The Belle Epoque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Belle Epoque

Let's talk about Philip Picuri's first article for Tennisplayer, "The Belle Epoque"!

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Let's talk about Philip Picuri's first article for Tennisplayer, "The Belle Epoque"!
    I am all over Brian Gordon's stuff! Cherry picking, cherry picking and cherry picking!
    Last edited by hockeyscout; 11-05-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Brian is awesome and this piece is charming. Phil is a multi dimensional guy! The drawings are just fabulous.

Comment

Great article from Phil. Tennis memories for sure. I love seeing forum regulars contribute to this site.
        It's also great seeing the different cultures and stories from tennis sites around the world. This sport attracts so many "characters". We've all experienced tennis players in our life times that are similar to those that Phil has detailed. There is no passion quite like the one some people have for their tennis. Great Job Phil and thanks to John for publishing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Great.

Comment

When I saw Phil had done an article for Tennispayer, I knew straight away knew it would be on the creative side.

The article paints a lovely picture of tennis club characters. My club is a committee run club. We own our own land and premises. Our club is run by the members for the members. It has no one owner. We collectively own the club with our subscription fees that we pay each year. This makes us non-profit driven. We seek to fund our own existence and nothing more.

Why do I say all this?

Because you end up with a club full of characters like those in Phil's article. Characters desperate to get a section of the club run how they want. It makes for interesting viewing I can tell you.

Funny how you always get those that never want to pay for a drink...or pay for anything.
            Stotty

Comment

A face from the forum…"The Belle Epoque"

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
              Originally posted by bottle View Post
              Great.
              Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              When I saw Phil had done an article for Tennispayer, I knew straight away knew it would be on the creative side.
              It was just superb. An elegant portrait standing still in time. Saint Phil writes just like he draws and paints. Not one anti-John McEnroe remark either. A fine contribution from one of the forum crowd…of which you might paint a rather interesting picture as well. Just great!
              Last edited by don_budge; 11-10-2014, 03:07 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I remain blown away by the excellence of these first rate portraits, which suggest to me the satirical sketches of Edgar Degas or William Hogarth or the best work of editorial cartoonists past and present in Great Britain or here in the states or anywhere. Not that somebody or something is specifically being made fun of-- well maybe in the most gentle treatment of the sometimes wonderful and refreshing inflexibility of people set in their ways. The thing is, though, we can't, at least I can't, forget these drawings, and I remember them at any time when I'm just walking or limping around. And they of course remind one of people one knows in one's own life.

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                  I remain blown away by the excellence of these first rate portraits, which suggest to me the satirical sketches of Edgar Degas or William Hogarth or the best work of editorial cartoonists past and present in Great Britain or here in the states or anywhere. Not that somebody or something is specifically being made fun of-- well maybe in the most gentle treatment of the sometimes wonderful and refreshing inflexibility of people set in their ways. The thing is, though, we can't, at least I can't, forget these drawings, and I remember them at any time when I'm just walking or limping around. And they of course remind one of people one knows in one's own life.
                  I'm just terrified that Phil knows what I look like. He could be up late any of these nights drawing a portrait of me. haha. All kidding aside, I keep going back to this article and re-read it. I've done that about 6 times already. I just love it. Thanks for sharing Phil.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                      Yes, this piece is very cool Phil.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3444 users online. 6 members and 3438 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X