way through the stroke just as Arthur's friend Ed Faulkner advises. Arthur wrote the introduction to ED FAULKNER'S TENNIS.

Only an idiot gets hung up in piddly historical concern, e.g., the date the manhole cover was invented compared to sanitation ideas. The real question for any one hander is, "Do I want to roll or not?"

Once one constructs firm thumb ON A DIAGONAL on panel seven, one does best keeping racket on edge through the whole stroke is my personal take.

The discussion has to do with 1) a wish for consistency and clean contact, 2) personal talent, 3) how many tennis matches one plays in a week.
                  Last edited by bottle; 11-04-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Arthur Growing Up Calling Lines Dr. Johnson's Way

Dr. Johnson's idea was that since the clubby and stuffy white boys whose society the black boys were trying to crash would try to hook the black boys on line calls, the black boys should mentally extend every tennis court an extra foot in all directions so as to call any close ball in.

This should be a great lesson for anyone.
                    Last edited by bottle; 11-04-2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I have never seen anyone, once cheated, start calling balls in that are a foot out. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I'm pretty sure Ashe never did it either. He always struck me as an extreme competitor. That is the type who will cheat esp. on important points. These guys know what and why they are going to do.

Comment

It's more simple than this, namely, be generous in your line calls and you won't go wrong.

No, I tried the extra foot thing too and couldn't do it, was more competitive than that.

I see education value in the story, that's all.

It does contain the idea of dealing with an oppressive opponent in a better way than throwing a racket at his head (or beheading him).

I don't know what Arthur did or didn't do with the knowledge. So maybe the story is more about Dr. Johnson than him but Arthur was lucky to have such a good teacher.

My experience has been that in most cases the bad calls even out, so cooling it for the time being is usually the best route. Inevitably though you've got to stand up for yourself. You don't expect to change the call but you do just barely let your opponent know that you think he hooked you and you're on to him. If it's true, he may think twice next time and give you he benefit of the doubt.

Is there a distinction here between an informal match and a tournament-- should line-calling for one be different for one than for the other? Probably.

Conclusion: If you have any doubt at all the ball was in. Also, the Dr. Johnson story has a social dimension. This was a way for persons of color to deal with a loaded situation. Also, Arthur's manners were very good whether that came from Dr. Johnson or from elsewhere or both.
                        Last edited by bottle; 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

The Definition of "Class"...

The definition of class is grace under pressure. Look in the dictionary…I hope that you will see Arthur Ashes' picture under that word.

Although he did slip just a bit in his remarks after the 1972 U. S. Open men's final when he lost an epic 5 setter against the mercurial Ilie Nastase. He chastised Ilie on his behaviour even though for Ilie he behave like a saint.

But no…the pressure on Mr. Ashe during those years was unbelievable. Consider in Detroit the "race riots". One year later Arthur won the first U. S. Open of the Open Era of tennis. Quite an accomplishment in the face of the toughest of pressure. Pure class. Not a hint of indignant attitude.

Real class…a credit to his race. The human race.
                          don_budge
                          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
                            I have never seen anyone, once cheated, start calling balls in that are a foot out. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I'm pretty sure Ashe never did it either. He always struck me as an extreme competitor. That is the type who will cheat esp. on important points. These guys know what and why they are going to do.
                            The idea, wasn't it, to put the extra margin around the court into effect BEFORE the first instance of cheating.

Comment

Tennis is more enjoyable if you make calls in favor of your opponent.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9008 users online. 11 members and 8997 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X